Great Lakes Children's Museum
Ranked #33 of 116 things to do in Traverse City
More attraction details
Owner description: Hands-on interactive creative play. Water Table, Light House, Freighter and more...
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I visit the museum every month for a board meeting. I always enjoy looking at the displays and watching the children and adults enjoying the activites. It is very close to Traverse City and has other interesting spots to visit in the area.

1  Thank donaldstauffer

Reviewed September 10, 2012

I am a real estate agent and one of my favorite closing gifts is a family membership to the GLChildren's Museum... especially for those who move here from out of the area. Great for Grandparents too!

1  Thank Marsha M
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I wish I could give this place high praises, but I feel you just don't get enough "bang for you hard earned bucks" here (Read--parents should not have to fork over the same fee as the kids!). We go about once a year (if that) and only live 15 minutes away. Favorites for my daughter (4.5yrs) are the Lighthouse keepers Quarters, the "watercycle" slide and the water table (my personal favorite :) Honestly we will travel the hour to Gaylord to visit their Discovery Center and easily spend 2-3+ hours there (and I have to pull my kiddo away when we leave) It's a great example of what can be built on a very low budget that most kids will find fun, imaginative and challenging. The Great Lake Children's Museum could take some notes in that dept. instead of relying on $$$ from other sources that can dictate what you do with those funds.

2  Thank MichiganMomma74
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Today we visited the children's museum with our two kids aged 1 & 5. We love visiting vacation spots with children' s museums to see the differences compared to a great one in our home town. that in our home town. This one was rather small. Only two rooms. Themes were relative to the No. Woods area (boating, weather, conservation, the Great Lakes & lighthouses). Our kids enjoyed the climbing structures, the frieghter ship, and the water table the best. It was a good rainy day activity for about 2 hrs in length.

Reviewed June 21, 2012

We visited the Great Lakes Children's Museum in June 2012 and had a great time. It was virtually empty at the time as the weather outside was gorgeous, but we were told that the previous rainy weekend saw 300+ visitors. Hearing those kinds of numbers helps know the museum is healthy and well visited.

We could tell that the museum had a mix of permanent and rotating exhibits, all of which provide different hands-on interactions for the kids. Our 2.5 year-old daughter liked the "make your own kite" crafting area, the stairs / slide, and the dress-up house. For the $6 entry fee the 90 minutes we spent here was well worth it.

1  Thank PuckStop