“Spirited Spirits!”

Grand Traverse Distillery
Ranked #12 of 116 things to do in Traverse City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Grand Traverse Distillery is Michigan's oldest craft distillery and we are family owned. We use 100% locally grown corn, wheat and rye to distill our award winning spirits which include the True North Vodkas [Rye, Wheat, Cherry, Chocolate & Chipotle], Gin, Rum and our Whiskies [Ole George 100% Rye, Bourbon, as well as many small batch specialty ones]. We also offer 100 Proof Michigan White Dog Whiskey We have 5 Tasting Rooms located throughout the state in Traverse City, Frankenmuth, Leland,Grand Rapids and Ann Arbor so you can stop by and have the Grand Traverse Distillery experience and enjoy tastings and cocktails. We also have joint Tasting Rooms with Black Star Farms Winery where you will find both of our products and be able to taste and have a cocktail. Our Main Distillery Tasting Room is open Monday through Saturday 11-a.m. to 5:30-p.m and is closed Sundays. We offer tours 6 days a week at 1:00 pm & 3:00 pm from May 1 through August 31. October 1 through April 30 tours are offered only on Fridays and Saturdays. Cheers, Kent Rabish!
Reviewed August 20, 2012

A huge thank you to both Landis and Rene (sp?).

Thank you both for the information and attention. First off - woohoo, the barrel and bottles made it back to WA State in perfect condition and I've started preping for my first batch (so excited!!!)

I wanted to post an early review because I really enjoyed how enthusiastic you were and we really enjoyed the personal tour. You can tell that Landis not only enjoys his work but is appreciative and proud of his family heritage. It is fun to hear a bit more than just 'how the distillery works' with the motivation and excellence in building the brand.

Thanks again for the depth of knowledge, advice, and enthusiasm!

1  Thank cctkMiller
Kent R, Owner at Grand Traverse Distillery, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2012

Thanks for coming in and I will pass your Thanks on to Landis and Renee! Please keep us updated on your whiskey barrel and how the project is coming along. Thanks for coming to see us and for your support! Kent

Reviewed August 18, 2012

We visited the tasting room and took a tour of the distillery. The staff was very nice but not very knowledgable. The whiskey and vodkas were all very good. The tour was interesting but we were disappointed because our tour guide did not know much about the distillation process.

Kent R, Manager at Grand Traverse Distillery, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2012

Thanks for coming in to visit with us. I am sorry about your tour, we were short handed and one of our staff members who is not a distiller tried to help us out by giving a tour. As we are very small if something happens and one of our staff members can't come in it does leave a hole in our coverage. Cheers Kent

Reviewed August 14, 2012

I don't rate the distillery as hard to find lightly. City/township ordinances govern the size of signs. Theirs got lost on a large sign for an industrial park where they are located. We weren't expecting a tour and didn't ask for one. The woman working in the store was very knowledgeable of the products. She encouraged us to taste a variety of their products which she was very proud of. We just couldn't do that at 11:00 am. We will return some other day in the afternoon. They sell their products through Meijer also so we can shop our local grocery store. Good to know.

We are a "little" hard to find and here is why. Back in 2006 1000% of my spirits had to be sold through the Michigan Liquor Control so when I was looking for a location we just wanted a private location to work. A couple of years after we started a law changed and allowed us to sell our spirits where they are distilled so now I was in the retail business in the wrong location. Local zoning also prevents us from putting up a larger sign out by the road. Anyway thanks for tracking us down and stopping in! Cheers Kent

Reviewed August 11, 2012

No tours were available, but the tasting room was friendly - small but nice, great whiskeys. We didn't understand the whole "no tours during production" thing, though... we've been on the bourbon trail and they are happy to have visitors view the production process. Odd.

torchlake99, Owner at Grand Traverse Distillery, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Hello
We advertise tours from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Thursday, Friday, and Saturdays. Mashing on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday which means the floors are slippery in the production area. Concern is someone slipping and falling. If we had a larger area to work in I believe we could have tours during this process. Our work area is small at this time but this will change in the future.
Sorry we could not get you in, please come back later in the week sometime.
Cheers
Kent

Reviewed July 22, 2012

During our trip to Traverse City we stopped at Grand Traverse Distillery. We started with the mini-tour of the distillery, which was very interesting and informative. Afterwards we were able to sample everything. My husband loved their whiskey. I loved the chocolate vodka. I actually purchased a few bottles to tote back to Indiana with us. They make the most amazing chocolate martini. In the gift shop they even sell small barrel's you can take home and fill. Very, very cool.

1  Thank mcgillicutty
Kent R, Owner at Grand Traverse Distillery, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Thanks for taking the time to come visit the distillery on your trip. I am very happy you enjoyed the chocolate martini. Now its your turn, please send me a new recipe using the chocolate vodka so I can add it to our web site page that features great drinks with our spirits.
Cheers