“Great way to celebrate a birthday!”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #7 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Just spent the night at Great Wolf Lodge to celebrate my son's 8th birthday. We had a blast. The waterpark is amazing - lots of fun things to do. Our boys 11 and 8 loved the slides and they were tall enough to enjoy them all. We traveled with family and their cousines (ages 5 and 1) enjoyed the waterpark - there was something there for every age. Not a big fan of the arcade - 2 tokens for each game (at least). Guess we got spoiled at Chuck E Cheese. Wish they would have done something little/special for our birthday boy. It looks like our only option was the $125 birthday package. Maybe they'll come up with something smaller, less money, but nice to honor the birthday child.

Room Tip: Take the upgrade if available - the larger rooms are amazing!!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank jenwitmay
Write a ReviewReviews (2,339)

Reviewed January 23, 2013

There are some great suites with multiple bedrooms for big families or groups of families. Tons of stuff for kids to do.

Not so much the kind of place for middle-aged couples to go and party. There are people walking the halls dressed in wolf/cat/raccoon costumes at bedtime delivering milk and cookies, so be prepared to feel like you're in another world.

Water park is fantastic if you like that kind of thing.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed quiet, despite the number of kids. And there's quiet time between certain hours...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank nitw63
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We were in Traverse City for a wedding, and while most guests stayed at the Grand Traverse Bay Resort & Spa we opted for Great Wolf Lodge. We had heard from friends that GWL had a great water park, and they were right. Yes, the price for the room is a bit steep, but it includes water park passes for everyone in your group.
Check-in was a breeze and the front-desk clerk was friendly and welcoming. We stayed in a Kid Cabin on the same level as the water park, which was convenient, however BECAUSE we were on the same level as the water park there was a lot of hallway noise - early in the morning and late into the evening. There was also a lot of noise coming from the room next door. I didn't call the front desk as I know this hotel caters to families with small children, and that's what you get - a lot of noise!
My kids loved the bunk beds and the "cabin" feel of their room. They felt as if they had their own room all to themselves, complete with their own TV.
The queen bed was OK. A tad small for my husband and I, and extremely soft. If you have back issues you may have a hard time sleeping.
There was a mini-fridge, microwave and coffee maker in the room, which was great (if you're particular about your coffee or a coffee-snob like me, however, skip the in-room coffee and buy some at the sweet shop down the hall).
The bathroom was clean, however small and cramped. Hard to get in and close the door. Loved the shampoo and shower gels, though. So did my daughter - one of the shampoos for the kids was "bubblegum" scented!
The water park was great. I would recommend it for kids under the age of 12. Any older than that and it may seem small and - dare I say, boring. But if you're the parent of younger children this is the water park for you! It was extremely clean and the lifeguards were beyond attentive. I would have to say that of all the water parks our family has been to I felt safest here. The lifeguards obviously receive a ton of training.
They have an arcade and mini-golf on the water park level, however we did neither. It also looked as if they had a place where staff would look after your children so the adults could have some time sans children, however I'm not 100% sure what that was or if there was a fee associated with it.
If you get to the hotel and realize that you have forgotten something, no worries - there is a Meijer located right next to the hotel. And if you don't want to spend an arm and a leg on hotel dining there is a great family restaurant on the way out of town called The Original Flap Jack Shack. We ate there twice it was so good!

Room Tip: Top floor, furthest away from the water park - you'll get the least amount of hallway noise.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank petstone
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Took our granddaughters for 2 nights after Christmas. Stayed in a wolf den suite. Room was immaculate. Stayed on waterpark level. Had a great time. Waterpark was fun and the girls ages 5, 3 & 3 had a great time. Price was high since it was week of Christmas but that is to be expected. Food in restaurant was very good. Everyone was friendly. Great treat shop with Starbucks coffee, ice cream, and lots of goodies. Played in arcade. No problems with noise in our room. Girls can't wait to go back. So much fun for kids and adults. Nothing to complain about. This is a great place for families to have lots of fun.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Great Wolf Lodge was an awesome and fun time for my family. My mother in law, brother in law, 2 year old son, my husband, and myself all went. Your life guards completely blew my away at how vigilante and attentive they were to the water at ALL times. I was truly impressed! I felt very safe that my family was in good hands in the water park. My REAL only complaint was a small one. We had dinner at the Camp Critter restaurant downstairs, and the children's meals were outrageously expensive. I ordered the mac 'n cheese meal for my son, thinking it would be home made, but it was Kraft Easy Mac. That really ticked me off. Those are a dollar a box. I just couldn't believe GWL would charge that much for a small helping of bottom of the barrel mac and cheese. Other than that little complaint, we really enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Candace A
Reviewed December 4, 2012

This place is great. I took my 3 year old, mother and sister and we had a blast. We played at the water park, sat with the characters at story time, she built her own wolf, and thouroughly enjoyed the kid cabin. The prices are the only slight complaint I have, but the experience was worth it. The price of the water park is built into the room cost, so it adds that value to it. I wish the water park would of been open slightly later, so adults could enjoy a little time away. The arcade is amazing with a large selection of games and acitivities. I will be going again!

Room Tip: The rooms heat up fast...don't leave the fireplace and furnace on at the same time, you'll h...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank magnusprime1984
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Although most people will look at the rates for the hotel and think it is pricey; it is SO worth every cent. We went with grand-kids and there was so much to do. The indoor water-park is huge with water levels for every age. They have a "Harry Potter" type of adventure that you can spend days playing that is fun for all ages, but you do have to purchase the wand. But here again, worth the price. All the employees were so gracious, and seemed to go out of their way to help. Food in the restaurant was great. A Meijer right next door came in super handy when ONE of us discovered she forgot her bathing suit. This is quality fun, nothing out of order, and everything was SPOTLESS. They cater to kids, but they certainly don't forget who brings the kids in. They also have a bar and a beautiful spa if you have time or energy. Something else to note that we thought was impressive was that the water-park had lifts for handicap children so they could be lowered and lifted into the water. AWESOME! We will go back for another family stay. Great way to connect with the grand-kids.

Room Tip: Definitely get a room with a Kids Cabin or above. If quietness is important go to the 4th floor, but...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family