“Low quality...Bad Experince”

Zakey Middle Eastern Cuisine
Ranked #147 of 304 Restaurants in Traverse City
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Description: Zakey was created by Nabiel Musleh; born and raised in Ammam, Jordan. Zakey is a combination of Jordanian family cuisine with a cultural atmosphere.
Lansing
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Low quality...Bad Experince”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Should not call Mediterranean restaurant. Worse Mediterranean food/ restaurant I ever had. The quality is low. They mix small samples all in one plate. They get mixed up. The Juice of the salad get over the hummos, hommos over what they called shawarma "in fact is only few pieces of chicken", the chicken is mixed with the rice....
The price for the food is expensive. They charge us 14.99 for Shawerma platter. But, got NO shawarma.
The Falafel is a nightmare. They do make the balls by hand!!!! In addition, Falafel Sandwich is worst I ever had.
NOT recommended.
Instead of wasting your time, wait for the first trip to Detroit/Dearborn and try the food there (AlAmeer, Hamodeh,Al Arz,...).

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Mo A

Jenison, MI
“Great food and Service”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I met friends here and we enjoyed the gyro special where all of the ingredients circle'd french fries (a little strange for me - had 1-2 and were fine, just not what I expected) on the plate and came with Naan as a wrap if you chose. I ordered the garlic dip with pita and it was awesome - we all enjoyed it, even the garbanzo beans sprinkled around it. The lamb was served in chunky pieces as opposed to the sliced I was familiar with but it was very good and I just cut it finer. We all ordered the same thing and we we all very happy with it. My friends had the baklava and really enjoyed it. We definitely have it on your return trip and planned for the belly dancer - on Tuesday's.

While the restaurant was clean it looked old and worn and could use some updating.

• Visited September 2013
Pearl City, Hawaii
“Undercooked falafel”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I was in Zakey's back in June with a co-worker on the way back from a conference in Northern Michigan. My co-worker ordered a falafel salad and I had an Arabic tea. While the tea was good, my co-worker had to send the falafel back as it was undercooked and not edible/lacked flavor. The owner explained that the lack of flavor was due the fault of the manufacturer in Detroit and gave my co-worker another order for free. Sadly, the second order came out undercooked as well, so we left after I had finished my tea. This was my first time at Zakey's, but my co-worker had visited there a few times before and generally had great experiences. While I don't foresee myself returning to Traverse City anytime soon, should I do so I wouldn't be inclined to go out of my way to eat at Zakey's.

• Visited June 2013
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Worst middle restaurant ever!”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I am a big fan of middle eastern food but by far, this is the worst middle eastern place i've ever been to. The staff were not friendly at all, I felt they were telling us not to come again, it took for ever to get your order ready, and prices are not reasonable at all. The place is not clean and sketchy.
In conclusion: this place DOES NOT represent middle eastern food or culture at all.

This is my experience, you may experience some thing else!

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank Ammar A
East Lansing, Michigan
“Better than its rating on yelp”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We missed the belly dancer on the day we came. Bummer!
The waitress was super-friendly. She gave our toddler fruit right away, which was so nice! She gave us a little extra baklava at the end of our meal too.
The food was freshly made & delicious. We got some schwarma wraps (chicken), dolmas, & mazzah plate. All the food was amazing.
This restaurant gets 3.5 stars out of 5 on yelp.com, which we thought was such a shame. One reviewer on yelp explained that perhaps some of the reviewers were accustomed to getting Middle Eastern food in Dearborn.

Visited July 2013