“What we thought we booked wasn't what we got”

Cherry Tree Inn & Suites
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“What we thought we booked wasn't what we got”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

My husband and I spent the weekend at Cherry Inn celebrating our wedding anniversary. We booked the Leelanau suite since this was a special getaway. We picked this suite because of the description of the room's "privacy". When we arrived, we found we were on the first floor and our "private" balcony didn't exist -in fact, there was no privacy at all. The "private" patio was several steps from the public access steps to the beach. This is where all the smokers visiting at the hotel congregated and when we arrived, a large group of guests were getting their party started for the evening. We requested a different room. No other suites as what we booked online were available, so we were offered a studio. The Leelanau is a HUGE suite and well worth the price that we were planning to pay. The room was plenty big and had both the fireplace and jacuzzi we had booked the Leelanau for, however in comparison, was probably 1/2 the size of the original room we booked. The disappointment is that our total room rate with taxes ended up only be a mere few dollars less. This doesn't make any sense when you compare the room sizes. The other issue we had was that our air conditioner was really loud. Otherwise the rooms were clean and well suited and the staff friendly. The morning breakfast was more than adequate with the make yourself waffles, assortment of fresh fruit, yogurt and pastries. Plus they offered a hot item both mornings. The first was sausage gravy and biscuits and the second, sausage patties and egg patties. We would return but would negotiate our pricing better. The studio was not worth the price they charged us.

2 Thank Wife2Table45
Jpack, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Thank you for your review. I apologize that were weren't able to accommodate you on a higher floor in a Leelanau Suite. When we know a guest would like a higher floor, we make every effort possible to accommodate the request. I apologize that our reservation block wasn't open enough to meet your expectations. Our base pricing for our rooms does put there rooms at good moderate levels, but when we have a higher occupancy, our rates for rooms that are left available can fluctuate higher due to higher demand. I apologize that this wasn't better explained to help you. I will work with my staff to offer better information and explanations.

I am glad you our cleanliness and the rooms. We would certainly like to have you return to visit our area and our hotel again. Thank you so much. Have a wonderful day!

Jonathan P.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Korean first
Ann Arbor, MI
Reviewed September 26, 2012

It's difficult to find a hotel that offers what this one does. We stayed in a large clean suite on the water which had jacuzzi tub for 2 with a view and a private balcony. I really don't have any complaints other than the slow-ish elevator. I was debating on whether to give the hotel a 3 or 4 star. 3 is average. Considering what you get, it's far from average. Free breakfast was convenient with waffles, toast, juice, coffee, etc. Location is about a 5 minute drive from downtown TC. Parking is tight so don't be the last one in. Overall, the hotel is clean, the staff was helpful and the suites exceeded our expectations. Very nice surprise.

Room Tip: This is the first hotel on the water as you enter TC from the East. Pirates Cove (putt-putt, go-kar...
Hello!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm very pleased that we exceeded your expectations and enjoyed all the extra offerings we have for our guests. We'll continue to work on ways we can offer more for our guests. It makes us feel so good when we read comments like yours - we're doing something right and we'll continue on that path.

Thank you again. Have a wonderful and safe rest of the year.

Ft. Thomas Ky
Reviewed September 26, 2012

It was very clean. Nice breakfast included. Right on beach with views. Grand kids enjoyed the pirate ship playground. Location was convienet to restaurants, beach and all area attractions. Outdoor pool was new and nice.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Good evening!

Thank you for your kind review and your recent stay. We're so happy you enjoyed everything and our extra amenities that we offer. I hope you have a nice fall and do come visit again. Thank you!

Holly, Michigan
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We just recently got married on the beach in front of the Cherry Tree Inn in Traverse City. One word comes to mind..."perfect"! the entire staff of the hotel was great, the facility is very nice, and thankfully the weather held out. We can't say enough good things about Kristin and the rest of the staff, they really made us feel at ease and took great care of us. The rooms are awesome and the hotel is very kid friendly (pools inside and out!). We are already planning our return trip for next year. If your looking for a great place to stay in Traverse City, this is it!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Jpack, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Good day!

Thank you so much for your review and having your wedding on our beach. We're so thankful that the weather held out and you were able to have a gorgeous wedding ceremony. We're so happy for your and we wish you the very best in your marriage. Do come back to celebrate your anniversary. Have a wonderful rest of the year.

