“The Best Lake Perch & more”
Review of Scalawags

Scalawags
Ranked #62 of 299 Restaurants in Traverse City
Cuisines: Seafood
Chicago, Illinois
“The Best Lake Perch & more”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I had to try Scalawags after reading all the positive reviews. Easy to find and park. You walk up to the counter and order, simple, I knew the 1/2 lbs of lake perch is what I craved. Having tried lake perch at many restaurants all over the great lakes area, this is the BEST. Perfect light batter, a simple tartar sauce to compliment the fish, not hide the taste. French fries, tasty and fresh.
I was great!. The owner/cook was friendly, and I told him that the perch was the best I ever ate. He was very appreciative, and showed me the raw fish. Very cool. The price is average.
I think I may go back tomorrow for more fish.
Make this a stop, if you're in town.

• Visited October 2012

Belleville, Michigan
“Good whitefish”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Food is good and fairly priced. Great for when you want a quick fish fix. Clean restaurant and convenient location.

• Visited August 2012
Ann Arbor, MI
“Amazing fish”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

If you love whitefish, you must stop here. Great fresh seafood, cooked perfectly. Tad on the expensive side, but I thought it was worth it.

Visited August 2012
Boston
“Good value for local fare”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Traverse City is a real mecca for foodies, and in this context Scalawags may seem somewhat down-to-earth. However, if you can't get a reservation at the fancier places, or have a sizeable family with you, or just want to sample some of the Great Lake fish, this is a great place to have a dose of whitefish or walleye, deep-fried or even better, grilled. Well seasoned and accompanied by good standard fare of a couple of hushpuppies, fries & coleslaw, it's a relaxing atmosphere, fun decor, no reservations needed and open every day. Totally casual, great for families.

• Visited August 2012
Santa Barbara, California
“Yummy whitefish”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I really liked my food when I went there, which is strange because I usually don't like fried fish. Definitely a good place for food for a great price. I had the whitefish, it was yummy. I would recommend if you like seafood.. The interior is a little over-the-top, but the fishermen/women I was with seemed to like it so I guess if you are into that sort of thing, it's hip.

Visited June 2012