“Great Times at the Cherry Tree”

Cherry Tree Inn & Suites
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Michigan
“Great Times at the Cherry Tree”
Reviewed May 16, 2008

We have stayed at the cherry tree many times over the past few years. It is one of the nicest, cleanest hotels you will ever come across. It is one of the newest in TC and by far the best. The staff are super friendly and really care about your stay. Sometimes at night, you can just walk through the quiet lobby and just start up a random conversation with a desk clerk. Always nice after a long day in TC. This hotel have a continental breakfast from 7-10 am every morning great way to start your morning. (A negative though is that seating is limited and get pretty crowded at times, but never a major problem). There is an indoor pool and spa, game room, exercise room...typical of any hotel. This hotel also have a library off of the lobby, nice for family gatherings, read a book, play chess, even surf the web on the guest coputer. On the beach there is a playground, fun for kids big and small. There is also a putting green, nice for little kids. Another plus is the rooms..they are right "there is nothing stardard about the stardard room. All rooms come with microwave, fridge, (newly remodeled units have a cook top, i beleive) There is also televisions in the bathroom great for kids when the adults want to watch tv in the room. I highly recommebd the Widsor Suite (they changed the name I forget wht it is called now) but with this room you get a wrap around balconey overlooking the bay and a hot tub.

Also, the hotel have a "at home felling" half the time it will not even feel like a hotel, so quiet and relaxing.

There is really only one negative avout this property. The beach is horrible. but that doesnt turn me away. But beware of that.

To sum up great place

Keep up the great work Cherry Tree. You have a great hotel and staff keep it up.

We plan to return in 2009, (we are going to Disney this year so we wont be back till 09 hopefully. We cant wait to see the remodel. And like to see if that outdoor pool is coming still.

• Liked — Everything!!!!!!!
  • Disliked — The Beach
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Jpack, Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 20, 2008
Hello!

Thank you for your comments regarding our hotel and staff (we do like to gab with our guests). I'm glad that you enjoy your stays and I hope you have a safe and fun trip to and at Disney! We'll see you in 2009!

Cherry Tree staff

P.S. The Windsor Suite is now known as our Leelanau Suite.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Korean first
Michigan Center, Michigan
Reviewed May 5, 2008

We stayed at the Cherry Tree Condo Hotel a few months back and just wanted to say that this was a wonderful getaway! The property is clean and the staff is extremely friendly. We stayed in the Walloon Lake Suite, which had a beautiful view! And the room was quite spacious. The only critique I can possibly think of is that the bedding was a bit dated. The complimentary breakfast was a great extra! We will stay here again!

• Stayed March 2008
1 Thank Diver59
Hello,

Thank you for your kind comments and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. I will let our owner know your comments regarding our bedding. Last time he visited, he had mentioned updating all the beds in the hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed our breakfast as well. I think a lot of people are liking the new items -waffles, biscuits and gravy - that we have added to it.

I hope you have a nice spring. Looking forward to taking care of you again.

Cherry Tree Staff
Grand Rapids,mi
Reviewed May 4, 2008

A little disappointed in the room and how run down it was. Stains on the couch, tv remote didn't work in suite because couch was too far from tv, Pull out sofa was horrible. A big piece of foam for a trundle bed. Didn't sleep a wink. Loved this property 6 years ago when we stayed but it just wasn't taken care of this time around.

Stayed May 2008
Jpack, Front Desk Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 7, 2008
Hello Sir or Ma'am,

I am so sorry for the disappointment you found. I would greatly appreciate it if you contacted my either at the hotel (800-439-3093) or at my email address (jpack@cherrytreeinn.com), so I can find out which room you found disappointment in. I want to make sure everything is fixed and cleared up. That is certainly not up to our standards, and I am terribly sorry that your stay was a result of an oversite. Please contact me as soon as you are available.

Jonathan Pack
Michigan
Reviewed April 21, 2008

Thanks for a wonderful stay. My wife and I needed a two day getaway and spent a Sat. and Sun. night at the Cherry Tree. Jonathan, the front desk manager, was over and above, providing an easy check-in, great recommendations for dinning and I liked the fact that he remembers names! (Thanks for the cookies Jonathan).
The rooms were clean and large and we fortunately had an upper corner room with views of both the Bay and the sunsets. We liked that the rooms had microwaves, TV in the room and bath, fridge and safe. The hotel practices energy saving ideas and all areas seemed clean and quiet. My wife, an avid coffee drinker, said her only complaint would be to upgrade to a better coffee in the rooms and breakfast area. Keep up the good work Cherry Tree, we will be back! The McDonalds

