New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Courtyard Traverse City

Courtyard Traverse City
Ranked #17 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Exceptional Hotel and Staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

As a Platinum Level Marriott member, I have to say, this is one of the best operated Marriott branded hotels I have ever stayed in.

I stayed here on business and upon check-in, the staff was very friendly, not just in the cordial meeting-a-guest type of greeting, but they seemed genuinely friendly and accommodating. This is very refreshing when one travels a lot and to have a friendly smiling person greeting you after a long day is worth the stay.

The "living room" area is very comfortable and has a nice warm homey feeling. The business area is great! You can grab a snack and watch the evening news on your own personal TV while catching up on e-mails.

The rooms are very clean and comfortable.

The Marriott Spirit To Serve was very evident with the morning manager... I am from the South and not used to snow. When I went out to my car the next morning, 8" of snow had fallen the night before. The manager was outside at 6:30am sweeping snow from vehicles. He saw the amused look on face about the snow that had fallen and came over and brushed all the snow off my car without asking! All I can say is WOW! Where else will you find a manager willing to do that??

Great experience at the Courtyard for a weary traveler!!

Room Tip: All rooms seemed to be in a good location.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank RemitnceMn18
Bryan M, General Manager at Courtyard Traverse City, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay and comments. I am glad you found your accomodations clean and comfortable. I am very proud of our staff. I hire for attitude instead of experience. I can teach people how to use the computer or clean a room but I can not teach people how to be outgoing and caring. That is why his hotel is always one of the top Courtyards in the area of guest satisfaction. Now that we are in mid March we only have another 4-6 weeks of snow. I love the stuff ( in January) but I have had enough, come on spring! We hope to see you again soon. Bryan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Columbus, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here before and it has gotten better. Very friendly staff, clean, quiet and affordable. New remodel has mad it even better. In T C you have to be aware that prices go up with the many and various events also you had better plan ahead for available rooms.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Sterling Heights, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I enjoy this hotel, they have remodeled in the past few years and it's very posh feeling without having to pay for fancy. It's over by the mall and has plenty of places to eat close by. It's not close to downtown, so if you're hoping to walk the main street, shop and see the lake, you'll have to drive. The rooms are clean, spacious, tastefully decorated, and have free WiFi. The front desk staff have always been friendly, even when I've been a late night arrival.

The only downside for me, is that they don't have a free breakfast anymore. There is a Bistro where you can purchase hot breakfast items and other quick food. It's a little expensive. I think I paid $5 for oatmeal with fruit toppings. There is free coffee and tea around the corner from the cafe if you just want a quick cup of something hot. With that said, I will stay here next time I'm in town.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Slipsa
Hudsonville, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

The hotel was very nice and modern! It looks like it has recently been updated and the rooms were very nice! Love that it had a Starbucks in the hotel. It was also close to many attractions and not to far away at all from downtown Traverse City. Would absolutely stay again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Bryan M, General Manager at Courtyard Traverse City, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Hello and thanks for staying with us. I am glad you liked our hotel. The Starbucks in the lobby is a nice feature. We have many local people stopping in the morning just to get a quick cup to go. We hope to see you again soon.

Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We just got back from Traverse City and stayed over a nite at the Courtyard by Marriot. We were very pleased with our choice. The room was clean and spacious with a balcony. Actually noticed the artwork in the room this time. We didn't use either but I believe there was a fridge and a safe included.

The hotel has a small workout area and a pool. My only criticism was the moldings in the pool area could use a touch up but other than that it was clean. Outside the pool area there was a small courtyard but being November we did not utilize this area. The lobby was decorated with contempary furnishings and also included a small store that also sold beer and local wines. I am not a big fan of the area wines and couldn't even finish my glass of red that we had purchased. The lobby shares its seating with the Bistro Restaurant at the other end. The Bistro menu was impressive as it had many healthy alternatives and served fresh fruit, a nice touch. It also serves Starbucks coffee and teas.

The location of this hotel is perfect for shopping as it is just across the street from Best Buy and Kohl's and the Grand Traverse Mall are close by. Just keep in mind, Traverse City is not the best place for street and direction signs, so bring a map to get your bearings.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for your recent stay. You are right we are in a prime location for shopping. We are very busy for back to school and holiday shopping. We had lots of fun with our Black Friday Shoppers last night and today. People coming and going all night, bags in hand. The Starbuck coffee machine was working overtime. We hope to see you again soon.

Saginaw, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Very well managed property that is just outside of town, but an easy drive to all Traverse City has to offer. They did allow early check in even during a very busy event. The restaurant offers a diverse menu and cocktails, plus good breakfast options.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
Bryan M, General Manager at Courtyard Traverse City, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Thank you for staying with us. I am glad you are so pleased. We hope to welcome you again soon. Bryan
Grand Haven, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed here this past weekend for a wine event in Leelanau Peninsula and the accomodations were wonderful. Bed was so comfortable. Best nights sleep in a hotel ever. Very quiet. Very clean. All staff encountered were very friendly and helpful. This was the not the first time we have stayed at this hotel and will continue to stay here. Always have great accomodations with no surprises. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Bryan M, General Manager at Courtyard Traverse City, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Hello and thank you for staying with us again. I will share your kind words with our staff.
Just to do a little bragging, our hotel is current ranked #48 out of 835 Courtyard hotels in Overall Guest Satisfaction for 2012. It is our goal to be in the top 25 at year end.

We hope you stay with us again soon.