All reviews great beach sister property waffles continental breakfast beachfront room grand beach indoor pool plenty of chairs beach view first floor family suite every morning ground floor beach chairs the breakfast area boiled eggs nice resort
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Traverse City has a row of resorts 3-4 miles outside of town, on the beach. I picked this hotel because I had stayed there before. All of the hotels along Munson Ave. are $200+ and not anything special. On the pro side, this hotel had large rooms, a nice view from the breakfast lounge and a nice beach. The rooms had a large frig and microwave, and a DVD player which was great for us. Across the street is the Trail which you can run on all the way into town and that was great.

On the con side, we had to fight at the front desk to not get a room on the first floor facing the parking lot so the headlights come in the room. And the rooms on the first floor smelled like smoking rooms. Yuck. We fought and got a room on the second floor. The breakfast buffet is continental, nothing special. And the way it's set up creates a huge backup for folks to get to the food especially on the weekend when it's busy. They should break up the food into separate stations for better flow. It's about four miles into town so not convenient if you want to walk into town.

Next time we are in Traverse City we will look for some more affordable options. We discovered The Village about two miles south of TC that offers rooms to rent. It's a pretty cool complex that is rapidly developing that we discovered on our way out of town. Will check it out the next time we travel there.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Our stay was at the end of August. I am posting this review both under Grand Beach and Sugar Beach. Why? Because the rooms are the same in both properties, or at least that is what I am told. Both properties are listed individually and reservations can be made at either. They are "sister" properties under the same Web site. We booked a "courtyard, king, spa" room at the Our stay was at the end of August. I am posting this review both under Grand Beach and Sugar Beach. Why? Because the rooms are the same in both properties, or at least that is what I am told. Both properties are listed individually and reservations can be made at either. They are "sister" properties under the same Web site. We booked a "courtyard, king, spa" room at the Grand Beach through AAA. We arrived at the Grand Beach and found that our room was switched to the Sugar Beach. The desk clerk said that this is done when a room isn't available. We were not happy, but accepted the change. If we weren't tired, then maybe we would have thought to call AAA about this at check-in. We didn't and stayed at the Sugar Beach.

Following the trip, I contacted AAA and Grand Beach about this. AAA said that we should have called them before or during our stay and WAS NOT INTERESTED in investigating any further. Grand Beach management, on the other hand, was VERY RESPONSIVE to my inquiry and told me that the last room of the kind I reserved became unavailable at the same time as the AAA booking I thought I made was being made, It happens. Maybe the Grand Beach can do something with their reservations system so that this does not happen, and if it does, that affected customers be notified. According to management, the rooms are the same in one property as the other. There is no way to truly know this without actually staying at both properties. Also, I would suspect that there would be minor differences in the pool areas, breakfast area, etc. In any case, I was satisfied with the management response. Thanks, Justin.

Since both properties are "the same," then any review of the properties will apply to both - right?

Be wary of the descriptions that mention private balconies and courtyards. The balconies are only on the beach side. The courtyards are not courtyards, but parking lot views. Why not just say it -- parking lot view. See how easy that is! Instead, management uses a bit of puffery to make a parking lot sound attractive.

Speaking of puffery -- high speed WiFi. I was lucky to get connected and had the connection drop quite frequently. When connected, it wsa rarely faster than painfully slow. The Grand Beach/Sugar Beach needs to upgrade their WiFi service. For all practical purposes, we really had unusable WiFi.

The location is good and the staff is friendly and mostly helpful. The only real issue we had was with the toilet paper holder -- left side was loose and the bar fell off. We left a note for this to be fixed and it was, sort of. The next day the other side fell off. We didn't leave a note and it was not fixed. We do think housekeeping should have reported the broken fixture to maintenance. We also wonder on how thorough the cleaning of the bathroom was that second morning since there was garbage in the garbage can and the toilet paper was on the floor in the EXACT position we left it. Housekeeping also did not leave any washcloths. We called the front desk about the washcloths and TP fixture. The TP fixture was fixed promptly and fixed completely this second time around. Housekeeping again failed to bring washcloths the following day, but this time we caught up with the person and the woman said she did not have any left on her cart. A bit later, she came back with the washcloths. Maybe housekeeping needs to make sure they have enough product on their carts!

The beds were reasonably comfortable except I felt as if I was sliding off, towards the foot of the bed. My wife did not seem to have that problem. The pillows were nice, big, almost too bulky.

Continental breakfasts are okay, but very basic. One nice thing they have is an automatic pancake maker. Nice. Waffle makers would have been nice too. There is a Bob Evans within easy walking distance if you want a full breakfast.

Parking was tight and adequate, but some customers do NOT know how to park, or think they rate 2 spots. If parking wasn't tight, this might not have been as noticeable.

We didn't get a chance to use the beach, but it looked nice and was clean. the only thing I noticed that might be a problem is the availability of beach chairs. Many seemed to have been "claimed," but no one was anywhere near those chairs. Also, since we do not like to get fried in the sun, we would not be out on the beach for long without umbrellas above the chairs.

Overall, a pleasant stay. If in the area again, we would consider staying at the Grand Beach/Sugar Beach property.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rft0000
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Overall, this was a great place to stay. All the staff we encountered were very helpful & friendly. We stayed in a king size courtyard room beginning on Labor Day. It seemed like an ideal time to go because the rates were lower & we seemed to have the area to ourselves. I thought the shower was really nice & large & we also had a large jacuzzi tub in our room. Not a fan of the sink outside the bathroom, but it was OK. The room was clean. They kept it pretty cold, but it was easily adjustable. The coffee maker in our room didn't work right, but it didn't matter because they have free coffee/tea 24hrs/day in the lobby. They also kept large bowls of oranges, apples & bananas in the breakfast area at all times, which I thought was nice. The bed was just Ok & my husband & I thought the pillows were a bit hard. As far as noise goes, you've got your usual suspects of other hotel guests, the fridge & ac unit. Even though we were on the street side we weren't bothered by street noise. The breakfast was adequate with a variety of foods to get you started on your day. If you don't like what they have, just bring your own because the rooms have a fridge, microwave & coffe maker.

The water on the beach is crystal clear! We brought our own kayaks & were just amazed how far out we could go & still see the bottom.

Room Tip: If you're budget minded, the courtyard side is fine. Not a water view, but no road noise & you still have lots of places to sit & enjoy the beach side.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Great spot to stay. Right off the beach, near restaurants, not far from the downtown area, there is a casino near by. The beach is gorgeous and clean. We were able to jet ski and parasail. Wonderful area!!!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed September 1, 2012

We stay here every year and they have never disappointed. The rooms are all updated, modern, and very clean. There is a microwave, mini fridge, and nice TV in every room. The beach is one of the largest in the area and it's groomed every morning. Breakfast is a little sparse but the hotel is located on the main road so you can literally walk to dozens of restaurants. The front desk and housekeeping staff are all polite and efficient. They have an indoor pool which is also clean and well maintained.

• Stayed: August 2012