“A good stay, but...”

Ranked #16 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“A good stay, but...”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed two nights at Sugar Beach and enjoyed the stay for the most part. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. I loved being right on the beach. We didn't get up in time for breakfast.

I was very excited to see that adults only were allowed in the pool from 10:00 to 11:00 pm, as we were trying to spend some time without our own kids... We went down to the pool ready to sit in the hot tub until the families headed out. At 9:45, a couple dropped off 5 kids under 12 and took off. 10 o'clock came and went. At 10:20 a staff member came out and told the kids they had 5 more minutes. 10 minutes later the kids are still splashing and running around the pool. I went to the front desk and complained. I was VERY disappointed that then at 10:55, an employee came in and told the adults, who were finally able to relax and swim some laps, a five minute warning...

I may stay there again, but I will complain much louder and much more quickly were something similar to happen again... I was very disappointed with this experience. The staff were aware there was no adult with these kids and let them swim unsupervised. Not only is it annoying when a hotel disregards it's policies on adult swim time, but this was also hazardous for the children when a safety rule is broken.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Korean first
Minneapolis
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

We looked at several properties online before we settled on this one. We spent a few extra dollars for a water view room. We are very happy. It's quiet, clean and the staff friendly and helpful. Our room is large with a walk-in shower which is a plus for arthritic knees. We have enjoyed watching sunset from our balcony and walks along the beach. This is a great off-season value.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Mplsmyrn
Bay City
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed there for the first time and we loved it! The rooms were clean, not overly warm as you could control the temp of your room and it actually worked!!!! The staff was kind and check in was fast. Great maned breakfast buffet with room. We will definetly stay there again.

Room Tip: While there there was a power outage. We were only on second floor so was easy to take stairs next t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Every time I come to the area (can be up to 3-4 x's/mos) I stay at your hotel. I have never had a bad experience and enjoy the location so much!. I have to travel anywhere from 1-2 hours north and south of the location for work purposes and, no matter the time I get back, (can be near midnight at times) I have always encountered friendly and helpful staff. All the ameneties have been very clean in my experiences. Thanks also for bringing back waffles!!

Good job to the staff at Sugar Beach!! I will continue to refer friends, family, and coworkers to also stay at your hotel

Room Tip: Have stayed in courtside and beach front. All have been very positive
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Mount Pleasant, Michigan
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I am so happy I chose the Sugar Beach Resort!! I am always looking for new places to visit and experience and this was by far one of the best! The rooms were amazingly clean and I consider myself a huge skeptic. The view was gorgeous, I stayed in a room that overlooked East Bay. The staff members were all great! From the gentleman who checked me in, the gal who attended the wonderful breakfast bar, the room attendant to the incredibly sweet gal who checked me out. They have the best staff!!! I will be back!

Room Tip: Call to make your reservation, they are so helpful!!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Plainwell, Michigan, United States
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed here with our children (11 and 17) on the beach view side of the resort. It was a fabulous view day and night, the swimming was great for the kids, and my husband and I curled up in a cabana and still had a good view on the kids. That evening a group got a volley ball game going on the beach and we watched (and were invited to join) from our balcony. We have visited the Traverse City area multiple times a year and it is always a pleasure. My pet peeve is rudeness and you won't find it here!

Room Tip: Of course beach view is the way to go- the sunsets are breathtaking!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Lake Wales, Florida
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We arrived in town @ 6am after a very long day of traveling all the way from Florida. The hotel staff was nice enough to let us check in as the room wasnt occupied at the time so that we could catch up on our sleep before our day of adventure. The room was extremely clean just as it always is. This time though we got a bay view room (room 130) It was amazing!!! Woke up one morning to snow falling on the Bay. Pool and Jacuzzi were awesome and we loved that there are no kids after 10 pm allowed in those areas. Beds were amazingly comfortable and I just cant say enough good things about this hotel and their staff.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family