“The Suite life”

Cherry Tree Inn & Suites
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 3, 2012

As we chose a place to stay in Traverse City, it became pretty apparent that it wasn't going to be cheap. For a few bucks more than the chain places, we got a room at Cherry Tree. There were many appealing reasons to stay - and here's how they panned out:

1) Private beach access. Once you get past the muck (about 50 feet from the beach chairs) - you are out into the lake and it's pristine water. The area near the beach is very shallow - we were out at least a few hundred yards and it was still below the knees. The sand is beautiful, the water a decent temperature. Awesome.

2) Indoor pool - this came into play one day during a thunderstorm. Although a little chilly, we were able to splash around for a good half hour. They also had an outdoor pool, but we never made it there with the lake.

3) Good continental breakfast - Fruit, Oatmeal, Yogurt, Pastries, Waffles, and a rotating hot selection. A great start to each morning - no need to dine elsewhere.

4) Cookies at the check in desk. Chocolate Chip - my favorite.

5) Spacious room with walk out patio (we were in the Elk Rapids Studio) - a beautiful look at the lake each morning. The room is very clean, and we hardly heard any noise from the neighbors.

6) Walgreens across the street (if you need it.)

7) 10 minutes from the heart of Traverse City.

8) A nice little playground right next to the beach.

The only quibbles are it is difficult to navigate the parking lot at times and we also didn't get our room made up until after 3:00 each day - which led to a little juggling of schedules, but you can see how I'm stretching for issues. It's worth the extra money to stay here!

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the lake - the scenery is worth it!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Jpack, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Hello and happy September!

Thank you for your stay at our hotel, and I really appreciate your easy-to-follow review that you posted. That will certainly help out guests who are researching our hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed your time and we'll be happy to have you come visit again in the future. Have a wonderful start of fall.

Jonathan P.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,505)

Reviewed August 30, 2012

We stayed at the Cherry Tree Inn from August 19th to the 25th. We were only booked until the 24th but were having such a great time we asked to extended our stay. We had to pack up and move to a different room but it was well worth it. My children are teenagers and there was plenty to do in the area to keep the whole family entertained. Go to breakfast early! Thanks for a great vacation.

Room Tip: If you are booking be sure to book a room with a view of the bay. We loved the view from the 3rd fl...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Jpack, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2012

Hello!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at our hotel. I'm so happy that you enjoyed your time, although, I apologize that we weren't able to arrange for your to extend your stay in the same room. It can get tricky with our jigsaw of reservations, and we work hard to keep you in the same room even when you extend at the last moment, but sometimes we have to have room moves. Glad you still enjoyed everything and we'll be happy to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

My wife and I just got back from our wedding anniversary stay at the Cherry Tree Inn Suites. The location was nice and the hotel staff was friendly. I bought the romatic package which was very personalable. My wife loved the flowers, chocolate, and the local wine. It was nice that Cherry Tree has this option and types up your comments on a personal card. The warm cookies on the front desk were a nice touch and the fresh lemon water by the evaluator was nice. The outdoor pool was a new feature this summer and was really nice. The free breakfast was nice but the sausage could have been better. There wasn’t much taste to them. Overall, we were very happy with our stay and would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Jpack, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Hello!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your anniversary stay. I'm happy that you enjoyed your time in our hotel and you enjoyed many of our amenties, including our outdoor pool and hot tub. The pool is being kept open through the second week of October and the hote tub is being kept open all year!

I'm also happy that you enjoyed the romance features we offer to make your stay extra special. I hope you have a nice end of August and another good year to your marriage. Thank you so much.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed at the Cherry Tree Inn on August 21-24. We reserved the Leelanau Suite which has a wraparound porch that overlooks the bay. It was large, very well furnished and delightful. There were four other people in our group of friends so we were able to use the suite as a place to congregate and relax.
Everything about the stay was great. The staff were helpful and friendly. The breakfast was decent with waffles available along with cereal, fruit, yogurt, etc. Plus the coffee was quite good. There also was coffee available all day in the adjacent lounge area. The hotel is very comfortable, with seating areas that are clean and welcoming. We definitely will stay here on our next visit to Traverse City.

Room Tip: The Leelanau Suite was quite large and nice if you are visiting with friends. Ask for a room facing...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Jpack, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Hello!

Thank you for your kind review. I'm so happy that you had a great time and that you would come back. Glad you liked our locally roasted and freshly ground coffee, too (it's Leelanau Coffee Roasting Company coffee, and we've had great response from guests on it through the year). I hope you have a wonderful Labor Day Weekend and that you are able to get some time to come visit and goof off in T.C. again!

