“Must Go if in TC with Young Kids!”

Great Lakes Children's Museum
Ranked #33 of 113 things to do in Traverse City
More attraction details
Owner description: Hands-on interactive creative play. Water Table, Light House, Freighter and more...
Troy, MI
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Must Go if in TC with Young Kids!”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We visited the Great Lakes Children's Museum, and it was clean had variety, craft/activity room had great variety, and fun for both boys and girls! My kids are 4 (girl) and 2 (boy) and it was a blast! We loved the big boat, and enough space to run around in (visited during winter season). They did not want to leave, and my husband and I were able to have a little fun with them and at times sit back and relax.

Visited January 2012
3 Thank Mindy22

Wellston
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Interactive place with great info!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I visit the museum every month for a board meeting. I always enjoy looking at the displays and watching the children and adults enjoying the activites. It is very close to Traverse City and has other interesting spots to visit in the area.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank donaldstauffer
Traverse City, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great gift idea”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I am a real estate agent and one of my favorite closing gifts is a family membership to the GLChildren's Museum... especially for those who move here from out of the area. Great for Grandparents too!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Marsha M
Traverse City, Michigan
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“It's okay once in awhile...”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I wish I could give this place high praises, but I feel you just don't get enough "bang for you hard earned bucks" here (Read--parents should not have to fork over the same fee as the kids!). We go about once a year (if that) and only live 15 minutes away. Favorites for my daughter (4.5yrs) are the Lighthouse keepers Quarters, the "watercycle" slide and the water table (my personal favorite :) Honestly we will travel the hour to Gaylord to visit their Discovery Center and easily spend 2-3+ hours there (and I have to pull my kiddo away when we leave) It's a great example of what can be built on a very low budget that most kids will find fun, imaginative and challenging. The Great Lake Children's Museum could take some notes in that dept. instead of relying on $$$ from other sources that can dictate what you do with those funds.

Visited January 2012
2 Thank MichiganMomma74
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A good rainy day activity”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Today we visited the children's museum with our two kids aged 1 & 5. We love visiting vacation spots with children' s museums to see the differences compared to a great one in our home town. that in our home town. This one was rather small. Only two rooms. Themes were relative to the No. Woods area (boating, weather, conservation, the Great Lakes & lighthouses). Our kids enjoyed the climbing structures, the frieghter ship, and the water table the best. It was a good rainy day activity for about 2 hrs in length.