“No shortening...really?”

Simply Cupcakes of Traverse City
Good for: Special occasions
Description: Fresh homemade cupcakes daily made from 100% scratch every batch. Free coffee with purchase. 15% Senior discount everyday. Active duty military 2 for 1 everyday. Simply Cupcakes is Traverse City's only homegrown cupcakery. Every visit is fun!
“No shortening...really?”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

They say there's no shortening in the frosting, and I guess I have to believe them, but given how it tastes I can't see what they're doing to get such an icky taste out of good ingredients. Quite disappointing. Have tried their cupcakes three times, and all six flavors we tried were, I'm sorry, substandard. Dry or bland cake and frankly the worst frosting I've ever tasted. Would like to see them succeed in town, but they're going to need to make several improvements before I (and a bunch of people I know) will return. There are better options in TC.

• Visited June 2013

“Simply Good!”
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

Since I seem to have a cupcake addiction, I had to pull the family in for a taste! Not too shabby! It was fairly light and fluffy with a mild frosting flavor. I had the Raspberry Waltz. Daughters' had Red Velvet and Chocolate Candy Cane. Prices were average compared to normal cupcakes. Employee overcharged us but we caught mistake as we were eating inside. Atmosphere was very plain and simple. Overall, a good piece of cake!

• Visited December 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Good, not great.”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We were disappointed with the selection compared to what is on the website. Granted it was November but there were quite a few people out shopping. I tried the lemon and the peanut butter cupcakes. The frosting on the lemon one tasted weird but the cupcake part was good. The peanut butter one was also good. I guess I just expected more.

• Visited November 2013
Saugatuck, Michigan
“Nah...”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Nasty crisco fluffy tasteless frosting atop a tough cake. No flavor. Sorry but real ingredients taste better.

Visited November 2013
Dave M, Owner at Simply Cupcakes of Traverse City, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
We sincerely apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Our frosting (Italian meringue buttercream) contains only sweet cream butter, fresh egg whites, simple syrup (hot melted sugar) and a touch of Mexican vanilla. None of our products contain Crisco/shortening. Never have. Never will. Hope you give us another try someday.
michigan
“Hurry while they last”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

These cupcakes are delicious but when they run out for the day-its a wrap. You have to come back bright and early the next day. Slim pickings. Not all the cupcakes on the website are available. a lot are seasonal. but worth the stop. We go every time. We buy many to share and have gotten no complaints.

• Visited August 2013