“Nice menu, great staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Filling Station

The Filling Station
Ranked #3 of 295 Restaurants in Traverse City
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pizza, Pub
Good for: Kids, Large groups, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Effingham, IL
“Nice menu, great staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

I read some of the reviews of The Filling Station and we decided to give it a try. The Stoker flatbread pizza was very flavorful...a tad bit spicier than I usually like my pizza, but still great. They have a nice selection of microbrews which my husband enjoyed. Be prepared...if you want to start a tab, they will hold your credit card until you leave...which might freak some folks out. You have to go to the front counter to place your initial food and drink order and then again each time you need another brew...a little different but it's not a large place. The staff is a young bunch, very enthusiastic and friendly. This is an old railroad depot, so outdoor seating is available alongside the tracks. It was a chilly evening, so we ate inside. They've only been around for 19 months, but I hope they stay around for a long time...nice atmosphere.

Coto de Caza, CA
“Best darn pizzas, ever!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

We were introduced to the Filling Station the summer of 2012 and I think we ate there at least once a week for the whole summer! Their flat bread pizzas are absolutely the best I've ever had. The people who work here are always smiling and genuinely nice. The ambiance is wonderful especially on. A warm summer night sitting outside with a peek of Boardman River.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Best pizza we have had in a long time, cool setting and creamy stout!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

We got the pepperoni and mushroom pizza which was excellent! They use fresh 'shrooms, the sauce had a good kick, and the crust was perfect (thin and crispy). The oatmeal stout was smooth and creamy.

The Caesar salad wasn't too flavorful, and wasn't a fan of the toasted chips as croutons, but that was just my taste and doesn't lower their rating! The lettuce was very crisp and fresh.

Service is quick and friendly. You can watch the "pizza guy" making your pizza in their wood fired oven. They have outdoor seating with a view of the park and lake, but we sat inside because it was a neat atmosphere (still had the view too).

Suggestion: perhaps add the IBUs to the beer list?

Des Moines, Iowa
“Loved it all--craft beer, wood fired pizza, salad & a historic depot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

Great place all around! (Really wish we lived in the area.) After an evening of fine dining and wine we were looking for a casual craft beer type lunch spot. A quick search came up with some local options but this place stood out (and we hadn't been to it) due to the diversity in brews, wood-fired pizza, and the bonus...it's in an old train depot (yes, I'm a rail fan)!!! We were fortunate to have a beautiful sunny, not too hot Sunday for this adventure and there were track side picnic tables on the train platform (it would have only been better had an actual train gone by). Cute place, you order inside at the counter and a server delivers the food to you at your table (inside or out). There were lots of interesting and good beers on tap at this microbrewery! My spouse and I have different style preferences and we were both VERY happy! Love the metal train engine sampler trays that hold six tasting glasses...I almost asked it I could buy a couple! We split a salad with was nicely done. The pizza was outstanding when it arrived, even better than I'd imagined! It was difficult to decide between all the really unique specialty pizzas plus built your own. We chose the "Burlington Northern" partly due to the ingredients and partly because it's one of my favorite railroads. Truly an artisan pizza with a great thin, crispy crust topped with garlic oil, roasted garlic, red onions, fresh pear, prosciutto, brie, parmesan, and drizzled with a balsamic reduction. (There were plenty of more traditional options too.) Partway through our meal, live music started on the patio area, which was nice, but a little too loud for easy conversation. I would give them 4 3/4 if I could because of that, but everything else was outstanding, and the music was good. We had a good visit with the pizza baker on the way out as we had to walk right past the oven to leave and pick out our souvenir pints. An extra bonus had we been locals was the proximity to a bike trail. (Can you say really happy place!)

• Visited August 2013
Nashville
“Unique offerings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

While visiting our son in Traverse City, we decided to eat here based on his recommendation. Located in an old train depot, this is a family run business with a microbrewery. The service was excellent and the beers were 'fun' and a little different. They are 'famous' for their flatbreads (very thin crust pizza) with some unique combinations. The salad was also outstanding with very fresh ingredients. I would give this a 4.5 if possible since all of the food and service was so good. However, the place was a bit crowded (had a happy hour party going on) and the room is very 'hot' with noise which made conversation difficult. Fortunately, the happy hour crowd began leaving which reduced the noise level considerably.

• 3 of 5 bubbles