“Children's paradise” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Tracy, CA
“Children's paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

We stayed in one of the Wolf Den rooms and my kids loved the bunk beds, and the semi-private "room" they had. It was such a luxury because they could go to bed and our lights weren't bugging them.
We spent the entire next day on the waterslides. My kids couldn't get enough. My husband and I enjoyed going on the larger slides with them for a few hours. Then we let them play on the structure for a few hours while we sat in the cafe area. We were able to chill out, have a beer, play card games, while the kids went up and down the slides. Such a great idea!
We also ate dinner and breakfast at the restaurant. They were very good with our gluten free daddy, as well as our kosher grandparents. The food was well prepare, the drinks were mixed properly, and everything tasted great. We can't wait to return!

1 Thank msjj30

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Huntington Woods, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

One of my children has a life threatening food allergy (all forms of dairy) and besides Disney, we have never found a place who caters to kids like my son. We could not have been more pleased with the attention the chef (Greg) or his assistants (Rick and Thom) in preparing my son's food. Each and every meal we received an allergy book (ingredients in all their food items), the wait staff would be advised and Greg, Rick or Thom would come to the table to talk with my son about what he would like to eat. If he wanted something not on the menu, they would make what ever he wanted. In the kitchen they have a separate area to prepare and cook, plus separate pans and utensils, for people with food allergies. After serving my son his food, they would always come back out to see how he was doing and if he liked the food. We felt very comfortable, which never happens since we are unable to eat out with him since there have been mistakes made in the past at other places.
Besides the great detail to our food and my son's safety, we found the place very clean, the room was great (we had a kids cabin) and the water park a ton of fun. The magic quest game was a great addition to the water fun! We are already planning a trip back.

Room Tip: the kids cabin was a hit. There are a set of bunk beds and a single bed inside a small "log ca...
3 Thank Michele P
Flagstaff, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

We had sort of a desperation stay at Great Wolf Lodge after our weekend plans fell through after our weeklong trip visiting family throughout MI. The kids had endured lots of car and family time, so we felt like we owed them some fun. I'm not sure we owed them $375/night worth of fun though! We booked literally the last room in the place for a Friday and Saturday night in high season, so we definitely paid a premium. This kid of place is my absolute worst nightmare, but we wanted to do it for the kids. We have a 10-yr-old and a 2-yr-old, neither of which is the "sweet spot" for Great Wolf Lodge. The 10-year-old is too old for the Magic Quest stuff and the waterpark only entertained him for so long. The 2-year-old can't swim and had really limited use of the waterpark. I would think that a kid in the 6-8 range would be ideal for this place. We had two meals in the restaurant and the service was great and food was surprisingly good. I also felt like it was a decent value and they didn't nickel and dime you. I escaped with the 2-year-old for a bit and took her for a run in the stroller along the bay. My preference would be to spend more of my time doing stuff outdoors (in the summer) and showing my kids other parts of Traverse City instead of being holed up in a chlorine-infested bubble. But, that's just me and Great Wolf could definitely be the ideal vacation for different travelers. My husband and I agreed that we're glad we did it, but we'll NEVER spend that kind of money to do it again.

Room Tip: I don't know if the MagicQuest stuff is in all of the hallways, but we had a bunch of it right o...
1 Thank Jacki L
Edwardsburg, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

Expensive,but great fun! Lot's to do,and the staff was wonderful,including Vicky from the restaurant.The food (dinner,and breakfast) was very tasty.We skipped the breakfast buffett($12-13) for a $7.00 order from the menu,and it fill me up.

Room Tip: The basic family room was good for us (family of 4) mini fridge,micro,ect.It sleeps 6!
1 Thank parafins
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

Our two young children (3.5 and 1.5) had an absolute blast at The Great Wolf Lodge. We parents were delighted watching them have fun.

Our room, a "wolf den" room, was spacious and clean. The wolf den has a queen bed for parents and then a "cave" with bunk beds for the kids. The den does not have a door, so there's no putting the kids to bed and staying up. However, the bottom bunk is so low to the ground that we decided to forego our pack-n-play and let our little one sleep in a "big girl bed."

Our housekeeping staff person was attentive. He made an elephant out of towels, which our girls liked. He was just finishing the room one day when we were heading into the room for naps, and he got out of our way pretty quickly.

The girls did story time in the lobby both nights, and loved the animated animals and trees telling a story. That being said, what they loved was watching the figures move; no one could hear a word of the story. (Also, they have the same story, but a more elaborate set-up, at the Wisc. Dells location.) Then they were even more thrilled to see the costumed characters in person. We paid a little extra for Wiley the Wolf to bring cookies to our room, and that was a huge hit.

The pool area is perfect for younger children. Our 3.5 year old had 2 small and 2 medium slides she could ride on, but the others were for older kids. I think kids up to age 10 or 11 would enjoy the park. After that, I think most of the slides would be too boring. Again, the pool area I think is better at the Wisc. Dells location.

The food - is disappointing, given that we were in Traverse City and there are so many fine dining options! The snack bar food at the pool was mostly fried food and all overpriced. The pizza was okay. The breakfast buffet was your typical buffet. I ordered breakfast off the menu - white chocolate cherry pancakes - and those were very good.

I had a massage at the adult spa, and it was great! My massage therapist did a fantastic job. And the price was really reasonable - cheaper than the spa I go to in Chicago.

All in all: This is NOT a place to go without kids. And I don't think older children - tweens and teens - would like it. But, for young kids, I have no doubt they will love it.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lisa S
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

The five kids ages 7-16 loved our time there. The rooms were great -
Clean and large with wonderful front desk personnel. Very accommodating. The breakfast lacked flavor and the service was slow. We ate most meals elsewhere in town. The rooms are expensive but the place is really wonderful!!

• Stayed August 2013
jlsheff
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

Stayed at this property as part of a very large lax tournament my son was participating in July. We had not been to this property in 9 years. Nothing had really changed except that everything was older and worn. I had booked a king bed room and asked to change to one with a couple queen or full size beds. Was told brusquely the hotel was completely sold out for the weekend and there was nothing to do about it. Thankfully, the room did have a pull out torture rack (aka sleeper sofa).

My son and his friends went to the water park and stated it was rather "cheesy". Their feedback was the waterpark was geared for kids 12 and under. Sophisticated teenagers didn't feel it was up to their standards.

I did not eat at any of their restaurants or shops because when I visited years before I recalled how expensive the meals or snacks were and how average to below average the service and food quality were. We went into Traverse City to some of the nice places downtown to eat.

Servicing of the rooms was prompt, but not thorough. They remade made beds and replaced towels, but did not do a decent job of either vacuuming or running the large lint rollers often used as there were debris on the rugs of our room in addition to cobwebs near the patio door. The common areas in the hotel on Saturday afternoon were abysmal. The hotel was taken up with mostly families in town for the lax tourney, but the carpets and stairways were in bad need of vacuuming. Why housekeeping didn't try to clean the common areas during the early evening hours is anyone's guess.

When I asked about a late check-out on Sunday, I was rudely told it was not possible. I found out later, a late check out is possible, but for a $35 fee. Really? I already paid over $250/night for an average room and now you are going to soak me for another $35???

My son mistakenly broke off his swim band. I asked about a replacement and was told by another front desk person in a firm tone the cost be another $35 dollars. See a trend here?

Except for the location and the swimming activities for younger children, I would not go back. This is one time I am glad to have teenagers. If I come back for another lax tournament, I will book into either a Marriott or Hilton property in the area instead. Their rates won't be cheap either, but at least I get a consistent quality with the stay and points or points and miles.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family