“Great Family Stay”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #7 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Reviewed July 6, 2013

My husband, who doesn't like overly commerical venues, rolled his eyes when we walked into the lodge. However, by the end of the first evening, even he was converted. The rooms were spacious, (our boys even had their own wolf den) dinner was all in-house made, prices were reasonable, and the waterpark was truly something. The staff goes out of their way to make sure that the kids are enjoying themselves. Our waitress from our first supper, Trina, was by far the best we've had.
The restaurant was just unbelievably accomodating to what our kids would eat. This was really was set the lodge apart. We were expecting mass produced food like one gets at Disneyland, but everything we had was very, very tasty; lots of healthy options, too.
Great outdoor pool with beach bar. We spent the entire day as a family playing in the waterpark. Those types of days just don't come around often enough.
Great place for family memories!

Room Tip: Wolf dens are fabulous for the little kids, plus they sometimes are on the for same price.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Great Wolf Lodge

Reviewed July 3, 2013

In the last year i have been to both great wolf lodge and boyne highlands and value for the price i would take boyne everyday. If you don't care about the shopping this is drastically overpriced, the food is on the low end and consider its competition in traverse city. I really liked having a security guard coming up to tell me I'm making noise with my 4 year old (who had been in bed for 30 min) and not listening (it was 930 pm) that we were not doing anything and to be quite honest i had headphones on, and was watching netflix on my laptop. But good on you great wolf lodge for not listening to your guests and I don't know giving them the benefit of the doubt. So to summarize, a good value at half the price. This is my first and last visit to the "Lodge"

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank horseiv
Reviewed June 26, 2013

My family had lots of fun on the water slides! The rooms are really nice, there are comfortable beds, beautiful rooms, wonderful environment, the view is amazing. They also have story time for the kids, as well. There is a workout room an a spa room. Arcade room is very fun, too. Good food, room service, a bar even. It is a good quality place to stay, vacate, visit. There are also other activities around the resort to enjoy, explore, and discover. (Such as sleeping bear dunes, beaches, so on.) My family will be returning this year for another round of fun an excitement.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank tonyakay
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I took my 11 year old daughter there and we only stayed one night. The water park wasn't too crowded and was just insane fun - do get ready to climb the stair for the longer water rides. The weather was nice enough to just hang outdoors as well. We didn't play mini golf but that looked pretty well maintained. We only needed one night for the water fun, but the younger kids looked like they were in heaven and saw them all up the following morning, ready to do more water park battle!

The biggest surprise was that our dinner at the restaurant was really good. Our server was very personable and the kitchen was efficient. I had a whitefish with almond dish that was delicious. The salads were crisp and fresh. Full bar - thank goodness. But all the food was really good.

Everyone there was helpful and pleasant. It was a nice break from a regular hotel. We would go again!

The only negative was that the a/c unit in the room was hard to control, and the room was either really cold or warm. I just turned it off right before we went to bed.

Room Tip: There are lots of versions of rooms, depending on how many people in your party. Best to call and a...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Margie S
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We had a wonderful time here. The front desk personnel were extremely friendly and welcoming. The staff members in the craft room were very nice and accommodating to our family. The room seemed "okay" on cleanliness. We probably would have preferred a little more attention to detail. The life guards in the baby pool did not seem to be very good or accommodating with young children and seemed more like they were just performing a job that had to be done. We mostly received excellent service at the restaurant. On one morning, the waitress was not attentive and that was a rough way to start our day. The children's activities are fantastic and we have already made reservations to stay again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank B P
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed for three days, two nights, which I think was the perfect amount of time. We have a 5, 9, and 12 year old--perfect ages for the amenities here. I would definitely recommend buying the Paw Pass for your children. I would never have bought all of these things individually (ex. A cup of candy), but all together the price was reasonable and we had a blast going from place to place making a stuffed animal, coloring a bag, playing MagiQuest, etc. The only thing I didn't like was that they replaced putt putt (it was closed for some reason) with a free pin. 'Not comparable in price, time, or fun level.

