All reviewsgreat beachsister propertywafflescontinental breakfastbeachfront roomgrand beachindoor poolplenty of chairsbeach viewfirst floorfamily suiteevery morningground floorbeach chairsthe breakfast areaboiled eggsnice resort
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I stayed at the Sugar Beach hotel 4 nights while here for a conference. Another family attending the conference stayed two doors down from me and yet another family was next door. we all shared the same experience of having to call the front desk multiple times to complain about poor room service. Our rooms cost in the neighborhood of 300 dollars per night, yet the hotel was on the scale of other hotels I've paid 80 dollars a night for, or even less. the hotel is on the bayside of the beach in Traverse City, which is how they justify the price. The first night I got here, I checked in and ran up to the room to use the restroom only to find it had no toilet paper. I used Kleenex and called the front desk for the tp. in the morning I showered and used the toiletries provided and left for the day. Toiletry bottles were left tipped over and empty as I left them in the shower and on the counter, and new ones were not left to replace them. The next morning, dirty towels were taken, but no washclothes left for me. I had to use a hand towel as a wash cloth. My friends in the other two rooms began leaving sticky notes that we picked up from convention vendors all over their rooms to make sure things were cleaned or replaced as neede, as you couldn't take for granted they would be.

The beautiful bay view is spoiled by their neon yellow sign with huge block letters advertising some sort of water sports. Rooms have no closets, only a little cubby as part of a wardrobe/television unit. Three small drawers and some shelves complete your storage so don't plan on unpacking, especially if you have a family. On the plus side, rooms have a microwave and fridge. Room decor is supposed to be kind of beachy, but is cheap and tacky looking. The sliding glass door, which looks right over the water has only a heavy light blocking pull across drape, no shears to allow filtered light in. Breakfast is complimentary, which is nice if your kids want something right away before heading to the water. The beach was populated by a bunch of tame-ish mallards, which I enjoyed. Looks to me like there are quite a few lounge chairs. Last hour of pool time is reserved for adults.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank speechcreature
Reviewed July 12, 2012

When paying what we paid, we expected more than this: 1) 2 crappy bath towels that looked like tattered rags and 2 'decent' towels that were not absorbent at all; 2) loud mattress pad - sounded like a waterproof one; 3) bar soap that was too small and didn't lather; 4) carpeting needed vacuuming; 5) complimentary breakfast was a bust - the line was wrapped around the room, the room was hot, and there was no place to sit. So we walked across the street to Bob Evan's; 6) went down to the beach and there were no lounge chairs available (at 10:00am!); 7) not one extra roll of toilet paper (come on!). We are embarrassed that we recommended this hotel to another couple - their room was never cleaned, they had to hunt down a maid to get fresh towels and a roll of toilet paper, and they passed on the breakfast for the same reasons mentioned above. We've stayed here before but won't stay here again. There are plenty of other nicer hotels in T.C. to choose from! Not worth the money.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We just complete our second trip to this wonderful property, and we couldn't have been more pleased. Our family of four (2 teens) fit comfortably in the double queen room, which included a fridge, microwave, and coffee service. The room and bathroom were very modern, with a blue/green summer motif - really nice. The bathroom was large, with a lot of extra room in the sink area for all of our products. Perhaps the greatest thing about this room was the storage availability - a large, two-sided eteger which housed the television offered lots of space for all of our belongings, with room to spare. We were able to keep our room somewhat neat by stashing all of our things in this space - loved it. A complimentary breakfast in the dining area (with small balcony) provided a morning start - waffles, french toast, cereals, yogurt, granola, fruit, juices, and really good coffee with sturdy cups for transportation back to your room. Perhaps the most noticeable thing about this hotel is how super clean it was. Spotless. There are lots of friendly staff about, and this is likely a reason why. Someone is always tidying up. The room is SPOTLESS. That's why we keep coming here.

