“More than just a good burger” 4 of 5 bubbles

Slabtown Cafe and Burgers
Ranked #4 of 295 Restaurants in Traverse City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Traverse City, Michigan
“More than just a good burger”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

Tucked in a neighborhood setting several blocks west of downtown, Slabtown provides visitors terrific burgers along with great soups and fresh-cut fries.

But just having a good burger is one thing. Offering different *types* of burgers, with interesting toppings, combinations and options is something else. And it is here that Slabtown becomes so irrestible. Instead of thinking, "well I just had a burger early this week, I'm in the mood for something else," you end up wondering what might be on the ever-changing menu on your next visit.

You order at the counter, try to find a place to sit in the myriad of wooden tables (which can be a challenge is the place is really busy), and the food is brought out to you. Soups are self-serve from different pots to the left of the order counter--this can pose a bit of a logistical challenge as this means fording through the rest of the customers waiting to place their order. But folks are usually genial enough to let you pass through without difficulty.

Slabtown is more than worth the effort to find. A great, basic addition to the great TC casual culinary lineup.

• Visited July 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Thompsonville, Michigan
“Quaint burger joint off the beaten path”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2011

We had gone for a nice spring stroll on the waterfront and were hungry for dinner. As it was getting late on a Friday night we knew we’d hit waits in most traditional restaurants so we were just going to go home. We were driving through the Slabtown Neighborhood and drove by this place at which I exclaimed STOP!! as I had heard some good buzz.

We went inside and were greeted with a cute interior. You felt like you were in somebody’s kitchen. It is a ‘go up an order’ sort of place. The menu was written on chalk boards in several different locations. Just when I thought I figured out what I wanted, I realized there is another menu board behind me.

We ordered two ‘combos’ and two non-combo’d burgers figuring we’d share the fries with the kids. Next time we’ll all get our own combos. The fries are excellent and they aren’t as big of portions as you’d get at McDonald’s for example. I didn’t want to share them!!

All of the burgers were cooked perfectly with excellent flavor. All were delivered as ordered like my son’s cheeseburger with no onions, no mustard. The soda pop was from a local soda company and was great! They were all fountain-style so we tried different flavors when going up for our refills.

They closed early on a Friday night (8 PM) but it was spring and they said longer hours would be starting soon. They didn’t rush us out at all and let us enjoy our meal.

Staff was all friendly and even refrained from cleaning up the dining area until we were packing up to leave. We will definitely seek this place out again. It would be perfect for grabbing a sack of burgers to take to the bay! Definitely seek this place out!

• Visited April 2011
Bellaire MI
“Best fresh-cut french fries anywhere!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2011

Great burgers and sandwiches, homemade soups, good sides, too. But the fresh-cut french fries are likely the best you will ever eat! Can't remember better anywhere in my 58 years. Nice old house in a nice old neighborhood. Also outside seating - great spot on a cool day on the south-facing front porch overlooking the street.

• Visited September 2010