“Grand Beach Hotel - A great place to stay”

Grand Beach Resort Hotel
Ranked #12 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Reviewed June 11, 2008

My wife and I recently stayed 2 nights at the Grand Beach Hotel in Traverse City, Michigan. We had heard great things about the hotel and hoped they were true. The staff at the hotel were very friendly and young lady who checked us in was very nice. She even suggested a restaurant, the Red Mesa Grill, for us to try that she said she went to quite often. It turned out to be a wonderful choice and within a short walking distance. The hotel was clean, other than the standard scuffed hallway walls, and the room were very nice. We had a deck with a view of the beach, which was great. Overall, a very nice hotel. If we make our way to Traverse City again, we will definitely stay at the Grand Beach Hotel.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 10, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Grand Beach on June 4, 2008 for two nights. It was a very enjoyable stay. The room was new and very clean. The staff was very friendly. The stay was so nice that we may return before the end of this summer.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 11, 2008

I stayed a weekend in the hotel with my daughter, arriving during a late season snowfall.

The room was great. It had plenty of space, was clean, and was right on the beach as promised. There were a couple of chairs on a small private deck that lead right out to the beach on Traverse Bay through a sliding door. It would have been really great to be able to enjoy it (next weekend was 70 degrees, so you can get lucky in April).

There is a large shower - no bath, but it was obvious the shower was built for people coming in from the sand. The refrigerator and microwave were actually of a usable size.

The indoor pool area was a good size and was very popular with families. We didn't get a chance to use the pool, so can't comment on the water.

The included continental breakfast was OK, but not great. There is an employee manning the waffle station, and you had to put your name on a list during a crowded Sunday morning. This actually worked out better and faster than trying to take turns with so many people. The breakfast room filled up fast and it was hard to get a seat, even in the off season. There were some overflow seats outside the pool area in the halls.

The location is great for the beach, but expect to need a car to get anywhere else in the area, such as the downtown area of Traverse City itself.

Staff was fine - no problems and always willing to help.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed May 9, 2008

I came here in the off season to visit a relative at the Munson Medical Center, which, by the way, is modern and fabulous, for a hospital. With my European eyes on Google maps, I fancied that I could walk from the hotel! I had forgotten about American distances -- you cannot walk anywhere and must rent a car.

The hotel's chief feature is the beautiful shallow bay, with its white sand and sombre twinkling water crossed by birds. At this time of year it was painfully cold to wade in, even after a nice log jog along the shore. My room (132) had a direct view on the beach.

The room was fine. Perhaps the bed was a bit lumpy. There was a fridge. There was free wireless access. There is a pool but I did not use it. There is no bar or restaurant. The breakfast is mostly carbohydrates of some form or another, and fruit.

The staff was helpful, and had no problem with me cutting short my stay when my relative was discharged.

Traverse City as a whole seemed very pleasant, in the early spring with the trees budding and blossoming.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed February 18, 2008

My family recently experienced the untimely death of my brother. Family from all over came to the Traverse City area for the funeral. We booked six rooms at the Grand Beach Resort for a one night stay between the viewing and the funeral Ceremony.

My family could not have been happier with the hotel; my mother was especially pleased, and is the reason I write this review. She is NEVER happy with a hotel stay, and must normally see several rooms before finally settling on one (that she never ends up being happy with). From arrival to departure, she was tickled with the GB. She exclaimed over the cleanliness, the view, the amenities, and the staff...being especially pleased with "Ken", who was so helpful and friendly at checkin. Kudos to the Grand Beach for making Mom happy during such an unhappy time....I think that's a first. But, having some personal experience with both the Grand Beach and Sugar Beach, I knew there was no place else for my family to be.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed January 12, 2008

My wife and I stayed at this hotel over the New Year holiday. Everything about this hotel was excellent. Our room was nice and spacious, with a balcony, refrigerator, microwave, and 2 queen size beds (even though we only used one). The entire resort was very clean. The lobby is a nice place to relax, with comfortable furniture and a fireplace. There is also a pool (which we didn't use) and a game room with several arcade games. The location is great too. It is right on the East Bay with a great view of the water and only a 5-10 minute to downtown. Best of all, you can get great rates in the winter. We only $79 per night! Overall, I would definitely stay at this resort again and I would recommend it to anyone staying in Traverse City.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 10, 2008

We stayed at Grand Beach for a week in August and we had an incredible experience. The room was spacious and tastefully decorated. The staff was extremely helpful and very friendly.

We really enjoyed the wonderful beach at the hotel. You can go pretty far out before it drops off and the waves were great.

Also a highlight was the breakfast offered free in the morning. Having waffles cooked for us every day was a nice treat!

One tip- if you're looking for a great price, try contacting the hotel directly. We had tried to get a good rate through various sites, but got the best one from the hotel. I sent an email saying when we were coming and where we were coming from and they replied back right away with a very fair quote.

Would definitely stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family