“Gone very far downhill”

The Beach Condominiums Hotel - Resort
Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

We have made The Beach our place of choice to stay whenever we are up in Traverse City. After this past stay I can say for sure we will never be back. We checked in on a Wednesday into 2 adjoining units. The first unit we walked into smelled strongly like cigarette smoke. We swapped rooms with our traveling companion and that is where it got even worse. As we walked around the unit it became clear that the place had not been sufficiently cleaned. There was still toothpaste in the sink from the previous guest along with hair all over the floor and actually on the sheets as well. I went back to the office and expressed my concerns to Amanda (working the front desk) and the manager Pat. They got on the phone to try and contact their housekeeping supervisor and Pat advised me that "the girl cleaning that unit quit in the middle of the day and he thought the supervisor went over the unit. Clearly not. He then sent poor Amanda up to our unit to address our issues. Amanda and Karen were very apologetic about the condition of the unit and were equally appaled at the way it was left. They both worked hard to make sure the room was up to standards...then the housekeeping supervisor showed up. Ive never been treated so poorly by a staff member of a hospitality establishment as i was by this woman. She came in and asked "whats the problem with the bathroom" and she wasnt even in the right unit, she was in the adjoining one that smelled like smoke (to which she answered, I don't smoke in here...well I would hope not!). Karen had to actually ask her to leave because her poor attitude was unacceptable.
I'm not sure how this place can advertise "in room hot tubs" anymore since they are merely jacuzzi tubs and they are disgusting at this point. The units are in desperate need of upgrading. Our unit was missing several blinds to the doorwall and I'm pretty sure the widowsills have never been wiped down. The manager offered us absolutely nothing but an insincere apology for our inconvenience. I would suggest that he completes walk throughs on each unit at some point because he looked baffled when I also asked him for their wifi password which was supposed to posted somewhere in the unit (it wasn't). Oh and the wifi is a joke. The only place the signal didn't drop you every 30 seconds was the bathroom. Get with it Beach! There is way too much competition for you in TC to not care about your guests.

• Stayed: July 2012
7  Thank michigan2711

Reviewed June 14, 2012

The condo we stayed in, #329, was beautifully furnished and clean. The beach and views were amazing. The staff was VERY helpful with suggesting restaurants and giving us directions to local attractions. The only downfall is that the downtown area is a little further than we expected to bike from here. It is however, only a short drive. Would not sway us from staying here again. In fact, already planning the next trip :)

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lisa6005
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Found condo online. When I called they would not give me advertised rate. I referred them to web page, no luck. Made reservation anyways. Room had filthy carpet and bad small. Advertised in room spa was useless due to small hot water heater in unit. Couldn't get enough hot water to use the spa! Advertised wifi did not have a strong enough signal to allow Internet access. There is no one at desk from early evening until mid morning. Definitely Not worth the money. Needs renovation and updating.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank lizzie4866
Reviewed September 20, 2011

We go to the Beach Condos every year as a family, and have done so for 20+ years.
Each year, the Beach is a place for our family to relax, get some sunshine, and enjoy activities. However, each year the accommodations and furnishings remain the same. I think we overpay for the quality of the place we get. For example, the curtains are venetian blinds. Some of the blinds are broken in the bedroom, and people can literally see in while we change to go to the pool. The beds are so soft we wake up every year with sore backs and necks. The doors stick while opening and closing the bathroom. This has been a problem that we have noticed for at least 8+ years - you would think they could do something about it? The air conditioning unit is super loud.

The pool itself is ancient. I believe they are updating it now, but it has needed an update for at least 15 years! There is no Wi-Fi, which is almost something I expect now at every place we go. There is no fitness room, which is a problem for people who enjoy getting a morning workout while on vacation.

This place is "nothing fancy."

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Juneaux1212
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Upon notifying management of our infestation, a person arrived w/ a sweeper(no management came). I went down to the office & insisted day manager come up. Very ho-hum about & said the bugs have a short lifespan. We told to keep all the lights off at night so they
wouldn't return! We were not reimbursed any $ and they would not let us change units even though one was open. We were repeat
customers but that didn't matter.
The place has been let go and not the quality it was last year...too many things to list. We will NEVER return!

• Stayed: July 2011
4  Thank ZZcrizz
Reviewed June 8, 2011

Sadly, I can't really review this hotel. I went to book a room yesterday for a weekend in August, but the only availability they had was to switch rooms after one night. I thought, well, that's not so bad, especially for a popular place and I'm booking quite late in the year. Then I find out they want to CHARGE ME for this!!! $25 for a room change fee! I don't think so! If anything, in this type of situation, hotels should be offering customer service by knocking off $25 for the inconvenience. I was so appalled!

Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Crystal_in_Michigan
Reviewed June 4, 2011

We stayed here over Memorial Day weekend. The condo we stayed in was unit 328. The condo was nice but needed some touch ups throughout. Nice balcony overlooking the Bay. May stay agaon next summer but there are other condos in the same vicinity that we may check out instead. Nice location though to restaurants, shopping & activities. One last thing, the condos are a little expensive but can sleep up to 4 people. Plus with a full kitchen that is a bonus.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family