“A great hotel but a little pricey” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cherry Tree Inn & Suites
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“A great hotel but a little pricey”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2014 via mobile

My friends and I stayed here for a weekend and we were very happy with our stay. The staff was great, we called in a few days before because we needed to check in a little early, they said it was no problem and the day of our arrival they called us to let us know the room was ready. They did forget the extra bed but it wasn't a problem they brought it up a little later. The room was very clean and spacious with a great view of the lake. We all enjoyed the breakfast, it had many options to choose from that changed daily. I loved that they had both an indoor and outdoor hot tub and pool. It did rain so it was nice to relax in the indoor hot tub. They provide chairs and and umbrella at the small private beach which was really nice, it was a little muddy but not that bad. The hotel is in a great location too, not far from some great restaurants, putt putt, and parks. Overall it's a great hotel but a little to pricey, I wouldn't have stayed here if I wasn't splitting the price with four others.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Molly C
Jonathan P, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Good afternoon!

Thank you so much for your stay and your review. I'm really happy that you enjoyed your stay - from our service to our amenities. I'm sorry that you felt it was a bit pricey, though. Unfortunately, Traverse City has become extremely popular in the summer. Our focus is on providing great value for rates that are similar to or less than other hotels in the area. We're proud to provide more amenities and higher quality amenities (HD TV's with HD channel programming and full HBO line-up, luxury bath soaps, Starbucks coffee in the rooms, Leelanau Coffee Roasting Company coffee - including cherry coffee - in our lobby 24 hours, Tazo teas in our rooms and lobby, two pools and two spas, shuttle service, and more). We will continue to make sure we are providing great amenities, top service, and competitive rates always. Thank you for your review and stay. Have a great end of August!

Jonathan P.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

Do to the small size of my house and the awkward location every year I rent a hotel room and invite friends over to hang out in it and two to stay the night. I've done this for a few years now and stayed in some not so nice hotels. This hotel was absutely one hundred percent perfect!
The hotel staff was respectful and helpful, even going as far to wish me a happy birthday. The room was far better than I thought I was getting considering the price. The pool was phenomenal and they had coffee with flavored creamers!
All considering I will definitely be staying again!

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Doctor_Hedgehog
Jonathan P, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 31, 2014
Hello Sweet 16-er! :)

Thank you for your recent stay and your kind review. So glad that we exceeded your expectations and I hope you have a wonderful return party next year. We're happy that you enjoyed our staff, our rooms, and our coffee and creamers!

Have a nice Labor Day and thank you so much!

Northern Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2014

The hotel has some nice features. The room was spacious, the bed was comfortable, and the lake view was pleasant, but frankly, the whole package was not worth the money. We paid a similar price as we have paid for a very nice hotel room in London, England, Barcelona, Spain, and Venice, Italy. and while Traverse City is pleasant, staying there doesn't warrant a level of expense equivalent to a hotel in a major European tourist destination. The breakfast isn't any better than the one you get at a Fairfield Inn or Country Inn and Suites. Today's offering consisted of biscuits and gravy; yesterday's was sausage patties and potatoes. No cooked eggs or breakfast sandwiches either day. C'mon people, can't you do better for the price? The check-in experience was poor; our room wasn't ready and while waiting in their lobby, no one came to tell us the room was ready; we had to go back to the desk and ask. Overall, disappointing.

Room Tip: Avoid any room with a view of the indoor pool.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank MDowd
Good day!

Thank you for your review and your stay. I'm really sorry that we didn't meet your expectations. We will certainly look at ways we can provide more value for the amount paid for our rooms. We do price our rooms equal or lower to other beach-front hotels in the area but we like to provide more amenities than most others - like two pools and spas, high-quality coffee in our lobby and in our rooms (Starbucks in the rooms and Leelanau Coffee Roasting in the lobby and breakfast), HD TV's with HD cable and full HBO line-up, Fiber Internet, beach-front amenities like fire pits, lounge chairs with cabanas, watercraft rentals, and more. We also offer complimentary shuttle service, too. And we do offer egg and sausage patties as well - they are offered every third day - we like to rotate our hot items to offer variety on our breakfast to go with all of our other items.

I am sorry, though, that better care wasn't done for your check-in experience. Normally, we take names and phone numbers and communicate the best we can. Your room should have been ready at check-in time, and for that I am sorry. I will work on both issues to better help all of our guests in the future.