Now, the beach: wonderful!!! Super clean, pristine, very clear water, no rocks, no garbage. The bay doesn't start getting deep until way, way out...perfect for small kids. There is a trampoline out in the water for rental, as well as kayaks and parasailing opportunities. This year, we noticed new umbrellas on the beach, but we always bring our own...it can get hot!

The front lobby is large, with all-day coffee in the corner. There are lots of Traverse City brochures about, and the staff is knowledgeable about day trips and good restaurants in town. Pirates' Cove is right across the street; it's a dodge car, video game, mini-golf, rope walking thing. There's a Dairy Queen located in the middle of it. It's a nice evening activity. Also, there are video games and activities like that somewhere in the hotel facility, as well as a bright laundry area, and an indoor pool and jacuzzi.

Sugar Beach is a wonderful facility for families. It attracts a great crowd, and the hotel is not loud at night. They have another property right next door, the Grand Beach, which looks identical to the Sugar Beach. As far as restaurants, there is a Bob Evans and a Hooters withinwalking distance, but that's it. A gourmet grocery store with wine, upscale munchies, and cold snacks is a walkable distance down the road. The main TC shopping/restaurant area is 7-8 minutes down the road by car, and there is plenty of public parking.

We love the Sugar Beach Resort hotel, and will be going again next year. If you are looking for a nice hotel with lots of room for your family with a walk-out beach, this wonderful place is for you!!

PS...one small quibble: bring your own pillows!! Theirs are thin and skimpy...you'll be glad to bring your own. And that is the ONLY negative thing I can mention about this place!

Room Tip: 229 is the closest room to the dining area.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Mom2Nurse
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Only out of respect for tripadvisor will I elaborate.
1. The beach is simply wonderful. Great condition, plenty of complimentary lounge chairs and other seating, beautiful setting, clean water...loved it. On-site rentals include pontoons, speedboats, jetskis, kayaks, paddleboards, parasailing...too much to remember them all. My wife and I had never jetskied so we paid $50 for a half an hour. Felt like a lot to pay as I handed over the plastic, and maybe it was, but I'll tell you this: from the moment I hit the throttle to the time we brought it back, all we could think about was how much fun we were having and how beautiful the bay is.
2. The hotel room: My take on this is that you're paying for the location. We weren't expecting anything fancy and it certainly wasn't. But it was definitely adequate. No complaints. No need to even be in the room much anyway, but it has everything you need.
3. Free breakfast: great concept, good food, nice facility, but very crowded and could be set up more effectively by having separate stations. Instead it's just one huge chaotic line for everything. Expect to wait and deal with pushy people or really slow people. But again, they have the right idea. I walked out of there stuffed and only mildly agitated.
4. Location: the beach alone makes this a great place to stay, but you're right on the main drag. About 5 minutes west is where Munson splits into Front St. and M-22. Or jump on 8th Street to get downtown with much less traffic.

Restaurant suggestions: Trattoria Stella, Apache Trout Grille, Poppycock's, Brew, Firefly, North Peak, and for breakfast - Amical.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank jmacesq
Reviewed June 29, 2012

We stayed Junes 24 through June 29. The staff was great and very friendly. We loved having the beach right out the doors. The sand is just like sugar and the water is crystal clear but a little colder than what we are used to. It was great being able to wade out and have shallow water for quite a distance. Also the hotel provides lounge chairs and umbrellas for no rental fees on the beach. The hotel's pool and hot tub were clean and opened late which is great for families to take the kids swimming after dinner to wear them out. The breakfast the hotel offered was the best great array of fresh fruits, cereals, bagels, french toast, drinks, waffles & etc. We would eat at about 930 & the kids were so full most of the time they didn't want lunch. It had great restaurants & Pirate Cove (mini golf, zip line, go carts, bumper boats, & water slides) across the street although it is an extremely difficult street to cross. The Dune Climb (a most see & bring water) was about 40 minutes away. We will plan another getaway there. Thank You we had a great time!!!

Room Tip: No restaurant on site but several across street.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family