“Accolades are right-on”
Review of Traverse Bay Inn

Traverse Bay Inn
Ranked #23 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We like to stay at B&B's, but wanted to bring our 20 lb terrier on this trip since it's only a 4hr drive from home. I was expecting to have to lower our standards substantially to stay somewhere that accepts pets, but took a chance on Traverse Bay Inn based on TripAdvisor reviews. We stayed in a two bedroom suite that was absolutely spotless -- including the carpet. We had maid service every day and couldn't ask for more, esp for less than $100 for two nights (Mon and Tues in late Sept). Our bedroom (and I think all rooms from 111-120) faces a wooded preserve, so it is nice and private. The motel is located on a major thoroughfare with lots of motels and resorts, but set back from traffic. The best restaurants are in town, about a 10 min. drive. There is a great walking/jogging/bike path behind the motel that can be accessed behind the Family Video two doors down. We love TC. Everyone we meet is so friendly, including the staff that checked us in. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: perfect spot for COURTEOUS and RESPONSIBLE pet owners
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank KMR165

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Old fashioned motel with parking right at door to room. Extremely clean. Even an extra bedroom on 2nd floor. Good shower. Kitchenette very clean and tidy. Welcoming and helpful front desk service. Room rate was incredibly reasonable. Only negative was the the window blinds were not completely secure in that they did not cover the entire window space, i.e. someone could look in from the outside at the window edges. A little disconcerting as far as privacy. All-in-all, this was a motel that was well taken care of by the management.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RarelyaReviewer
Reviewed September 13, 2012

My wife and I purchased a two night's stay at this motel through Priceline for $110 which included all taxes and fees. The room included a kitchenette connected to a living room which had a nice couch and a 32in. flat screen tv, a master bedroom downstairs, an upstairs bedroom with two queen beds, and a bathroom with a tub/shower combination. The downstairs and upstairs bedrooms both had their own smaller tv's. My wife's only complaint about the bathroom was the small sink without a vanity. It did, however, have a cabinet above the sink for all your sundries. We found the room to be very clean. Other amenities included a nice pool, bikes available to ride at no charge, and a great location, i.e. a nice public beach across the street from the hotel, a nice pedestrian/bicycle trail immediately behind the hotel, and it's proximity to the downtown area and numerous other attractions. The front desk staff was very welcoming and helpful, i.e. advising us of a great coffee shop, "Crow About It," which was located in a strip mall within easy walking distance or a very short drive. This certainly has to be the best one star hotel you could find anywhere in the country. We really felt good about the savings we experienced by staying here as opposed to paying well over double the amount for motels/hotels in the area that would be no better or maybe not even match-up to the Traverse Bay Inn.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank durf1
Reviewed September 6, 2012

The location is great at east bay. I chose this motel based on trip advisor reviews. The rooms were clean (with exception of the carpeting, which is strange because the carpet appeared clean and newer, but the bottom of my feet did turn black as stated in another review)...but, that aside, the beds were clean and the bathroom was clean which is what I care about. We had a two bedroom suite with the second room upstairs with two beds and there was plenty of room for our 1 year old's pack n play (travel bed) up there. Grandma and grandpa slept in the downstairs bedroom and we slept in the upstairs bedroom. I suggest bringing a safety gate for the bottom of the stairs if you have a toddler...lol! Anyhoo, the building and rooms are nicely maintained. The fullsize fridge and freezer was nice to have. We had a minor problem in the room, but all we had to do was let the person in the office know and it was fixed that day. The pool was great and also very clean.
We had a good stay and we would stay at the Traverse Bay Inn again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank chramo
Reviewed September 1, 2012

The Traverse Bay Inn is on the south side of Highway 31 across the street from the beachfront hotels. It is a very nice non-chain hotel and our room had two bedrooms and a kitchenette (a very good value). It was a bit cozy getting 4 people around the kitchen table (a table leg was loose and the manager came over immediately and fixed it on the spot). There is a nicely landscaped pool that offers a small game room, picnic tables, and an immaculately maintained grill that many guests took advantage of, including us. The pool was clean and the the water was a nice temperature. There were free cruiser bikes that we took on the bike trail that runs behind the hotel for a fun outing. Overall, a very nice place to stay, a great value, and we would definitely go back again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank WanderingSoal
Reviewed August 18, 2012

I read the reviews thoroughly before booking a room here because it was so cheap! Most were very good. When my husband and I came for a two night stay, we were not expecting the Ritz. It was a nice enough room with a Jacuzzi tube, but the carpeting was DISGUSTING! The room had a foul odor to it, and I knew it was from the old, wet carpeting. The room felt damp, and we never had maid service. I think this could be a great place to stay, but for the gross old carpeting. I think the layout of the rooms are cool and I don't even mind the lack of maid service, but the carpeting, plus the Jacuzzi tub made for a damp, and smelly, room. I feel bad giving such a poor review, but I would just like management to know this and hope that the carpeting will be changed soon. If so, I would love to come back and stay because the rooms were neat and the location great!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kat036
TBI-Owner, Owner at Traverse Bay Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2012

Thank you, Thank you, and Thank you! Due to your comments we took the room off rental and found and repaired a problem that was unknown to us. Much appreciated and I hope you will see your way to try us again on a future trip to TC. - Jeff

Reviewed August 8, 2012

My sister and I spent four nights at the Traverse Bay Inn. The rooms weren't bad and there was certainly enough space, but we never had our garbage emptied or our rooms cleaned more than once in four days. We received clean towels only when we asked for them. When we went to check out at 7:30 a.m., there was no one there to check us out. Coffee for the coffee maker was only replenished when we asked for it. I had to call the owner(?) and read him my credit card over the phone because he said he couldn't make to the property for at least 1/2 an hour. My sister chose the Traverse Bay Inn on the basis of the space and the reviews on Tripadvisor, which seemed to be very positive. I'm not sure what happened.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank apearl0611
TBI-Owner, Owner at Traverse Bay Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2012

Thank you for your review. We are always interested in making our procedures better or doing whatever it takes to avoid any guest problems and your review will help us to do that. You are absolutely correct; we did a full clean in your room one of the 4 days of your stay. Someone in your party was approached each day and we were under the impression that you did not want service since whomever we talked to said "all we want is towels", we no doubt just misunderstood. I was personally there each day and unfortunately did not have the pleasure of meeting you so I apologies for the problems and can only wish that I would have been aware of the situation so that we could have avoided the inconveniences that you experienced. I do hope you will visit Traverse City again sometime and not allow your unfortunate experiences with us reflect upon the area at large. Thanks again. - Jeff