Thank you for your review - it will greatly help us improve and do more for our guests. I do hope you come and visit our gorgeous area once again.

Flushing, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2014

My family and I stayed in a suite and although it was nice, it was not worth the price. Whoever said they have the BEST beach in Traverse City were so wrong.The staff was not very friendly and didnt seem to like kids. I will say though,that the breakfast was good and the library was a nice touch too. Overall, if you want to go for the beach, go to Grand or Sugar Beach which is where we ended up.

• Stayed August 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Deedollar
Good evening!

Thank you for your stay and your review. I'm terribly sorry for the poor service you experienced. That's certainly not to our expectations and not what you should have experienced. And we certainly do love kids - many of our staff have kids and love seeing and playing with them. That's part of the reason we have so many kid-friendly activities around the hotel and grounds like board games and books in our library, Sony Playstation 2's in our rooms, a playground on our beach, and more.

I am sorry that you didn't enjoy our beach. We are affected by heavy federal government restrictions. While we have 400 feet of sand on the top portion of our beach, the lower portion is heavily restricted and split into two sections - 200 feet of natural grass area and another 200 feet of hard-packed sand leading to the water's edge. We are lucky to have lots of space and shallow waters for kids to play in. We certainly would like more sand in the area and have it look like Grand and Sugar Beach's beaches, but, unfortunately, we are not allowed to add sand into the lower area due to federal restrictions. However, we are happy to have the area we have and it's certainly family friendly.

Thank you again for your stay and we will work better to provide excellent service every day - I did address this with my staff this week. Thank you!

Livonia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014

This was our very first trip to traverse city. Cherry Inn was a wonderful place to stay, I would recommend to any friends or family. The staff , polite, courteous. Place was immaculately clean. The continental breakfast was great, lots to choose from, recommend you do that early if you can . This was a 2 nights just my husband and I, there is a lot of families with kids. But we didn't mind at all because of how lovely this hotel is. You need to drive to go shopping downtown, but not far at all. There really isnt anywhere to take a walk as they are located at the end. Has this small tv area with teas and coffees thats available all night.

Room Tip: Room on lower level are walkout units
Green Features: Excellent , linen reuse program organic shampoos and lotions, tracks energy usage
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Diane557
Good evening!

Thank you so much for your stay with us and your review of our hotel! I'm really happy that you found our hotel so clean and that the staff was polite and courteous. Have a nice end of August and thank you for the nice picture, too! Hope you got a lot of great photos around our gorgeous area!

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014

As I am writing this, I have nothing but positive things to say about this place. Great place, great location! Not necessarily by downtown but close enough to everything. Rooms appear to be well kept and clean. Amenities are very reasonable with both an indoor and outdoor pool. They do have a game room and fitness room but its small. There is a bike/running trail across the street which is a plus. Another plus is that they have a boat rental booth on their property which you can rent kayaks, paddle boards, pontoon boats etc. Also, the lake water seems to stay real shallow for quite a distance before you hit the deep end which is good to know if you have little kids. I have a balcony facing the bay and its a nice view! Small private beach is also very nice. It's not a budget hotel but you get what you pay for right? Will be here for a few more days and I expect to be pleased with the rest of my stay here. I have already been recommending this place to family and friends!!

Room Tip: Balcony room with view of bay is very nice
Green Features: They do their share in trying to limit water waste and using recyclable products
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Boytribe
Jonathan P, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Hello!

I love your review that you're writing during your stay. I'm happy that you're enjoying it so far and I hope you continue to find other great hings to your liking. Please feel free to stop down and knock on my door and say "Hi" in the morning - or just make a funny face at me through my window. I'll enjoy either one!

Thank you!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014

We just returned from a four day stay at this hotel. The rooms were awesome, but the service was incredible. A special shout out to Matthew, who was working the concession stand at the pool. I was on the trip with four broken ribs, and he was very helpful to myself and my family during our stay. All the staff was very helpful. Location is great! Highly recommend and will definitely be back! Thank you!

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Smith08121024
Good day!

Thank you so much for your stay and your kind comments about our service, especially Matthew. It was also very nice that you pulled me aside to tell me how great he was during your stay. While I was sad to hear that you had experienced four broken ribs from a previous accident, I'm really happy that he was attentive to you and made you feel special - I have shared that with other team members so they are on the prowl to make other guests feel special.

Thank you so much and we'll be happy to welcome you back!