“Once was enough”

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #7 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Milford, Michigan
Reviewed August 24, 2005

My husband and I and our 2 daughters stayed here for 2 nights. We found that the waterpark was not to clean, had greenish-brown water. Towels in the waterpark were never available when you needed one. Room not ready when told it would be. There were so many visitors here that were very rude and inconsiderate of others.
There was continuous noise in the hallways and rooms above us that we didn't get much sleep, called front desk about noise, said they would send security, but noise continued.
The second night of our stay, the fire alarm sounded at 2:45 am, we all had to leave the hotel, with no staff to be found to guide guests or give directions on what was going on. We stood in the parking lot for at least one hour. We didn't know what happened until the next morning, a couple of the employees said that a couple of teenagers decided to pull the fire alarm. To bad these smart... kids weren't caught. The staff said that this happens quite often, in fact 7 times in 2 weeks.
All I can say is if you want to swim in unclean water, stay awake most of your stay with constant noise (running, jumping, slamming of doors) and deal with rude visitors, this is the place for you! We will not go back! We stayed on Mackinac Island overlooking the harbor for cheaper than staying here and actually got sleep, fun and friendly people to be around.

56  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (2,334)

Flint, Michigan
Reviewed August 20, 2005

We were sorely disappointed with our first experience at the Great Wolf Lodge. We definitely did not get our money's worth. Our room was not ready when promised so they sent us to the waterpark. No clean towels were available for the 6 hours we were in the waterpark, the restrooms and changing areas were small and crowded. The lockers were too small to hold a backpack or duffle bag. Our supposed "queen size" beds were unusally small. Kids were running up and down the hallways and doors were slamming between 1 and 3 am. When we went to checkout, there were no luggage racks available. Overall, this hotel was a huge disappointment. We won't be going back. The restaurants are overpriced - definitely not family friendly.

37  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Kalamazoo, MI
Reviewed August 17, 2005

When we went to Great wolf lodge in Traverse City, MI, everbody loved it! (8 other girls and 4 parents with my girl scout troop, ages 12-13!) It was awesome. The waterpark was great, the service was great, and I even met a lifeguard named Nick. Even the lifeguards are very friendly, and funny! Anybody who goes, should enjoy it. They also have an arcade, and great rooms! Thanks for reading!!!!

• Stayed: August 2002
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Farmington Hills, MI
Reviewed August 14, 2005

Pros = The indoor waterpark makes your family vacation "weather proof." The park is well laid out and creatively designed. The rooms are big and nicely laid out. Most, if not all, have balconies. At night, these balconies are nice place to hang out, read, drink and have a cigar. The breakfast buffet was decent (not outstanding). The staff was very friendly and solicitous.

Cons - No internet access in the entire hotel. This blows me away since this is now an industry standard. No room safes in the hotel. The mens ' locker room was a pit. Poorly designed. There is a single bench in there and it smelled like a horse stall. I was pretty disappointed as this is not a cheap hotel and I expected something better.

Some jokester pulled the fire alarm on Saturday morning at 7:30 and again in the evening time. I would have thought that the hotel would have had a bit more in the way of security cameras to identify the punk who disturbed everyone.

My kid had fun and to me, that is the bottom line. If you have kids, they will have a blast here. Just lower your expectations a bit, and you will not be disappointed.

31  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Mesick, Michigan
Reviewed July 20, 2005

I have 7 grand children and I live 40 miles from the lodge. My g-kids want their vacations with grandma and grandpa only there. They also live 40 miles away. I offer them to go anywhere in the U.S., Their request is always the same WOLF LODGE. I have been theree 5 times with g-kids and we all love it.
There is just no where to get good service , good food, and not have to leave there. JUST GREAT.

• Stayed: March 2005
23  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ilwaco, Washington
Reviewed July 16, 2005

My sister and I stayed at Great Wolf for 3 days to attend a family funeral. While I realize this resort is geared to young children, a lack of local accomodations forced us to stay there. A handicapped access room was provided as requested. For $250.00/night we had one queen bed and one sofa sleeper. It is very difficult for a handicapped person with back problems to sleep over the bar of a sofa sleeper. The room was dark and gloomy. Even with all the lights turned on it was especially difficult to see clearly with low vision.
On the second day, when our room was not serviced, I asked the housekeeper assigned to do so. He replied. "I don't do rooms when you stay over." Fortunately a different housekeeper overheard and provided this service despite it not being assigned to her.
The sofa sleeper was so heavy that maintainance had to be called to open it. The TV remote control was broken, as was the clock radio. Maintainance and housekeeping got into an argument over who would set the replacement clock. Both refused. The various cafes offered almost exclusively kid food. There was absolutely nothing for adults as entertainment. Even the adult only hot tub was set amidst the water park and closed at the same time. Who can relax while children are playing and screaming, as children will, around you. Candy and pastry were displayed everywhere. I pity the poor parents whose children are overdosed on sugar and behave wildly.
Despite being a handicapped room, there wasn't a single mirror close enough to apply make-up. The crowning glory was that my funeral blouse and my heirloom ring disappeared.
At $250.00 a night my sister and I felt victimized. I have had better accomodations at a Motel Six.

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled on business
44  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 14, 2005

Due to a death in the family, we were forced to find last minute accomodations in TC during the Cherry Festival. Well, all rooms were booked in the area with the exception of the overpriced Great Wolf Lodge. For $209 dollars per night, I expect a room with a closet, a bathroom containing a sink, not one that barely has room for just the tub and toilet and central airconditioning, not a unit that runs so loudly you can not sleep with it on. The bathtowels were small and worn and did not smell very clean. Our room was never made up before 4:00pm.

Both our children became sick after having a great time at their water park, which was closed twice during our stay to clean up some human waste that was found floating in the slide area.

The matresses were too soft and I woke up with a stiff lower back every morning.

The best thing about our stay was checking out, after correcting the $80 overcharge they had added to my bill.

• Stayed: July 2004