Our stay was at the end of August. I am posting this review both under Grand Beach and Sugar Beach. Why? Because the rooms are the same in both properties, or at least that is what I am told. Both properties are listed individually and reservations can be made at either. They are "sister" properties under the same Web site. We booked a "courtyard, king, spa" room at the Our stay was at the end of August. I am posting this review both under Grand Beach and Sugar Beach. Why? Because the rooms are the same in both properties, or at least that is what I am told. Both properties are listed individually and reservations can be made at either. They are "sister" properties under the same Web site. We booked a "courtyard, king, spa" room at the Grand Beach through AAA. We arrived at the Grand Beach and found that our room was switched to the Sugar Beach. The desk clerk said that this is done when a room isn't available. We were not happy, but accepted the change. If we weren't tired, then maybe we would have thought to call AAA about this at check-in. We didn't and stayed at the Sugar Beach.
Following the trip, I contacted AAA and Grand Beach about this. AAA said that we should have called them before or during our stay and WAS NOT INTERESTED in investigating any further. Grand Beach management, on the other hand, was VERY RESPONSIVE to my inquiry and told me that the last room of the kind I reserved became unavailable at the same time as the AAA booking I thought I made was being made, It happens. Maybe the Grand Beach can do something with their reservations system so that this does not happen, and if it does, that affected customers be notified. According to management, the rooms are the same in one property as the other. There is no way to truly know this without actually staying at both properties. Also, I would suspect that there would be minor differences in the pool areas, breakfast area, etc. In any case, I was satisfied with the management response. Thanks, Justin.
Since both properties are "the same," then any review of the properties will apply to both - right?
Be wary of the descriptions that mention private balconies and courtyards. The balconies are only on the beach side. The courtyards are not courtyards, but parking lot views. Why not just say it -- parking lot view. See how easy that is! Instead, management uses a bit of puffery to make a parking lot sound attractive.
Speaking of puffery -- high speed WiFi. I was lucky to get connected and had the connection drop quite frequently. When connected, it wsa rarely faster than painfully slow. The Grand Beach/Sugar Beach needs to upgrade their WiFi service. For all practical purposes, we really had unusable WiFi.
The location is good and the staff is friendly and mostly helpful. The only real issue we had was with the toilet paper holder -- left side was loose and the bar fell off. We left a note for this to be fixed and it was, sort of. The next day the other side fell off. We didn't leave a note and it was not fixed. We do think housekeeping should have reported the broken fixture to maintenance. We also wonder on how thorough the cleaning of the bathroom was that second morning since there was garbage in the garbage can and the toilet paper was on the floor in the EXACT position we left it. Housekeeping also did not leave any washcloths. We called the front desk about the washcloths and TP fixture. The TP fixture was fixed promptly and fixed completely this second time around. Housekeeping again failed to bring washcloths the following day, but this time we caught up with the person and the woman said she did not have any left on her cart. A bit later, she came back with the washcloths. Maybe housekeeping needs to make sure they have enough product on their carts!
The beds were reasonably comfortable except I felt as if I was sliding off, towards the foot of the bed. My wife did not seem to have that problem. The pillows were nice, big, almost too bulky.
Continental breakfasts are okay, but very basic. One nice thing they have is an automatic pancake maker. Nice. Waffle makers would have been nice too. There is a Bob Evans within easy walking distance if you want a full breakfast.
Parking was tight and adequate, but some customers do NOT know how to park, or think they rate 2 spots. If parking wasn't tight, this might not have been as noticeable.
We didn't get a chance to use the beach, but it looked nice and was clean. the only thing I noticed that might be a problem is the availability of beach chairs. Many seemed to have been "claimed," but no one was anywhere near those chairs. Also, since we do not like to get fried in the sun, we would not be out on the beach for long without umbrellas above the chairs.
Overall, a pleasant stay. If in the area again, we would consider staying at the Grand Beach/Sugar Beach property.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sugar Beach Resort Hotel is situated on over 300' of the sugar sand beaches of East Grand Traverse Bay leading into the gorgeous waters of Lake Michigan and is as sweet as the name implies. Fully renovated in 2017, Sugar Beach Resort Hotel gives you the perfect location for local eateries, wineries, breweries and local shopping as well water sports right on the beach. The pillow-top mattresses ensure a great night’s rest and the view overlooking the bay while you enjoy a complimentary deluxe continental breakfast simply cannot be beat. Included in every guest room is a mini-fridge, microwave, coffeemaker and personal safe. After a day on the town relax in our heated hot tub, take a dip in our indoor pool, or work off the day’s indulges in our fitness center. From larger suites that can accommodate up to 6 people comfortably, that includes a lovely leisure living area, to more intimate rooms with a king bed and a sofa; there is sure to be a room to fit your vacation or business trip needs. Welcome to Sugar Beach Resort Hotel where your search can end and your adventure can begin. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Orbitz and Hotwire so you can book your Sugar Beach Resort Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sugar Beach Hotel Traverse City
- Sugar Beach Traverse City