“OK, not great”

Slabtown Cafe and Burgers
Ranked #4 of 298 Restaurants in Traverse City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Dining on a budget, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Traverse City, Michigan
“OK, not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

The burgers are OK and soups are good. Like that they serve locally made soda. But we probably won't be returning to Slabtown. The reason is that the last 3-4 times the fries were awful - soggy with grease and not cooked properly. Maybe they need to keep the oil hotter or something. A decent burger isn't worth it if the fries are soft, soggy and inedible, so we probably won't go back.

• Visited August 2013

Marinette
“Hamburgers done right”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

This place specializes in all kinds of sandwiches and unique hamburgers. They also feature local flavors of soda. Your meal is served in a lunch sack adding to the folksy feel. Very friendly wait staff.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank 151Kat
Indiana, USA
“Nice burger joint in old house”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

Very good burgers. Seems to be a busy bunch of people. Inside very bustling and loud while we were there. We ate outside, next to house, away from street. Great little corner to be tucked in. Relaxing. The outdoor table we used was a grate/grill. So, spills drip through onto your lap and shoes when you are not careful.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank JSVTR
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“I could have eaten two”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

After reading all the good reviews of this place, I made it a point to stop in when I was in town. I ordered a regular burger with fries and a drink. They have a pretty wide menu with lots of different types of burgers, but I wanted to try a regular burger before trying a specialty.

They're ordering system is a bit strange. They write the order on a paper bag, which turns out to be the bag your food comes in. It's efficient, but if you pay cash, where's your receipt? You have a choice of things on your burger and although I didn't order any, I suspect you'll be charged extra for some items, like tomato. They ask for your name and write it on the bag (like a grade school lunch bag).

I was a bit taken aback by the overall price of $7.50 for my burger/fries/drink. I've paid more at fast food places. There was a guy cooking in plain view of the counter and occasionally he would shout that an order was up. I was wondering if he would shout out orders by name, but he didn't.

They told me I could sit down and they'd bring it to me. Timing was fine. It didn't take very long at all. The service was fine. They were even good enough to realize that I was ready to order and the people in front of me were in the process of a multiple ticket, so they opened another register for me to order. All the condiments you need are on the table. You won't have to go looking for it at some condiment bar. When I was finished they were very prompt to come and remove my trash.

The burger was small. I was underwhelmed as soon as I pulled it out of the bag. I immediately thought I should have ordered two and that this is why it cost so little. It tasted fine. I wouldn't say it was special, but it was a good burger. The fries are natural cut (skin) and were just average, but there are a lot. I wondered if there were so many fries because the burger was small. The soda is some local brand, not the Coke/Pepsi products that you expect. I prefer smaller brands, so that worked for me.

Food was ok, service was good, price was excellent. There are a lot of other places to go in Traverse City, so I would go back to this place only after trying others in the area.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Rick W
Traverse City, Michigan
“GREAT burgers, fries not so much!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

We love their burgers--all types and made fresh daily. But every other time we get fries here they are soggy. I think they need to rethink putting them in a paper bag--not consistent. Otherwise a good burger at a good price. I still prefer J & S on Front Street in Traverse City--better burgers, best fries and rings!

Visited August 2013