“Surprise 37th Anniversary Getaway”

Cherry Tree Inn & Suites
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Vassar, Michigan
“Surprise 37th Anniversary Getaway”
Reviewed April 25, 2009

Last week, April 15th-17th we stayed at the Cherry Tree Inn & Suites in Traverse City, Michigan. My husband found the hotel on the internet and did not tell me where we were going to surprise me for our 37th wedding anniversary and what a beautiful surprise it was. The water was beautiful off the balcony of our room and the hotel was very neat and clean and everyone was friendly.
When we first got there we were asked to put down our license plate number, so my husband went out to check what it was and your sweet young lady behind the counter started talking to me about our stay. I told her that he surprised me and it was our 37th anniversary. Maybe 10 minutes after we got to our room there was a knock on the door. The lady said this if for you. It was a box of really good chocolates sent to us by the hotel! We were pleasantly surprised.
The next day we stopped back down to the check out desk to get directions to some of the attractions in Traverse City. It wasn't the same young lady, but very pleasant just the same. I asked her how the hotel gets such pleasant people with great & kind personalities to work for them. She replied that the hotel requires it, which is great, but they also must have a gift of picking people who are very conscientious and truly kind.
Thanks so much for the great time!
Jerry & Nancy Ellis

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Korean first
Jackson, Michigan
Reviewed April 24, 2009

This hotel was great......staff extremely friendly from check in to check out. I would definitely go back and recomment to others.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Jpack, Front Desk Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 27, 2009
Hello!
Thank you for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and our staff. I hope you had a safe trip home and have a wonderful spring - those nice showers recently really greened everything up!
Alpena
Reviewed April 22, 2009

We stayed at the Cherry Tree Inn from 4/17-4/19 in room 414 and there are some things about the room that were great. We loved the private balcony overlooking the bay! Also loved the little kitchenette. The front desk was very friendly when we checked-in. We were also very impressed with how quiet the room was. BUT the beds & pillows are absolutely HORRIBLE! We both tossed & turned all night because they were so uncomfortable. I would not stay here again unless I KNEW I was getting an updated room with a newer bed & pillows! We found the wicker chairs very uncomfortable to sit in and there are only two. We were hoping for a better experience based on all the great reviews that we read here, so you can say we were definitely disappointed.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Jpack, Front Desk Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 25, 2009
Hello!
Thank you so much for your review. I really appreciate the time you took to help us. I'm glad you enjoyed the service and quietness of our hotel. I am sorry for the beds, though. I'm a really bad judge of our beds because I can sleep on any horizontal service (a gift of being a young guy - I know this won't last long). I do think our beds are comfy, but I understand that most people are switching to pillow-tops today. We are working to do all of our rooms as pillow-tops, and I will certainly let everyone know when that happens.
Again, thank you so much for your stay and your kind comments regarding our service and rest of our hotel. Have a wonderful spring.
Michigan
Reviewed April 14, 2009

Rooms were standard but nice had tv in bathroom with a balcony overlooking the lake. Pool/hot tub area was nice. B-fast was good and had plenty of variety. Sitting room on the 2nd floor overlooking the lake was beautiful.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Jpack, Front Desk Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 15, 2009
Thank you for your kind review. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and the beautiful lake. Now that it's spring, we can finally see the beautiful teal waters without ice being in the way! I hope you have a great rest of spring. Thank you again.
Bonaire, Georgia
Reviewed April 13, 2009