Reviewed August 23, 2012

We stayed at the Cherry Tree Inn and Suites on Saturday, August 18th for one night. Normally, they require a 2 night stay during peak times, but when I called in July to inquire, they had one room that had one night available, so we booked it! It happened to be the second floor handicapped accessible room, which I was not 100% certain would meet our expectations, but it turned out to be great. The Elk Rapids room overlooked Grand Traverse Bay with access to a nice patio. The room had lots of natural light and was more spacious than a typical 2 Queen hotel room - in my experience. It had a mini fridge and microwave as well as a seating area near the window. Cleanliness of the room also met our expectations. When my husband went down to the lobby to request a couple additional pillows, they were accommodating. Our favorite part about the handicapped accessible room we had was that it was adjacent to the 2nd floor lounge so we felt like we had extra space and enjoyed having a little family happy hour in that space. We all enjoyed the complimentary chocolate chip cookies in the afternoon and the board games in the lobby were another added special touch. The new outdoor pool and hot tub were nice and overlooked the bay. We also used the indoor pool and hot tub - small, but enjoyable. I am a big fan of hotels that have nice linens - the towels at the pool are some of the nicest/fluffiest I've encountered :) Breakfast was above average - we got there before the rush. All in all, a great stay at a reasonable price. We would stay here again!

1  Thank leaners2002
Jpack, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

Hello!

Thank you for your stay and taking the time to write a review. I'm glad that the Elk Rapids Studio - Handicap Accessible worked well for you and your family. All of our Elk Rapids Studios are the same size, but that one has a bit different bathroom setup for better accessibility. I'm glad you enjoyed our new pool and beach towels. We really like offering them.

Thank you again for your kind review and I wish you a nice end of summer. Come visit again.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

We had a great time at the Cherry Tree Inn in Traverse City. Our three children loved the pirate ship playground and the small beach right outside our door. I loved how shallow the water was in the bay-very safe for little ones. Also very warm, which is not usually the case for Lake Michigan! They also have an indoor and outdoor pool as well. The first night we got there we were exploring and in the breakfast room the floor was still pretty messy from breakfast which surprised me a little bit it seemed to not be a problem the rest of the time. The staff are very helpful and friendly, especially the manager! We stayed in one of the remodeled rooms and for the price I would definitely pick the remodeled rooms as the others are somewhat outdated. The price, however is right in line for what you would expect to pay for a hotel in its class at peak season, and they do have complimentary breakfast which you do not often find at nicer hotels, and is very helpful when traveling with children! Also little touches like the chocolate chip cookies at the front desk and citrus infused water in the lobby make it feel like they are going the extra mile for their guests. I would highly recommend this property for families or singles and I would also recommend The Grand Traverse Pie Company for the best cherry pie you will ever have!

• Stayed: July 2012
Jpack, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Hello!

Thank you for your stay and your kind review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. I apologize for our breakfast room presentation your fist night. I will certainly monitor that more closely to ensure we are maintaining our cleanliness at all times.

I'm glad you saw and appreciated our extra special touches we offer. Thank you again for your stay and I wish you have a wonderful end of the summer.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

We booked our stay at the Cherry Tree based on the great reviews on Trip Advisor. They were right! It turned out to be a great place for our family of 5 to spend three nights. We were not in an updated room, but it was still extremely clean and well kept. The view from the balcony of the water and beach was wonderful! Our kids spent a ton of time in the pool (which means we did, too!), so we were very happy that both the indoor and outdoor pools were kept very warm. My only complaint is that the morning we were set to checkout, the indoor pool was undergoing maintenance and was closed until noon. Our kids had their hearts set on swimming one last time before the 11 am checkout, but the outdoor pool didn't open until 10. The front desk staff allowed us to move our checkout to 11:30 so that we could fit in a quick swim, but the outdoor pool didn't actually open until about 10:15. This is very minor, but I would suggest that (if possible) the next time the indoor pool is undergoing maintenance that they open the outdoor pool earlier or at least right at 10...or perhaps even let us know it will be closed ahead of time so the kids don't get their hopes up for a morning swim! My only other suggestion is that they figure out a way to deal with the breakfast crowd as the breakfast area got extremely congested. Again, all of these things are very minor and I would not hesitate to return to the Cherry Tree and recommend it to others!

Room Tip: Definitely go with a bayview room - you won't be disappointed!
1  Thank khg516

Good evening!

Thank you for staying with us and your kind review. I do greatly apologize for the inconvenience we caused you with the closing of our pools. Our indoor pool was supposed to only be down for 3 hours, but the updated (we switched our filtration systems to help created an even cleaner pool and spa - very exciting for us pool geeks!) items took 5 hours instead. I wasn't pleased, and I apologize we weren't able to speed up this process. And to top it all off, we had a little hiccup with a power connection to our outdoor pool, which caused the 15 minute delay for that pool to open (we had been working on that for about an hour, and I'm sorry we weren't able to get it up faster). Please accept my apologies. Thank you for your stay and I'm glad you still would recommend us to others. Have a wonderful August.