“Just ok...some pluses some minuses”

Grand Beach Resort Hotel
Ranked #14 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Chicago, Illinois
“Just ok...some pluses some minuses”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Stayed here with three kids. Had good size room that faced the beach. The place is pretty dated, but I knew that from previous reviews. The service at the front desk is extremely limited. We had to go there each time we needed a beach towel (which would be every day). The breakfast was terrible. Crowded and just not good food. We went to downtown T.C. instead and were very glad we did. Beds were ok. Bathroom was dark and had a weird setup. Will definitely look elsewhere the next time we visit T.C.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank KidsAreATrip

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Sparta, Michigan, United States
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Our room was clean, we had a nice view, and the parking was a breeze. I was impressed most of all, though, by how the staff practically bend over backwards to help me with a computer situation. While on a business trip/family mini-vacation in Traverse, I had to print some invoices, etc., out on the hotel business center computer. The staff was quick in finishing-up on the phone with hotel business, offered to let me use THEIR copier, twice came to see how all was working with their printer, and apologized for what they called a slow connection. I was thrilled with how fast the internet connection was, and how efficiently the printer could be loadeded, then printed-out what I needed. No issues. No stress for me because it all worked like it should have. Had I not had the staff help, I'd have had to navigate through town and out to the mall to find a copy center. What a relief and huge timesaver. On top of that, my family was able to stay occupied in the pool and arcade while I was off doing business. That was a bonus! This is a place where service has been made a priority...a rare find at a reasonably-priced hotel.

Room Tip: Cover your heater with a towel on windy nights because there is a major draft that creates a howling...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We stay here every year during cherry festival. The rooms are beautiful and very clean. The staff was very friendly and accommodating! The location is great with it being right on the beach, close to downtown area, and surrounded by local restaurants! The breakfast was great as well, plenty of options for those who are traveling with a large family!

• Stayed July 2013
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I visited just after Labor Day and there was a chill in the air, but I still had to go on the beach and marvel at Lake Michigan. My room was clean and the whole place was great. When traveling, I don't stay in my room much, but having a nice, clean room to relax is a must! It was great to sit in the sun room overlooking the lake with warm coffee in hand. I didn't get a room with a view of the lake, but maybe next time!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Canton, Michigan
Reviewed October 16, 2013

First off folks, I must recommend you get a room with a water view! It is $10 or $20 more and I promise you it is completely worth every penny.

We stayed in October with a first floor room facing the Bay. It was a great weekend away! Upon arrival, the manager (his name has slipped my mind) greeted us outside and was super friendly. We arrived an hour before check-in and our room wasn't ready, so they took our phone number and called us when it was ready while we went out to eat.

When we got to our room we were so ecstatic! The king bed was glorious with numerous pillows and there was also a couch, three tables and a desk. There was even a kitchenette area with a sink, microwave and fridge. The bathroom was also very nice.

The view was the absolutely best part. There is a table and two chairs outside each room (on the balcony for floors 2 and 3) and also a picnic table. We were able to step out of our room onto the concrete slab with our tables and enjoy the beautiful weather. Within three steps, we were in the sand.

There are several beach chairs that are super comfy. They aren't just plastic chairs, they have a soft padding on them. It was amazing.

The free continental breakfast is delicious! They have waffle makers, cereal, pastries and really good juice and coffee.

So yes, I recommend staying here!

Room Tip: Water view, water view, water view!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Erica C
Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 6, 2013

This Hotel was a very good value for the price. It is has a good location and the rooms were spacious and very clean. the view of the lake was good. The breakfast room was inviting and had healthy food.

Room Tip: Stay on the second or third floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank wayne H
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed October 4, 2013

This was my first visit to TC. My family & I (1 another adult & 1 male teenager) spent 4 nights. It is a very family-oriented location. There were lots of families with smaller children. Many of those families seemed to be occupying the beach view rooms. My room faced the courtyard (parking lot) & was quiet. I didn't mind walking down to the beach. There was a booth set up to so guests could pay to use jet skis, the water trampoline and other water equipment

The room was decorated with a cottage/nautical theme. The bed/linen were fine (I have back problems). The fixtures and bathroom were newer & clean. The breakfast bar is very basic, more of a continental breakfast with two waffle makers, but satisfying. The lay out of the breakfast buffet area isn't the best, so there tends to be a line. During my stay, the staff didn't start removing the items @ the designated time, instead allowed the last guest to serve themselves.

Even with the "hidden resort fee", I thought not having to try and cross M-31 (from another hotel) with a (comfortable) beach chair and other items was worth it. The public access/parking area down the street was crowded & I think was metered parking and/or a fee. There were ample chairs and chaise lounge chairs outside of the hotel. I was able to take advantage of a travel special/coupon, so I found the cost of my stay to be reasonable.

I appreciate the convenience of a refrigerator & microwave. We were able to store left overs & keep beverages cool. Many of the staff members were very friendly. There were chain and local restaurants in the area as well as fast food choices.

We also drove to the Dunes during our stay...well worth the trip!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family