Traverse Area Recreation and Transportation Trails
Ranked #13 of 116 things to do in Traverse City
More attraction details
Owner description: Traverse Area Recreation & Transportation (TART) Trails is system of paved and dirt trails for walkers, hikers, bikers, skaters and skiers in Northern Michigan. Trails are open year-round and available for many users and uses. Many of the paved trails offer access to local breweries, wineries, coffeehouses, restaurants and other area attractions such as lakes, river and beaches. Many of the dirt trails offer world class mountain biking and hiking opportunities for users of various skill levels. Numerous area bike shops offer rentals for any type of technical or recreational riders. Dogs are also welcomed on the trails and must be leashed and cleaned up after.
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We rode the Tart Trail west from Brick Wheels bike shop. Nice trail. Wide, paved and easy to ride. The guys at Brick Wheels took care of us as we
both had some bicycle tweaking that needed to be done. They're the best.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

I rode from the trailhead at Bunker Hill Road to Suttons Bay and back. This is a great trail for riders of all levels and much safer than braving the roads. Glad to see that the pavement is completed between TC and SB.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

We brought our bikes and rode the TART trail - just splendid. Parts go right by the lakefront and it was a perfect family ride.

1  Thank Jan M
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I love this trail!! This trail will take you from one bay to the next and even further. Last evening I jumped on the trail and rode 9 miles one way. I did get a little confused as I came into the downtown area from the east. I ended up riding through town and finally got back on the trail close to Tom's Supermarket. On my way back, I missed the turn to take me back across the highway and still found my way back to the trail.

I jumped on the trail this morning and rode the same 9 mile ride, except I followed the trail completely. Just pay close attention to all of the TART symbols on the ground and you will be fine.

1  Thank regionaltraveler
Reviewed June 7, 2012

This is our second trip to the TC area, and we've had difficulty both times finding detailed info on specific hiking trails. To select a trail that would interest us, we need to know not only its location on an interactive map (like Google's) and length, but also it's level of difficulty, type of path and terrain, what we might see on the hike, and where the trailheads are. We were able to find all of this for the Sleeping Bear trails, but only at one or two websites. Other sites had only some info. Even worse was trying to find such info on the Vasa Pathway. Only the Runner's World website had a decent narrative describing the trails. Even the official TART website was inadequate in this regard, and some of the links don't even work.

Anyway, it's easy to find the trailhead on the maps. We walked the first 5K (about 3 mis.), which is a loop. The entire trail system is unpaved and popular also for mountain biking. There are a couple of shorcuts across the two sides of the first loop, in case you want to return to the parking lot without doing the entire loop. As the weather was cool, in the low 70s and sunny, it was pleasant. The trail runs through a thick pine and cedar woods, and it's wide and well maintained. During an afternoon on a weekday, it was quiet with few people. I would say it is moderate in difficulty, with both flat and easy and slowly rising hill areas. There are patches of loose sand on the trail, but there is mostly firm soil or mulch. There is a narrow creek that runs down the middle of the loop, which can be seen or reached at a few points. Other than that, the scenery of trees and other vegetation is the same the whole way. We saw no animal life except one little toad, one little garter snake and a chipmunk.

So, it's a mildly challenging hike on a nice path, but not that interesting scenery wise.