“Woa! Look out for Tasting Room Manager”

Chateau Chantal Winery & Tasting Room
More attraction details
Owner description: Chateau Chantal is a unique development that combines a winery, vineyards, bed and breakfast, residence, six private home sites, and winding roads, all of which combine to create an experience in Northern Hospitality. The 65 acre site sits high atop a ridge 12 miles north of Traverse City, Michigan on the beautiful and historic Old Mission Peninsula. Chateau Chantal crafts many styles of wine, allowing the grape to dictate the style. The location’s unparalleled views and outstanding staff play host to B&B activities, cooking classes, wine education opportunities, Tapas Tours, conferences and meetings, small weddings, and friendly regional wine events.
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Woa! Look out for Tasting Room Manager”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

A recent trip to the wine tasting room at Chateau Chantal was an experience not to forget. Bill, who we later found out was the tasting room manager, provided the most bizzare experience I have ever had wine tasting. He was extremely intense from the beginning. My friend and I asked a couple of questions about the wine tasting list, and he became extremely aggitated. We have both done a lot of wine tasting in different parts of the country, and our questions were not out of line. We asked what wines they were known for at this winery and what the group of wines classified as reserves meant. He nearly came across the counter at us and stated, "I detect we have a problem here. What seems to be wrong with you?" We concluded that we would sample the remainder of the tastes that we had paid for and quickly leave. The couple next to us was totally ignored, and at one point, Bill actually left the tasting room.

I can empathize with any problems Bill has, but he should not be hired to act in this position.

A trip down the peninsula and a comment to another winery server confirmed that this isn't the first time that individual has heard this story.

On top of that, the wines weren't that great.

Visited May 2013
mcdalese, Manager at Chateau Chantal Winery & Tasting Room, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thank you for your patience in our response. Our management team has been working on this issue, and would like to offer an apology on behalf of all of us.

Bill has offered, in his own words, this letter:

I regret, very much, being deemed responsible for anything less than an inspiring experience at Chateau Chantal. I clearly remember your visit, being that it honestly qualifies as a great exception to my rule (of hospitality).

I am sincerely sorry for the uniquely unpleasant manner in which you were treated. I offer only as an explanation, not an excuse, the fact that I felt much more harried than usual, due to the combination of a newly implemented tasting program and a veritable rush of patrons, as applied during your time at our tasting bar.

I am in no way intending to justify my behavior. I merely mean to humbly suggest that you encountered me during uncommon circumstances. For having not maintained a more courteous, professional demeanor, I hereby offer you my heartfelt apology.
I have, for all my days, deemed myself to be a very amiable person…qualifying, therefore, as well suited to the job I’ve had for nearly 10 years. I truly understand how and why you would disagree with such a notion. It is my ardent wish that you’re able & willing to receive this entreaty and, thusly, be inspired to allow me, and, especially, Chateau Chantal, to be remembered more favorably.

Bill Autenreith, Tasting Room Manager

Fort Worth, TX
160 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 165 helpful votes
“Great location, scenery, ambiance!”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Great location with spectacular views from the tasting room! Excellent locally produced wines, and superb waitstaff in the tasting room...the wines are reasonably priced, and overall, a great tasting experience!!!

Visited August 2012
Fort Wayne, Indiana
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Chantal View only”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

This high priced winery has a great view, but the customer service provided by those that talk with you about their wines is almost non-existent...they simply only care about pouring wines and getting you out of there....sad, very sad....we will not go back

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Billwho46
mcdalese, Public Relations Manager at Chateau Chantal Winery & Tasting Room, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Hello,
Our sincere apologies that our service was not performing on the day of your visit, I'm very upset to hear this was what you experienced. We do strive to attain a positive staff that is typically very engaging with our guests.
Apologies from the entire staff,
Marie-Chantal Dalese
Elgin
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Wonderful Setting”
Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

This winery should not be missed, from the tasting room you can see the water on booths sides of the peninsula. The wine was good and we enjoyed a full glass with a cheese place in a cozy seating area.

Visited April 2013
Clio, Michigan
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Gorgeous view and great wine”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

My sister and I were looking for something to do while we were in the area and ended up taking the drive on to the Old Mission Lighthouse. We stopped a couple different wineries, but this was by far my favorite. It is so beautiful and the staff is very friendly and knowledgeable. The views from the winery are spectacular. I told my husband about it also being a B&B and sometime we are going to try staying there.

Visited April 2013