The water park is fun and clean. We have been to another MagiQuest in Myrtle Beach, and I definitely prefer the way this one is spread throughout the hotel, although certain spots get a lot of traffic. In general, I would recommend coming during the week to avoid the crowds and lines. We arrived on Wednesday and left on Friday just when the lines started to get a little longer and the guests a little ruder. Everyone who works here is very nice. The on-site restaurants were a bit pricey, but good food, even found some very good vegetarian options. Plus they have the wonderful critters platter with dip, yogurt, peanut butter, pretzels, fruit, veggies--what kid wouldn't love that? We never left the resort. Lots of fun. I should add that we came here on a Groupon so the total price for our trip seemed very reasonable. 'Not sure I would feel that way otherwise.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Sal M
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I recently stayed at GWL for 2 nights. It is an awesome place for families. But there are things you need to know before your stay that they don't tell you ahead of time. First of all you need to have $250.00 per night on your credit card that they hold as a damage deposit. Then after your stay it may be held for up to 5 business days depending on your financial institution. You are not able to pop popcorn in the microwave. There is a $250.00 fee for cleaning if you do. However you can get freshly popped popcorn at the Cub Club a place where the young ones can go to do crafts. There are free crafts and ones that you can pay extra for like painting a piggy bank. The popcorn taste like movie theatre popcorn and it is fairly reasonable. You can only purchase it during club club hours though so if you want it for a late night movie get it early! It is so worth it! You will have a bar fridge in your room so take the opportunity to bring your own snacks and food for lunch to save on costs. If you are looking for deals the arcade currently has an offer where you get receive 270 tokens and 500 tickets to be used towards prizes for $60.00 trust me u want to get this if you have kids who want to spend time in the arcade as the tokens can go fast. The games are from 1-4 tokens each. Great place to go for some family fun. There is an outdoor pool that is open if the weather permits. I would recommend getting to the waterpark when it opens as there are no line-ups for the slides. If you can go during the week it seems to be cheaper. Sign up to be on their e-mail list so you are kept apprised of any deals. Important mental note to make also is if you book during the week and the hotel is not fully book on the day you are checking out look on the back of your bill they sometimes offer you to stay a second night for $119.00 that is an awesome deal!!! Something to keep in mind when you are going. The staff are very friendly and seem to really enjoy their job which makes it a great environment everyone is so happy so don't be shy to wish them a great wolf day! Story time is also great! If you have a birthday be sure to let the staff know at cub club they will announce the birthday during story time. There is also outdoor golf (weather permitting) there is a section on their website for printable coupons so be sure to print some out before you go. The buffet's are fairly expensive so I would recommend you bring your own breakfast and lunch to save on costs. But if you want to try one of the buffet meals Dinner is definitely the one to go with. The food is amazing and there are alot of options. There is a small gym for those who want to stick with their work out schedule and the waterpark has something for all ages young and old. Don't forget to try the outdoor hot tub! I would recommend that you bring your own towels just for the waterpark as they are not so big, you get plenty in your room for bathing. I would also recommend water shoes. My 2 year old son has fallen the last two times we have been there. The first time he hit his head fairly hard slipping and most recently took the skin off the top of his toe and a portion of his nail due to banging it against the stairs. He was so excited that he could go on the slide. It is fairly slippery so don''t forget the water shoes! I know I won't next time. The staff were very helpful and cleaned his cut and bandaged him up. We have been there for Thanksgiving several times, Christmas, Hawaiian Luau and Halloween, so we are thinking about going for New Years this year. I do think they should give some type of incentive for repeat guests though for being so loyal to Great wolf lodge. We have been there numerous times and have not really been rewarded for it like other hotels offer incentives. Bottom line great place to go, a guaranteed awesome family getaway! The family dances are great too! We were just there in November and again this week and we will be heading there again in January. I just can't seem to get enough of GWL! I don't know who gets more excited me or the kids! The only negative thing I would say is that the pull out couches are SO uncomfortable i literally had a backache from sleeping on it. you could feel the springs in your back. I had a horrible sleep both nights. But the actual beds are really comfortable so if you don't need to sleep on the pull out DON'T! Otherwise best place EVER! Have fun :)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family