“A Nice Pick in the Cherry Capital: Traverse City, Michigan” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cherry Tree Inn & Suites
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Carlock,Illinois
“A Nice Pick in the Cherry Capital: Traverse City, Michigan”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2009

My wife and I spent four days in Traverse City Michigan and our stay at the Cherry Tree Inn and Suites made our visit that much more enjoyable. The staff was most kind and helpful with information on where to eat and what to see. This year the lake was down and the beach was not what I would have liked but this is typical of the property along Lake Michigan's shoreline. It will change from year to year. The rooms were comfortable, quiet and had a relaxing vibe to them. The complimentary breakfast served hot food as well as the usual cold fare and was well attended by all the guests. There is plenty to do in TC and many hotels/motels where we could have stayed. I think we picked a winner with Cherry Tree Inn & Suites. We will be back.
Marc & Leslie Thomas

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jpack, Front Desk Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 22, 2009
Hi Mr. and Mrs. Thomas!

You two are wonderful. Thank you for your review. We really enjoyed you as guests, and we're so glad that you enjoyed the stay and our staff. We wish you a great year and would love to have you back. We look forward to more fun jokes!

Jonathan P.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Carleton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2009

While I had read on other reviews that some of the rooms had been remodeled; I hoped that my family and I would have gotten one of those rooms but sadly we did not. The room smelled musty/mildewed and I complained to the front desk and was given a bottle of Febreze which I sprayed on the sleeper sofa and carpeting. I really thought for the price, the room would have looked better. Another downfall of the room was being on the first floor. I mention this because of all of the ducks that walk around the property and are being fed by other guests. We would wake up to find food debris and several empty butter packets that people in the upper floors had thrown down all over the lounge chairs and around our patio area.

As others have reported, the beach in not that great. My children didn't mind walking through the oily muck but I went out and purchased water shoes before I walked down to the water.

On a positive note; the staff is outstanding! Jessica at the front desk was very helpful in pointing out different things to see and do as this was our first trip to the TC area. Everyone was extremely polite and courteous, which is something that is getting rarer and rarer these days.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Hello!

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry that your room had a musty smell to it. Normally, at this time of year, smells like that are due to an air unit that has collected moisture and needs to be cleaned. I'm sorry that you experienced that as our air units are on a routine cleaning schedule. I will check with our maintenance staff and have them do a double check of their maintenance lists.

I have addressed the issue of handing a guest Fabreeze and calling it good. That is absolutely unacceptable to me, and I have not only talked to the Front Desk Staff, but I have also talked to the housekeeping and maintenance staff as well. Smells do occur form time to time - just like a home - but they are to only addressed by the hotel staff - not a guest. I am terribly sorry for that unprofessionalism with that situation.

We are working on a solution for the ducks. Obviously, we can't rid the property of ducks, but we are working to do a proper way of asking guests to be more respectful of our first-floor guests by not feeding ducks or throwing any items of their balconies. It's not safe.

I am glad that you enjoyed our staff. We do work hard to please each and every guest and their requests. It's important to us that our service is always top-notch.

Please let us know if you need anything else. I hope you have a good August.

Jonathan
Grosse Pointe
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2009

The room was spacious, including a whirlpool tub. The kitchenette, including a full size refrigerator was especially nice. We have stayed in the area previously ans would return to the CHerry Tree Resort for our next "getaway".
The staff were fiendly & helpful, providing recommendations for local restaurants.
The grounds were nicely manicured and obviously well cared for.
The balcony and view were fantastic!
It was nice to have the opportunity to rent personal watercraft, boats, etc nearby.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dondaGrossePointe
Jpack, Front Desk Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 12, 2009
Hello!

Thank you so much for your kind review. I'm glad you enjoyed the suite, the grounds, and the staff. Glad you made it home safely, too!

Blue Sky Rentals does our watercrafts rentals, and it's really nice they are on our beach with a variety of equipment for our guests.

