“Different for us, middle east style.”

Zakey Middle Eastern Cuisine
Ranked #174 of 316 Restaurants in Traverse City
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Description: Zakey was created by Nabiel Musleh; born and raised in Ammam, Jordan. Zakey is a combination of Jordanian family cuisine with a cultural atmosphere.
Reviewed May 13, 2014

The place was cute and inviting. Our waitress Rebecca was very nice. We both got the daily special, lamb, cumbers salad and fries. We ordered a special hot tea, it was lemony and we drank out of little cups. It was great experience and would go back again. Our lunch was around $7.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

My son and I stopped by Zakey's hoping for a great middle east lunchtime experience. Unfortunately that didn't happen.

We experienced very small portions vs. what we usually get at Mideast restaurants in the Detroit area. The lemon/lentil soup was very watery, and was made with potatoes (?) w/ no lentils to be found.
The lamb shawarma wraps had little (was it lamb?) unseasoned meat, and was a very small potion, which probably was a blessing.

Seasoning was minimal, and we will not be returning. I've worked with and dined with Mideast folks, and this this not anything at all authentic. I understand that food menus change about the various Mideast countries, but they need to kick this up the flavor big time to stay in business.

Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

A friend referred us to this place. We were excited to try it.

So, my husband, who is Lebanese, asks the waitress if they have a certain dish that he enjoyed as a child. She says she's never heard if it because they only serve Middle Eastern food. He says the dish is Lebanese. She continues to school him on the fact that Lebanese and middle eastern food are two completely different things and two different parts if the world. Ok, whatever. She's just the waitress. Just thought it was funny.

Anyway, my husband orders a lamb dish with rice and I order the chicken shawarma platter. His food was not even edible. I was starving, and although my chicken and rice looked about 17 days old, I ate it anyway.
Huge, huge, huge mistake! Les than an hour later, I began having stomached cramps and ended up in the bathroom all night. I couldn't eat anything for over a week with ought ending up in the bathroom.
I was not going to leave a review at all, however, after what their food put me through I thought it would be cruel not to earn others.

To be fair, the grilled pita bread was tasty and the salad was fresh.

6  Thank BridjetT
Reviewed December 25, 2013

Great Food, Good people, awesome variety. We had one server who was not up to par with the rest but have not seen her since our first visit. We go once a week and split 2 combination platters. I would recommend to every and any one looking for a good night out with out breaking the bank.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Stopped into this spot for lunch on a visit to my brother's in Traverse City. The food was good and is incredibly well-priced. I am a huge fan of baba ghanouj and lamb and ordered both. The baba ghanouh was good but the lamb was a little tough. While both weren't great, they were definitely better than I expected for such an affordable price. My brother and his girlfriend are both vegetarians and loved their wraps and will probably frequent this place regularly!

Overall, a good spot for lunch with attentive service and a good selection of dishes.