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GreystokeMichigan
Jpack, Front Desk Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 29, 2008
Hello!
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay, and I'm glad you made it home safely. Have a great spring and we hope to see you soon.
Cherry Tree Staff
P.S. You two were a joy to talk to, and it was always fun helping you out around T.C.
Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed April 9, 2008

We were there in Aug. /01 and enjoyed 4 nights of trouble free relaxation and back again in Aug. /06 . Just booked July /08 for 5 nights and we expect the same. Friendly staff , clean pool / spa, and the room was loaded with extras like a TV and telephone in the bathroom. There is a nice shallow water beach for small children. All you have to do is drive 2-3 min. for food/shopping.

• Liked — spaceous clean room with terific view of east bay
  • Disliked — drive 2-3 min for food shopping
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank jasonoNiagaraFalls
Jpack, Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 13, 2008
Thank you for your review. We're glad you enjoyed your stays in '01 and '06. We hope you have an even better stay this July! Have a nice spring and a safe drive to T.C!
Cherry Tree Condo Hotel Staff
Midwest
Reviewed November 23, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Cherry Tree Inn for a weekend getaway in November and found the staff to be very friendly and the room to be clean and very spacious. We stayed in the Harbor Spring Suite and it was fantastic. We are planning to return next fall and have recommended this hotel to everyone we have spoken to.

• Liked — Large room, private balcony with wonderful view, privacy
  • Disliked — Traffic while trying to leave the parking lot
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BigRigDrivah
Jpack, Front Desk manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, December 4, 2007
Hello!

Thank you for your kind comments. I am almost positive I know who your are and I hope you got home safely. Thank you so much and have a great winter!

Cherry Tree Condo Hotel Management
Garden City Mi
Reviewed October 21, 2007

My family and I visited this place from May 31-June 3. Had no problem with the room. Probably the best I ever had. Loved the idea of a safe to put valuables in. Beach was starting to look pretty rank.
Management said they can't groom it without a government permit.
Well, go to the Cherry Tree web site now and see how bad it looks.
The water area looks even worse. The day I checked in May 31
didn't start very well either. I walked up to the front desk and stated who I was and the girl said I was supposed to be there on May 30 which wasn't true. I had called the inn directly and had made the reservation with the front desk manager. I mailed payment for our stay and never did receive a confirmation notice. Twice they tried to get me to pay for an extra night and i ikept insisting they were wrong in what they had as an arrival date. What ended up happening was they had to cancel my original reservation and try to find me a room
which they did after about 15 minutes and making myself and my family stew there the whole time. Finally a room was found and we settled in. On Sunday night the night before we left the front desk called our room and asked me to come down to the front desk and talk about trying to collect again for the extra night which really cheesed me off. I e-mailed the inn sometime after we got home about the problem and said how disappointed i was in how they handled the situation. Not even a chance was given to me and my family for a free night's stay. That would have been much better than the letter of apology I got telling me sorry at how the inn really mishandled the situation.

Stayed June 2007
1 Thank PETALS55
Dear sir or ma'am,
Yes, I did mix up your reservation for the wrong nights, and it was completely my fault. Being that it was my first time making a reservation by mail correspondance only, I mistakenly failed to send you a confirmation letter regarding your stay. If I would have sent it, you probably would've noticed the wrong dates of your reservation and had them fixed in time. Unfortunately, that is not how your stay panned out, but we did get you into a room identical to the one that was reserved. And we did accommodate you the way that we promised - after clarifying that we made a mistake with your dates.
Regarding our beach, although it is hard-packed sand and free of stone and pebbles, it did have grass growing on it this past summer, grass that is there because we are cooperating with the Department of Environmental Quality and the Army Core of Engineers. Hopefully, we will receive a permit next summer, allowing us to maintain our beach and keep it free from most grass, but we'll cooperate with the local, state, and federal government guidelines. Being that we are more affected by the low lake levels than most properties, we have to work with the government more than most properties as well. However, as a T.C. boy from birth and raising, the view and swimming quality of the teal waters of Grand Traverse Bay is always nice.
Again, I am deeply sorry that everything didn't go perfectly for your stay, but I do believe that we accommodated you as we said we would. Our only mistake was the wrong dates, but we were still easily able to correct the error. Also, I do understand that you may not come back to our property, but you can always contact our Front Desk staff for ideas of other properties to visit - we aren't partners with any others in T.C. or Michigan. We always want to care for everyone who is trying to enjoy our lovely area.

Cherry Tree Condo Hotel Management