My husband and I had a very nice stay here last Fall and told our children we would take them here, we had enjoyed it so much. This trip was the absolutely worst we have ever experienced. The young man who originally booked us was great, very helpful. As soon as we checked in the young man behind the desk was not pleasant. No smile, no late checkout since it was Easter and we wanted to go to church in the morning. He stated I would have to call at 7AM and only one room per floor was allowed. Was told we would have a map for Church waiting when we arrived and I told him this - was not given it. Had originally requested same room we had stayed in - he gave us one 2 floors down and after reminding him of this he changed our room. Our room was the same but after checking for bedbugs (always do) I found some stains going down the wall and on mattress like vomit. Sheets were both to short to cover mattress. By the time my husband woke up the sheets were all off the bed. I slept with my daughter (if you can call it sleeping) Mattresses were so hard, it was painful. We had originally planned on coming the weekend before but had to change it because I had hurt my shoulder and have been going to physical therapy - It finally HAD felt better. I called and requested a feather pillow (pillows are horrible) which the first time we stayed they did send one up. This time the girl at the front desk said she would not know where to find one. The pool was ice cold, the hot tub barely much warmer. Fact in the morning they put up a sign saying it was broken. Breakfast was Ok, but I found that there was not a staff member there that was pleasant and that would make us come back. I find that can make or break any experience. I do not know if they changed management , or why such a change. The price was right but - you get what you pay for. Pay a little more and get a welcoming, warm - please come back - stay, somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank geomifamily
Hello!
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry there were so many things that you disliked with your most recent stay. First, regarding the young gentleman, Caleb, at the desk, he did warn management right away that he thought you were unhappy with him and he wasn't sure what he could do better. Caleb told us that he had your map ready for you at the desk, but you had walked away and he was unable to contact you. He is sorry that he wasn't able to get the map to you.
In regards to late check-outs, we only were able to accept a few because of our extreme busyness. If there is a day where we can accommodate late check outs and those late check outs won't harm another guests arrival for that day, we will certainly do more than normal. But we were, as weird as it sounds, uncharacteristically busy this past week, including Sunday night. We saw summer occupancies with a winter staff. This was absolutely unexpected, so I'm sorry we couldn't accommodate more late check-outs to help you. We don't give late check-outs ahead of time because we never know when a housekeeping staff member may become sick or is in an accident on their way to the hotel. Also, by giving late check-outs in the morning on the day of departure we can better estimate our availability for all of our guests – departing and arriving guests.
Regarding the stains in the room, we did investigate and couldn't find any stains, especially resembling vomit. We also couldn't smell anything resembling that sort of stain. If you could please contact me at the hotel, I would appreciate it so we can double check the spot that you saw.
I'm sorry if you thought you stayed 2 floors down than the room you stayed in before. I looked it up when you made the reservation because we had a note you would like the same room as before, and we were able to get you in the same room you had stayed before on the fourth of our five floors. I'm sorry if there was any confusion regarding that.
It was may fault regarding the feather pillows. I didn't properly train my staff regarding the location of our feather pillows. I did train them this past Tuesday regarding where to find our feather pillows. I'm sorry for that inconvenience to you. That was absolutely my fault and responsibility.
I am sorry that you found none of our staff friendly to you, but I assure you that we have a very friendly, helpful staff. I know there isn't anything I can do to take back your stay, but I do hope you try us again in the future to see that we do have something special at our hotel. Please contact me with any questions or concerns you still may have.
Hastings, MI
Reviewed April 6, 2009

I have stayed overseas in swanky hotels and stayed in pest infested dives here in the states.

For the price and time of year, Cherry Tree is by far the best value I've ever experiences. For $60 a night, we had an unobstructed view of Grand Traverse Bay (we saw a bald eagle...how cool is that?), a hotel room that was five times the size of an average room, a jacuzzi, swimming pool, great food, fridge and microwave....and two tvs, fireplace, and three phones.

The hotel is located on US 31, a busy road, and even with our porch door open (oh yeah, there is a balcony) you could only hear the gulls and ducks on the water.

In peak season, I would easily pay $200 a night for this room. I'm a frugal traveler, so, I recommend calling ahead and looking for deals.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Jpack, Front Desk Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 8, 2009
Thank you for review and your very kind comments. I'm glad that you enjoyed the room and the view. The bald eagles are very cool - we usually have two that sweep our beach front in the summer. Beautiful birds! Have a nice spring!

saginaw, mi
Reviewed April 3, 2009

My wife and I went for an overnight stay but wound up staying for two nights instead,we did not want to leave. If it were not for my work schedule we would have stayed longer.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Jpack, Jonathan at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 8, 2009
Hello! Thank you for your review. I'm glad you at least got 2 days in before you had to go back to work. Hope your drive home was safe. Have a nice spring.