“Visit to TC” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Detroit, Michigan
“Visit to TC”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

This was my first visit to TC. My family & I (1 another adult & 1 male teenager) spent 4 nights. It is a very family-oriented location. There were lots of families with smaller children. Many of those families seemed to be occupying the beach view rooms. My room faced the courtyard (parking lot) & was quiet. I didn't mind walking down to the beach. There was a booth set up to so guests could pay to use jet skis, the water trampoline and other water equipment

The room was decorated with a cottage/nautical theme. The bed/linen were fine (I have back problems). The fixtures and bathroom were newer & clean. The breakfast bar is very basic, more of a continental breakfast with two waffle makers, but satisfying. The lay out of the breakfast buffet area isn't the best, so there tends to be a line. During my stay, the staff didn't start removing the items @ the designated time, instead allowed the last guest to serve themselves.

Even with the "hidden resort fee", I thought not having to try and cross M-31 (from another hotel) with a (comfortable) beach chair and other items was worth it. The public access/parking area down the street was crowded & I think was metered parking and/or a fee. There were ample chairs and chaise lounge chairs outside of the hotel. I was able to take advantage of a travel special/coupon, so I found the cost of my stay to be reasonable.

I appreciate the convenience of a refrigerator & microwave. We were able to store left overs & keep beverages cool. Many of the staff members were very friendly. There were chain and local restaurants in the area as well as fast food choices.

We also drove to the Dunes during our stay...well worth the trip!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Loveland, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

I have stayed at at a half dozen hotels in Traverse City and, believe me, despite what the people at the Grand Beach will tell you, none of them charge a hidden resort fee. This 4% fee is added to the price quoted for your room and is nonnegotiable. It covers breakfast and internet; in other words, it covers things that are included in the price at other hotels and added without your knowledge or consent. The desk clerk says it is "just the same as a tax." Ha! Taxes are levied by the government. This fee is added at the discretion of the management, not required by law.

I have never paid such a fee in travels to four countries and all fifty states. I'd actually be ashamed of myself if I was hoodwinked by such a scheme.

Also had difficulty canceling a reservation, though I was clearly well ahead of the cancellation deadline.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Ohio, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

Clean room with comfortable beds, bathroom updated and very clean, microwave and refridgerator, wonderful lakeview , great sauna and pool area, nice light breakfast, and very helpful , friendly and welcoming front desk employees is what we experienced at our stay at the Grand Beach Resort Hotel in September. Restaurants and shopping very close to the hotel with a added bonus of a airport very close that we flew into. Unfortunately the weather was cool that week and we didn't get to enjoy the beach, but it was sunny ...perfect for hiking and visiting Sleeping Bear Dunes and surrounding sites. We had a wonderful stay and would like to visit again ......in warmer weather !

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

We spent two nights at the Grand Beach Hotel, leaving the Hampton down the street for what we thought would be "greener pastures." We were drawn to the possiblility of staying at a nice place on the beach, but choosing the Grand Beach Hotel was a big mistake! While this property does have a lovely beach area and a nice view of Lake Michigan, the inside of this hotel is ghastly. The carpeting in the halls and rooms is dirty and old, and our room, on a non-smoking floor, had a stale cigarette odor. The beds could not compare to the Hampton Inn. They were lumpy and uncomfortable. All the furnishings have seen better days. As for the free breakfast, what a joke! There was a pittance of food, which included cereal, bread for toast, juice and coffee. There was no fruit, bagels, or sweet rolls. Upon checking in, the clerk had informed us that the $7.50 resort fee was to cover breakfast, and other resort conveniences. Not sure what those conveniences might be. However, if you need a room in Traverse City, stay at the Hampton Inn, and walk across the street to enjoy your lake activities. Don't bother with this place!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Tiffin Oh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

We took and mini vacation to Traverse City and stayed at the Grand Beach Resort hotel. It was a wonderful place to stay. We had the lake front view and it was breath taking. Lots ot actives close to the hotel to. Rooms are very clean and big. Free breakfast in the lobby and a game room for kids and indoor pool for the whole family. Mid- September prices are great to.

Room Tip: Tip is good clean place to stay..
Northville, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

We had trouble finding a hotel for ONE night in Traverse City in mid-September. Most required a two night stay. Disappointed in the invoice. They charged a RESORT FEE which I have never heard of. Breakfast was adequate. Room was adequate. For what we paid, I expected more.

Rooms were clean, but slow draining sink and tub. Liked the microwave and small frig in room. Great beach, unfortunately too cool to enjoy. May or may not come back. Make early reservations if staying in peak summer months.

Room Tip: You will pay more for a room looking over Bay.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Huntington, Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

The hotel was very nice. Great location on beach. The beach was excellent. The hotel room was clean and very nice. The breakfast bar was not laid out to accommodate the amount of guests they had. The price was a little high for the room but with all the amenities I thought it was OK. But when I received my billing statement I was charged a Resort fee! When I asked about it the manager stated it was for the internet, beach chairs, breakfast , etc they had to pay for. I did not argue with him. I just will not stay hear again. Scam me once shame on you. Won't happen again!!

1 Thank biplane2