“Fun for all!”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #7 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Reviewed February 23, 2014

This was our second stay with grandparents and we all enjoyed it. The water park was clean, the room was spacious, the dinning cafe was delicious and we enjoyed the interactive bedtime story on the first floor. Also, my daughter enjoyed the wizarding game and the spa. My sons loved the arcade. This isn't an inexpensive place so planning is crucial but well worth it.

Room Tip: I'd wait until they run specials or check Groupon. This is very costly but if you monitor, they...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Great Wolf Lodge

Reviewed February 21, 2014

We took our 13 year old with a few of her friends for her 13th Birthday Stay over.
We have been here many time and the kids really injoy it as we do to. The water is a;lway clean and the staff are very friendly and helpfull. Safty is there number one concern while at the water park the staff is alway doing there job watching for any situation if they come up. The food is very good some of it can be a little pricie so you can take some of your ouw to help with that cost.
One of the kids left a light on in the care so when we went to leave the car battrie was dead. I had cables and one of the staff gave me a jump.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank bmw3392
Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

Rooms - The rooms are very well maintained. Each room has a mini fridge, microwave, and a living room area to sit and watch TV.

Food - The food at the restaurant downstairs is fantastic. Pizza is great.

Water park - The water park is awesome. Great for all ages. Splash park for the little kids. Bigger slides for bigger kids. Only problem with the kiddy slides is that no one monitors who's turn it is. Its a free for all and some kids cut. Would like to see that improve but still fun. I would also highly recommend getting a cabana for the day. Comes with a fridge full of drinks and food delivered to your cabana.

Other fun - The hotel also has a mini bowling alley, a magic quest game, an arcade. Lots of fun.

Kids Passes - The kids paw passes and pup passes initially sound like a lot of money but you get a lot for your money. Magic quest wands, bowling, ice cream, arcade tokens, and much more.

The only negative is the price but it is completely worth it. It is so much fun for the whole family. I definitely recommend this as a family vacation.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
8  Thank souper71
Reviewed January 28, 2014

GWL is a great escape in the winter with it's indoor waterpark. It also has an outdoor pool and an outdoor waterpark extension, so it's a good deal in the summer as well. It has lots of activities for the kids, like MagiQuest and story times. I'd say it's ideal for people with kids up to about 11, but because of the pool, even older kids have a good time. Some of the rooms have themes for the kids' sleeping areas, like the Wolf Den or the Kid Kamp, and the kids really enjoy that.

On site, it has a restaurant, Dunkin Donuts, gift shop, gym, adult spa, kids spa, arcade, and ice cream shop. I really like that none of the food providers have outrageous prices just because they are on site. It's also near a McDonalds, a Meijer, and a number of other eating places. You can even bring some of your meals because all rooms have a mini-kitchen with a fridge, microwave, and its own sink.

The service is excellent. All of the staff is friendly, from the front desk to the lifeguards.

Also, Traverse City is beautiful in the summer, so there are things to do outside of the hotel as well.

Room Tip: Rooms on the bottom floor have a patio. All others have balconies. The lowest floor has access to...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank yadagoy
Reviewed January 24, 2014

We went to Great Wolf for the first time over MLK weekend and had a fantastic time with our extended family.

Rooms:
As a group we had 2 Kid's Cabins and a Majestic Bear Suite. We were all very impressed with the rooms. They were very spacious and clean. The kids loved having their own space and bunk beds in the cabin. The bear suite was a perfect place to gather as it had a large island table that worked well for meals and playing games. The beds were surprisingly comfortable (though I hear the pull-outs were expectedly uncomfortable). The volume wasn't really an issue. We could hear people walking above us and in the hallway but voices didn't seem to travel much. Even when our group was being loud, I couldn't hear them when I was coming down the hall. I only had two minor complaints about the rooms. First, the kids sheets were worn and were constantly sliding off the beds. Secondly, the TV in the kids cabin was outdated and only had a VCR. This wasn't really a big deal since they didn't spend much time watching TV anyway. So as I said, minor complaints.