We look forward to having you visit again. Summer seems to finally be here with 80 degree sunny days all this week!

new jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2009

Our stay in Traverse City was made even more enjoyable by the accommodations at the Cherry Tree Inn. It met all of our expectations as to the courtesy of the staff, cleanliness of the room, the great view of the bay from our room (so nice to wake up to the sight of the water in the morning sun), and of course the wonderful food selections offered in the breakfast room overlooking the pool. The convenience of the wireless internet connection was also a plus, in addition to the laundry facilities provided. We loved TC and look forward to returning to the town and the hotel again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jpack, Front Desk Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 7, 2009
Hello!

Thank you for your review. We're so glad that you enjoyed your stay and met your expectations. The views are fantastic! You can see from the new picture we posted that the water can be just like glass. When I took that picture, the water was incredible, too. I was expecting colder, but it was just wonderful. If I didn't have a camera around my neck, I would have dipped my head under!

Hope you have a great August. We look forward to having you back.

Cleveland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2009

I spent a lot of time looking for the best place to stay for our visit to Traverse City. I found the Cherry Tree, read the reviews, looked at the picks, called and got a great deal. I was a little concerned bc of some of the reviews. However, I was also impressed the manager took the time to get online and write a response to them. The staff is wonderful. On the phone and in person they were great!

Unfortunately when we walked into our room, it was a first floor room, it was VERY musty and even smelled bad. We arrived quite late so just went to sleep. I hoped running the AC on high would clear the musty tone to the air. It did not. The room was also sparse and run down. Not at all what I expected from a hotel that had an internet rate of almost $300 a night! If I had paid that much for this room I would have been livid.

I also would agree with the other reviews about the beach. There really isn't one.

We decided to check out as soon as we woke up, as I knew we had their last room.

The front desk was extremely apologetic. The manager did not come out to talk to me, but from the back he agreed to comp the one night we were there.

The front desk clerk was very nice and said that our room issues were not at all typical of the hotel.

So, the service side was great. But the room was not. Can't say if other rooms are that much different. The good thing to know is that if you do go there and you are not satisfied you can rest assured they will do what is right. For that I am grateful!

I will not give them a "thumbs down" bc they did refund us when we weren't happy.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jpack, Front Desk Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 3, 2009
Hello!

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We always appreciate all the reviews of our property. For only 76 rooms, we have wonderful guests who love to let us know what we do well and what we can improve on. Thank you for that!

I'm sorry that you felt the room was a run down. Although our rooms are well maintained for a ten-year-old property, we are putting plans together for a full remodel. Our five-star staff would love to provide a brand new hotel right now, but we're also happy with our property. The rooms are large and clean, but we do want to put a little more sparkle on them with a remodel. Thank you for your concern on this as well.

I'm glad you enjoyed our staff. We are just like you and all of our guests, so we put ourselves in your shoes and be as understanding as possible. Most importantly to us is that you enjoy your time in Traverse City and have a nice vacation. It's not just about our guests. We strive to help every person that requests help from us. Being helpful to everyone is the right thing to do to help our community, locally and nationally. It's party of hospitality and we love it.

Have a good August. Hope you come visit in the future and enjoy the T.C. area again.

Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2009

My wife and I (and children as they were born) have stayed at the Cherry Tree Inn for a total of 5 times in the past 9 years and we probably won't be back again.

The positives: The remodeled 1st floor suite we stayed in this year was nicely furnished, had a great layout, and offered a great view of the bay. The indoor pool and spa were both clean and uncrowded. The front desk staff was very friendly and courteous. The breakfast was good although overcrowded at times. The hotel is nicely located.

The negatives: The beach area is a joke. Although there is a lot of sand for the kids to play in, the sand does not have direct water access. To get to the water from the sand you have to either go through a field of weeds or walk through 30+ feet of mud. Honestly, my kids really didn't mind this but my wife and I did. I feel bad giving the Cherry Tree Inn a bad mark on their beach area since a lot of this is beyond their control but it is what it is. The housekeeping service was also spotty during our stay. We arrived to a partially unclean room...the pullout bed had dirty sheets and the counters, tables, and tv's were not wiped down and dusted. During our stay we requested a certain housekeeping time due to our toddler napping but this request wasn't fulfilled. I had to sign off to have no housekeeping 2 days and we had to leave the room another day. The overfriendly ducks were also a minor annoyance for those on the first floor because of the "business" we had to navigate around when outside our room.

