“Honeymoon destination on a budget”

Grand Beach Resort Hotel
Ranked #12 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Reviewed October 10, 2009

Being a newlywed couple on a budget and looking for a good place to travel to for a small honeymoon, we found this a great place for the money. The location was convenient, nearby the downtown area as well as a short drive to numerous wineries, beaches, dunes, and even casinos. We greatly enjoyed the beach right out back, and from what we could tell, ours was one of the best along the bay--nice size, clean. Coming from the Chicagoland area where we have become used to non-smoking everything and everywhere, we did not realize that our room could be a smoking one. That would have to be the only drawback in our opinion because we do not smoke and don't care for the smell of it. However, with so much to do in the area we were hardly ever in the room so it did not bother us much. They do have non-smoking rooms as well. It was a very nice stay in an affordable location that books up quickly in the summer!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 20, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Beach for four nights recently. We were quite satisfied with our stay, especially since having received a last minute deal. I highly recommend this resort for families. The beach is beautiful, nice and shallow for the kids. The free breakfast was a definite plus. However, if you are looking for something more romantic, I recommend one of the bed and breakfasts in the area. The location and staff were lovely though, just be aware that this place has a lot of families visiting, especiallty on the weekends.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2009

We have stayed at Grand Beach numerous times. Usually it is great. This time was different. We stayed in two different rooms this time because of a change in our dates. Both rooms had fruit flies. The first room only had a couple which we ignored. The second room was terrible. When we told the staff, we were told "Everybody has them, its that time of year. The staff even said she had them at her home, it was normal. I informed her that I do not have fruit flies at my home, I didn't think it was normal." Also the DVD player in the first room wouldn't work and the staff didn't offer to remedy the situation. I will think twice about going to Grand Beach in the future, the staff did not seem to care.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 21, 2009

Stayed at the Grand Beach from Aug 9-15th, we used to stay here every year back in the 90s, But had switched to the Cherry Tree Inn....So we were very familar with the place as we are frequent Traverse City travelers, and decided to return.

After a 10 year absence, I find the hotel updated into the 2000s era, but overall mostly the same. Clean rooms, warm pool, decent game room, good continental breakfast, and friendly staff.

The rooom - We had room 102...Beach walkout, King Bed with a queen sofa sleeper. Room was clean. And niceley decorated in their "Island Retreat" Theme. No complaints at all, Comfortable and clean accomondations. All rooms come with a wetbar area with a microwave and fridge.

The pool - The pool was good size and warm. Pool area has a hot tub also. Again, no complaints.

Game Room - Game room is average for a hotel like this, nothing special, has alot of claw machines.

Exercise Room - Kinda odd, as this exercise room is still after all these years, accessed from the outside. However, nice equiped room. Has treadmill, bicycle, stepper, free weights, and a combined weight machine with several different exercises. Went in there twice, nicest exercise room i seen in a while at a hotel.

Breakfast - Free every morning 7-10:30. Has basic continental breakfast items, such as cereal, toast, bagels, muffins, also "homemade waffles" tht the staff makes for u. Also Juice and 24 hour coffee. Room is well laid out with many tables.

Beach - Simply, the BEST beach in all of Traverse City!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have walked the bay many times and stayed at several hotels in the area, and this one (and also it's sister hotel the Sugar Beach...are by far the nicest beaches. Can get crowded for a traverse city hotel, but they have many chairs, so u never have to worry. Also, two doors east at the Sugar Beach, they have rentals, like boats, and parasailing. Reasonably priced and alot of fun.

The Cons - Only 2 small problems with this fantastic hotel. One, the hotel is equipped with wireless (Wi-Fi) Internet. It was very weak and slow in my room (i was in the main building at the east end on the first floor, don't see why tht happened. Two, each balcony comes with a porch light, tht is controlled by the hotel, u have no individual switch in the room and the bugs are just horrible. (TIP - During the day, simply unscrew the lid by the big knob on top (no tools needed) and unscrew the lightbulb) Only like select rooms lights are actually on, the hotel won't even notice)

Overall - Wonderul hotel with great staff and since 1992, still one of the top choices in all of Traverse City.

Go with one of the best in town, The Grand and Sugar Beach Resort Hotels

Happy Traveling =)

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank MichiganTraveler52
Reviewed July 14, 2009

I was in town for a weekend University class and decided to upgrade to a nicer hptel. I was so pleased that I called my family to share such a wonderful experience. I got a room on the lowest floor, and while I was at class, the family walked right on the beach.

The room was nice, clean, and the lobby has those little "extras."

I would recommend this hotel. I have stayed at many beacuse of my summer class schedule. This was the best!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business
Reviewed July 14, 2009

All great stuff people said about the place is true: the amazing beach, nice food, clean rooms etc. Thank you owners! ;)

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Masha1977
Reviewed June 17, 2009

I had read the reviews on Trip Advisor before making reservations in Traverse City. The Grand Beach sounded like a great place to stay so based on that we booked a couple of days. The hotel is very nice, the rooms are spacious and I was very happy with how clean it was. I have a couple of things that really bothered me and I want to share them here.

First, we booked the room facing the beach. The view was great, the sunset the first night was magnificent. It was cool so we wanted to keep the door open so we could hear the water and feel the breeze, maybe sit out on the balcony with a drink. We couldn't do that because the balcony light was on and there was no way to turn it off. The bugs were horrible because they were attracted to the light. When we went to bed, it was like daytime in our room because of the light, so we shut the door, pulled the curtains and turned on the air. I would have unscrewed the bulb except the light fixture was screwed in.

Second, the beds were comfortable but the sheets were not made for the mattress. Every time I sat or laid on the bed, the sheets would pop off the corners and bunch in the middle, along with the felt mattress pad they had under the sheet. At one point in the middle of the night I practically had to remake the bed...nothing like a good nights rest on a little getaway.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple