All reviewsgreat beachsister propertywafflescontinental breakfastbeachfront roomgrand beachindoor poolplenty of chairsbeach viewfirst floorfamily suiteevery morningboiled eggsground floorbeach chairsthe breakfast areanice resort
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Only out of respect for tripadvisor will I elaborate.
1. The beach is simply wonderful. Great condition, plenty of complimentary lounge chairs and other seating, beautiful setting, clean water...loved it. On-site rentals include pontoons, speedboats, jetskis, kayaks, paddleboards, parasailing...too much to remember them all. My wife and I had never jetskied so we paid $50 for a half an hour. Felt like a lot to pay as I handed over the plastic, and maybe it was, but I'll tell you this: from the moment I hit the throttle to the time we brought it back, all we could think about was how much fun we were having and how beautiful the bay is.
2. The hotel room: My take on this is that you're paying for the location. We weren't expecting anything fancy and it certainly wasn't. But it was definitely adequate. No complaints. No need to even be in the room much anyway, but it has everything you need.
3. Free breakfast: great concept, good food, nice facility, but very crowded and could be set up more effectively by having separate stations. Instead it's just one huge chaotic line for everything. Expect to wait and deal with pushy people or really slow people. But again, they have the right idea. I walked out of there stuffed and only mildly agitated.
4. Location: the beach alone makes this a great place to stay, but you're right on the main drag. About 5 minutes west is where Munson splits into Front St. and M-22. Or jump on 8th Street to get downtown with much less traffic.

Restaurant suggestions: Trattoria Stella, Apache Trout Grille, Poppycock's, Brew, Firefly, North Peak, and for breakfast - Amical.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank jmacesq
Reviewed June 29, 2012

We stayed Junes 24 through June 29. The staff was great and very friendly. We loved having the beach right out the doors. The sand is just like sugar and the water is crystal clear but a little colder than what we are used to. It was great being able to wade out and have shallow water for quite a distance. Also the hotel provides lounge chairs and umbrellas for no rental fees on the beach. The hotel's pool and hot tub were clean and opened late which is great for families to take the kids swimming after dinner to wear them out. The breakfast the hotel offered was the best great array of fresh fruits, cereals, bagels, french toast, drinks, waffles & etc. We would eat at about 930 & the kids were so full most of the time they didn't want lunch. It had great restaurants & Pirate Cove (mini golf, zip line, go carts, bumper boats, & water slides) across the street although it is an extremely difficult street to cross. The Dune Climb (a most see & bring water) was about 40 minutes away. We will plan another getaway there. Thank You we had a great time!!!

Room Tip: No restaurant on site but several across street.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank coleym03
Reviewed June 20, 2012

My fiancee and I stayed at the Sugar Beach Resort Hotel June 15th thru June 17th and had a great time. Our room (207) was very big, had a living room with flat screen television and pull out bed in the couch, a mini frig, microwave, coffee maker, and the bedroom area had a second television with a two person jet tub that was very nice.

Check in was a breeze as was check out.

The negatives: We checked in, got to our room (which faced the parking lot), changed, headed to the beach for a couple of hours, came back to the room to find a huge black puddle of sewer water in our sink. We called the front desk and the maintenance people were there within 3 minutes. Apparently the room above us had a backed up sink and when they fixed it, the sludge ended up in our sink. They fixed it right away, but the smell kind of lingered for several hours. All in all, not a big deal.

The breakfast buffet was pretty good. They had a nice selection of cereal, fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs, bagels, English muffins, French toast and Belgian waffles. They also had a nice selection of coffee, juice, milk, etc.

The beach is beautiful, and the water is very clear and shallow for a good 100 plus yards off of the shore, although the water is COLD this time of year.

I liked the location. We were close to downtown, there were several restaurants within walking distance (Red Mesa Grill, Ruby Tuesdays, Hooters, etc.).

The bed was fairly comfortable, but they could stand to replace the sheets and pillows. There is also some kind of plastic mattress protector which makes the bed really warm when laying on it.

All of the staff that we met were very pleasant.

The indoor pool area and game room was pretty nice. We used the pool 1 time during our stay. There is also a hot tub right next to the indoor pool.

There is an outfit on the beach that rents jet ski's. pontoon boats, kayaks, paddle boards, jet boats, and para sailing trips. We did the para sailing trip and had a blast!!

All in all, it is a nice resort and I would go back.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Spartan5
Reviewed June 19, 2012

You can smell that the room was not clean. They gave it a fast shuffle as far as cleaning goes. The sheets were awful. You know a good hotel by their sheets. Put your money into the sheets and maids that will clean a room well. I had to sleep with my sweats on and a beach towel we brought from home. Thank god I had my own pillow. Too bad because the decorating was very nice, all dusty but could be nice. I would never stay here again

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank vacationrealtor
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Recently stayed here for a wedding held locally. Stayed in a suite which had a living room, kitchenette with mini-fridge. Bedroom was 2 king size beds. If you are going for beach time- try to stay on the first floor as you will be able to walk right out on the beach and it's VERY convenient. The rooms I would say are basic, but clean and comfortable. Flat screen tv's and DVD's in all. Bathrooms look like they have been recently renovated with new tiles, etc. Tubs are slightly outdated but a minor detail. Breakfast in the morning is very nice- hot and cold items. Exercise room basic but does the job with bike, elliptical and treadmill, general weight machine. There is a billiards room adjacent to pool, and an arcade room which would be great for kids. I appreciated that they always have coffee, fresh fruit in the lobby. A computer with internet, printer so I was able to print out my boarding passes for flight home. Close to mini-golf, restaurants, downtown area. Overall nice hotel with newer furnishings, but not a "high-class" resort that you will see at the casinos, etc. Would recommend for families especially. Boating and parasailing business is located next door. Definitely a great beach, clean, shallow swimming area and was groomed every morning.

Room Tip: If you plan to enjoy the beach- try to stay on the first floor for easy access and avoid noisy traffic from the road.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family