Summary: The beach area is the deal breaker for us...there are a lot of other hotels on the western side of the Bay that don't have the weed/mud issue. Because of this, I cannot currently recommend this hotel. The housekeeping issue was hopefully a fluke.

We received a night free off our stay this year from Jonathon.

1 Thank tandrjohn
Jpack, Front Desk Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 28, 2009
Hello!
Thank you for your review of our property. Although it's not the review we would like to see, it's important for us to see what we need to improve on when there is an issue.
I am so sorry that you had trouble with the cleanliness of your room. That shouldn't happen ever and it is something that we can control - that's why I helped you out with the complimentary night because it not only didn't meet your expectations, but it didn't meet ours either.
Again, I am sorry for our beach, and you're right when you say it is beyond our control. We are doing everything that we can under the government agencies (DEQ and Army Core of Engineers) that oversee our beach. We are looking into other possibilities now so we can make it as nice as possible for our guests.
I'm sorry that you feel you can' t recommend us even though you had a nice room, nice Front Desk service and still enjoyed the hotel. I do hope you try us again.

Indianapolis, Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2009

I knew. I knew from other reviews that this beach was full of weeds. But I didn't know it was that disgusting.

When I opened the window overlooking the "beach", the air smelled like manure. I wondered if there was any farm near this hotel. We went outside to get a closer look at the "beach". Basically, sand beach was nonexistent. It has been severely infested by weeds and turned into a swamp. See the photos I attached. As you can see on the manager's reply to other reviews, each hotel alongside this beach has shaved some of the weeds, maybe 30 x 60 ft to access the water. The shaved area was muddy, with bird poops all over. This area was the source of the disgusting odor. The swamp had nests of birds.

This is not the hotel's fault. It is the mother nature who did this to the Sugar Beach. Miles and miles of the sand beaches have turned into similar swamps in this Traverse city area. The beach on the Traverse City State Park seemed to be still in good shape though.

Rooms. If you are staying in this hotel, you'd better pick one of the updated room. We stayed at the older room and it had musty odor (like rotten mushrooms). I am usually not a sensitive person to smell, but I just could not tolerate this odor. Furniture was all outdated, colors on the sofa fabrics were washed out. The room was clean.

Breakfast. The menu was standard for any complimentary hotel breakfast. Dining area was very small for this size of a hotel. We saw 7-8 people always standing and waiting for other people to finish their breakfast during the peak. There are overflow dining area in the patio (two more tables) and in the sun room on the other side of the building but it is so inconvenient.

Staff. Very friendly and helpful. Nothing to complain about.

Summary:
1. If you are planning to stay at this hotel for a white sand beach experience, don't. This hotel should have been a fantastic place if the beach had not turned into disgusting swamp. Again, it is the mother nature and not the hotel's fault. I really hope this area will be able to restore the beautiful sand beach again.
2. Stay in upgraded rooms. I had the chance to see the upgraded rooms and those were very nice. Older rooms are very outdated and not worth the price.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Hello!

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay.
Thank you for the pictures of the beach to inform our future guests. We have new pictures as well and will be posting those today. Now people can see the area that we are working to revitalize. Yes, that area did have a smell similar to manure, but that was from the vegitation that we were allowed to turn over. It is getting better from our grooming process and the smell has gone away. Our guests can also see our sandy area at the top that we have been telling everyone. The entire portion closest to our buildings and the width of our buildings is all sugar sand. The second picture that you took is of a area that we are not allowed to touch. That's the area that is protected by the federal government agencies. We can't disturb the grasses, the wildlife, the sand, and anything else.
I'm sorry for the musty smell in your room. At times, our air conditioning units will develop an odor from built-up moisture. We do clean them up as part of our preventative maintenance program. I'm sorry that your unit smelled, but we will fix that. I'll be sure to let our maintenance know to check the rooms for a unit that needs the clean out earlier.
Thank you again for your review and I'm glad you had a safe trip home.