“Great mini vacation”

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #7 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
“Great mini vacation”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Took the 4 kids here this summer, with a big age range we added on the Paw Passes and a Pup Pass for the 3year old. Staff was very nice, our room was not ready when we arrived early but they called me as soon as we could get in. We had booked the Majestic Bear Suite, and really enjoyed having space. As someone said it is smaller but great for a shorter vacation.

Room Tip: Majestic Bear is nice and spacious, but on a previous stay the kids loved the kid cabin.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed September 3, 2013

GWL is a great short stay for my family. My elementary school aged son and his friend were able to entertain themselves for hours with the MagiQuest wands and adventures. The wands and the games aren't inexpensive, but considering that this allows the kids to rome about the common areas, read, be active and engaged for hours is worth every cent. The truth is that while a few details changed, you're going to be looking at the same few water slides every single day every single time you visit. I really appreciated the alternative of the MaqiQuest adventures when the kids had had enough of the waterpark for the day.

GWL restaurant food is pricey and low quality. This was our third trip and we didn't bother eating in any of the restaurants. We stopped at the local grocery store, when we got to town, for milk and breakfast cereal, microwave popcorn, fruit and drinks. We hit the town for lunch and dinner as needed.

This year, GWL - Traverse City added a Dunkin Donuts in the area off the main lobby. That was awesome! Good coffee. Laughably inept wait staff. You need to see it for yourself to fully understand how pouring a cup of coffee into a styrofoam container is turned into the most demanding job on earth.

GWL Staff, in general, is helpful and responsive. The facility was clean and in good shape.

The kids had a blast and I was able to relax. Good job, Great Wolf Lodge.

Room Tip: Um, this place is for kids....so, not the place for you if you want QUIET. That said, quiet hours a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
ferndale, mi
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Had a great stay at Great Wolf with our 1-1/2 and 5 year old. They certainly get you for a lot of extras that the kids just have to have, and it's not cheap staying there over the weekend in the Summer, but it was all well worth it. I was surprised at how good all of the food was - including the pizza. We hit it up after a few days of camping about 1/2 hour away, so it was a welcome retreat. We stayed two nights, and could have easily done three. Most likely will do the same thing next year. We had a small issue that ended up being nothing, but when bringing to the attention of the manager, we were immediately upgraded to a loft suite. It definitely earned them another visit from us next year. If you have kids under 15, I definitely recommend. If not, it may not be for you.

Room Tip: Top floor always helps in family resorts as there are a lot of little feet running around and jumpin...
Panama City, Florida
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We have been to multiple other GWLs and indoor water parks and enjoyed our stay here. This GWL is on the smaller side with only 3 "big rides" but they do have a small outside pool too. I think this location is best for kids 10 and under. The staff was always nice and helpful. Great option for bad/cooler weather or just when you need a day off the beach and out of the sun in the summer.

2 Thank Rather_Nomadic
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed August 20, 2013

My family had never stayed at an indoor waterpark/hotel before so we didn't really know what to expect. Great Wolf Lodge impressed me. Everyone from the front desk people to the cleaning staff and lifeguards were friendly and helpful. (At one point, my 5yo ran into the hallway from our room, unaccompanied, and the cleaning lady stopped him until his grandfather caught up.) We stayed in the Loft Fireplace room with our family of 7 and there was plenty of room. The sleeper sofa was even comfortable. My one complaint about the room was that the loft bedroom did not get the benefits of the a/c and the ceiling fan's speed couldn't be adjusted.
The waterpark itself was very fun. Everything looked clean and the floors were surprisingly not slippery. The lifeguards were numerous and they were VIGILANT. Their eyes were constantly scanning the water and they did not chit chat while on duty. My 7yo and 5yo and so much fun and my parents (in their 50s) did too. My 2yo was not tall enough to do a whole lot, but she liked the mini slides and lazy river. There's an outdoor pool that is worth checking out if you need a little sun.
I did online check-in the morning of our stay. We arrived at 2pm, two hours before check-in time and our room was already ready. GWL says that you can get into the waterpark as early as 1pm of the day you check in so the access is definitely generous. I paid $35 for a late check-out at 2pm and was glad I did so. The kids played for another 3 hours on the second day, then we ate and packed up. The late time was enough not to rush. You can also swim until 9pm of the day you check out, which we didn't, but I like that you're not being pushed out the door.
We didn't do MagiQuest (although my 7yo was interested), the Spa or the Cub Club. Storytime at 8pm is fun for little kids at least once.

Room Tip: The 4th floor is quiet and mostly removed from MagiQuest players.
1 Thank nancyeden
Tracy, CA
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We stayed in one of the Wolf Den rooms and my kids loved the bunk beds, and the semi-private "room" they had. It was such a luxury because they could go to bed and our lights weren't bugging them.
We spent the entire next day on the waterslides. My kids couldn't get enough. My husband and I enjoyed going on the larger slides with them for a few hours. Then we let them play on the structure for a few hours while we sat in the cafe area. We were able to chill out, have a beer, play card games, while the kids went up and down the slides. Such a great idea!
We also ate dinner and breakfast at the restaurant. They were very good with our gluten free daddy, as well as our kosher grandparents. The food was well prepare, the drinks were mixed properly, and everything tasted great. We can't wait to return!

1 Thank msjj30
Huntington Woods, Michigan, United States
Reviewed August 16, 2013

One of my children has a life threatening food allergy (all forms of dairy) and besides Disney, we have never found a place who caters to kids like my son. We could not have been more pleased with the attention the chef (Greg) or his assistants (Rick and Thom) in preparing my son's food. Each and every meal we received an allergy book (ingredients in all their food items), the wait staff would be advised and Greg, Rick or Thom would come to the table to talk with my son about what he would like to eat. If he wanted something not on the menu, they would make what ever he wanted. In the kitchen they have a separate area to prepare and cook, plus separate pans and utensils, for people with food allergies. After serving my son his food, they would always come back out to see how he was doing and if he liked the food. We felt very comfortable, which never happens since we are unable to eat out with him since there have been mistakes made in the past at other places.
Besides the great detail to our food and my son's safety, we found the place very clean, the room was great (we had a kids cabin) and the water park a ton of fun. The magic quest game was a great addition to the water fun! We are already planning a trip back.

Room Tip: the kids cabin was a hit. There are a set of bunk beds and a single bed inside a small "log ca...
3 Thank Michele P