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My wife,son and I went to Cherry Tree Inn and Suites the second week of June of 2012. It was our
first time vacationing in the area. It was a good thing I traveled with a map and did not rely solely on the gps unit that I borrowed,because the unit was not able to get me there by using the address of the inn.
When we arrived we were greeted by a young lady named Kalee who was very nice and cheerful. Upon entering the room one of the first things I noticed was some rust that was on the doorframe of the bathroom. Other than that I was pleased with the way the room looked.
We had a very nice view of Grand Traverse Bay from our patio door.
During our stay the staff was helpful in accomodating our needs. I believe we ended up staying for four nights. Cookies were made available once a day during check in time which we really appreciated.
One thing I did not like was that the traffic where the inn was was very fast in my opinion. I think the speed limit should be lowered for the area, as there were other lodgings and businesses in the immediate area.
We liked the selections of food that were offered for breakfast also. I met a lady named Sandy that set up the breakfast one day. She was very pleasant and helpful.
Overall we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Good day!

Thank you so much for your recent stay and your review. I'm very pleased you enjoyed your stay, and I know Kaylee and Sandy will be thrilled to see that they helped you out.

We will certainly take the necessary maintenance procedures to make the room more presentable when guests first enter. And we agree on the speed limit, but we're glad we at least have a traffic light in front of our property to help guest get in and out easily.

Thank you again. Have a wonderful end of September.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed several nights and have mostly good things to say: clean room with pillowtop mattress; flatscreen TV in bedroom, small TV in bathroom; good breakfast; chocolate chip cookies at check-in, coffee service in lobby; great staff.
Minor quibbles: too many tables with tall chairs in breakfast room, hard to sit on; also bad layout of food service in breakfast area; no folding luggage holder in room, so have to find place to put suitcase; room had large empty area where a small sofa would have been good.

Room Tip: Take a beach view room .
Hello!

Thank you for your stay and your review. I'm glad you enjoyed our service and the extra touches we provide. Thanks for sharing your suggestions. We are working on plans to improve our breakfast room flow and area, and I am also working on putting luggage racks in all of our rooms next year. Currently, our dressers are designed for resting a suit case on (they are low and hard surfaced).

Thank you again. Have a wonderful rest of the year. Please do come visit again.

Northville, Michigan
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I had a plumbing issue the morning of the last day of my stay. They were more concerned with the issue than with helping me get my belongings either to my car or to another room to take a shower. No one offered to help me with my things and the entry way was flooded. I am lucky I did not slip and fall. When I asked for a partial discount on just the last day of my stay since I was inconvenienced, my leaving was delayed and I lost valuable time that I did not have, I was treated as if I inconvenienced them. When I sent a follow up email after getting home, I was told that I had delayed informing them of the issue. I called immediately. I find it rather rude to treat a customer this way. The manager is obviously young, inexperienced, unprofessional, immature and unaware that you do not treat customers this way. I will never stay at the Cherry Tree Inn again! Not worth it!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Sarah P
Jpack, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Dear Sarah P.,

Thank you for your recent stay. I would like to clarify some details of the issues you experienced during your recent stay. I apologize you weren't satisfied with the way the Cherry Tree Family handled the toilet issue, and I apologize that you weren't satisfied with my decision in not offering you a discount for what you experienced.

Our team responded well and quickly when you first notified us of your clogged toilet, which we found had been flushed so much that water had flowed out of the room, into the hall, out the exit door by the room, into the stairwell door, and out the other exit door in the stairwell. The toilet was in proper working condition, but we had not been notified when the toilet first became unusable and it was flushed multiple more times which caused the flooding of the bathroom and the area outside of the room. When my maintenance manager first arrived, he was able to clear the toilet and then communicate to the Front Desk immediately that you would need another room for you to finish preparing for your trip home that day. We quickly opened up a room for you to use and our maintenance manager offered a couple times if you would like our assistance with your luggage and belongings across the wet floor and carpet and you refused his offer each time.

While you were able to finish preparing in the other room we provided, we cleaned up the water and started our cleaning process. Upon checking out, you had asked me for a discount for the toilet issue. I decided not to provide one because it was an issue that could have been prevented had we been called when the toilet was first clogged. In subsequent emails you sent me you had expressed your displeasure with my decision and noted you would be providing a very poor review of your stay on Internet sites.

I truly apologize how everything unfolded and I wish we could have satisfied you with the prompt service we provided and offered when we were first notified of the troubles. We never want someone to be unhappy with their stay regardless of what happens. I do hope you have a nice rest of the year and I hope you are able to come and enjoy Traverse City in the future.