Activities:
We had kids age 1-14 in our group and there were plenty of activities to keep them all entertained throughout the weekend.
The waterpark was excellent. The lifeguards were very attentive and obviously well trained. There were many different activities, pools, and waterslides for all ages. I was actually surprised by the speed of the bigger tube slides. Two of the tube slides journey outside the walls which means they are dark at night, which the kids thought was cool.
MagiQuest was great. At first I scoffed at the price (around $15 for the wand plus $15 for the game). However it provided hours of entertainment and turned out to be worth the price. It's basically like a scavenger hunt of sorts using a digital wand waved at objects throughout the hotel. There are 9 different quests and 3 adventures to complete. The 9 quests kept us busy through the weekend so we never got to the adventures. We also got a lot of exercise running up and down the stairs completing the quests!
The hotel also has an arcade, miniature bowling alley, and a kids spa (which seemed way overpriced so we didn't do anything there).
Each night there is a storytime in front of the clock in the lobby. The younger kids loved putting on their pajamas and participating in storytime (including getting to meet a character). On Saturday night this was followed by a dance party with a DJ- great fun! I think they also had character greetings and activities in the lobby in the morning but we never went to those.
My biggest complaint about the whole weekend was that nothing opened until 9 or 10 am (depending on the day). My kids get up super early and so it was difficult to keep them entertained (especially since the other adults and older kids in our party sleep in). For a place so focused on kids you would think they would have some activities open early.

Food:
We mostly brought in our own food but we did eat at the restaurant one night. The food was ok- nothing special. I would say it was a bit overpriced for the quality. The decor of the restaurant was neat though (makes you feel like you're camping in the woods). If you have a MagiQuest wand, take it with you in the restaurant- there are a few things that will react to it. The ice cream/sweets shop was yummy! There is also a Dunkin Donuts in the lobby open all day.

I tend to get a little overwhelmed by crowded, noisy places so I had mentally prepared myself for chaos. However, despite all the people, it never felt super crowded or overly loud. Even in the waterpark most of the noise came from the water and equipment, not from loud, excited kids.

I really have to compliment the staff. Everyone was very friendly and courteous. Even just walking down the halls, housekeeping and other staff would say a friendly hello or would stop to help you figure out a MagiQuest clue...even if they looked busy with their work.

Overall we had a fantastic weekend and it was a great little mid-winter escape!

Room Tip: Top floor may help you avoid the overhead noise of people moving if you are worried about noise leve...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank tinkerbell621
Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

Water park, bowling and other kids activities don't open until 10AM! Seriously quiet times ends at 7am do clearly Great Wolf Lodge understands kids are up early. Why did the water park move opening back an hour to 10am. For over 6years we have come several times a year and the water park has opened at 9am. Luckily we didn't have to check out to 12pm but are not sure we will be back simply because there's nothing for kids to do until 10am.

There's no longer Starbucks coffee in Bear Paws for mornings. Instead Dunkin Donuts is on main floor - it was the worst cup of coffee. While doing Junior Lifeguard other parents were also disappointed with the quality of Dunkin Donuts coffee AND donuts.

Stayed: January 2014
6  Thank tipofthemit
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Thank you for your continued loyalty to Great Wolf Lodge - Traverse City! We do appreciate your feedback and concerns about the operating hours of various amenities. I will share this so that it can reviewed internally to see what we can do to improve before your next trip.

Our partnership with Dunkin' Donuts is a relatively new one. We are always looking for ways that we can move forward and enhance the guest experience.

We hope to see your family again soon!

Jason
Great Wolf Guest Relations

Reviewed January 9, 2014

Came to Traverse City, MI for a wedding and ended up staying at GWL. My kids had a great time at the water park and loved the bunk beds in our suite. The life guards were very attentive to the water which made me feel safe with little ones and the rides were fun for the kids of all ages. The restaurant was pretty reasonable to eat at and was cool inside. Would stay there again and try other GWL resorts with my kids.

Room Tip: Getting a suite with kids was worth the extra money,
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family