“Good Food - Not so Good Service”
Review of Union Tap and Grill - CLOSED

Union Tap and Grill
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 1, 2014

Went with friends for lunch; we were the only ones sitting at the outdoor patio. Restaurant was busy inside which is no doubt the reason for the slow service. But the food (when it finally arrived) was good...nothing outstanding, but good. I had the chicken fajita, my friends had the tacos and tamales.

1  Thank Marymoo55

Reviewed July 18, 2014

Well, how to start? How about with the free chips and salsa brought to our table to start the meal? My dining buddy traveled a lot in California (as well as other places) and has eaten LOTS of Mexican cuisine in his time. He says in retrospect, about our meal, that we should have left when they served the salsa. Too sweet and too "Italian" sauce- tasting. May or not be "home-made" but tasted too processed.
Chips were good, though!
Next came our entrees: I ordered a chimichanga prepared with shredded pork (thought this might be a tasty twist - and was recommended by our very helpful, nice waiter). My accompanying beans and rice were both nearly cold; the beans were a hardened lump on the plate. The "chimi" was large, with a nice enough sauce over the top -- BUT I was dismayed to find it PACKED FULL of various types of sliced peppers. Green, yellow, red - they just dominated the chimi in every bite. I never had a chimi prepared like this - I have to ask, WHAT is the chef thinking? Maybe they feel this is a way of making it more "healthy"? I am not a big fan of pepper, so began trying to sort it out before taking each bite. Ended up with a big pile of it on my plate. Ugh!
My buddy didn't fare much better with his enchiladas order - he gave it a fair shot, too, ordering 3 different flavors. Not enjoying the sauce served over them, he didn't care for his meal. And his sides of rice and beans were also not served "hot".
We felt we would not return - too many excellent restaurants in TC...and even though this is not on the higher end of the price spectrum, just not worthwhile.
Usually I like to eat somewhere a couple times at least before reviewing but it's not likely to happen here. In fairness, on a positive note, the interior is attractive - love the exposed brick walls, and general ambience. Our waiter was very good, too. Parking and accessibility typical for downtown TC. Prices are moderate.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

Great place, the only negative is the seats for the bar have no backs, not a great place to sit for awhile. The food was good, had a skinny girl martini, didn't care for it. The Jalapeno Poppers were wonderful, and chips were good, if you want extra salsa you have to pay for it. (Mexican----Really)!!

Reviewed July 3, 2014

The food was average, the margarita was not drinkable but the service was amazing. Brittany was our server and she was fast, efficient and willing to do whatever it took to make us happy.

1  Thank Theresa N
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I like their food, but the menu is pricey and the portions (given Mexican) is very small. It is almost served as a "small plate" type entrée. They do have happy hour and some nice options for munching while partaking in a cocktail. We ate lunch here and our lunch was $25 without alcoholic cocktails. Too pricey for lunch....won't go back as the food was just average. I did like the chips and salsa that they serve as you sit down but if you want more chips and salsa to munch--they charge for the second batch--that is just cheesy! Better dining options in downtown....

1  Thank diamondbabydoll