Little Bohemia - The West End Pub & Eatery
Ranked #73 of 316 Restaurants in Traverse City
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Est. 1932, Traverse City's 2nd Oldest Tavern, started as a hot dog stand with curb side service, outdoor seating, annual ritual of making sauerkraut, and a Speak Easy in the basement. One evening the owner was held up by a couple of Capone’s men, warning him he’d better get his liquor from Capone or else! They were chased off by an employee who was able to sneak to his truck and get his shotgun. Located in the heart of “Little Bohemia” the original owner named it in honor of the Bohemian community; expansions in 1933 and 1947 made it an icon and a premier destination in the city’s West End District. It also basks in the glory of Sir Walter Hagen. The golf legend made a daily stop to “hold court”, play bumper pool and have a few drinks. He lovingly referred to it as his “home away from home.” In 1961, Arnold Palmer won his 1st British Open win; he received a “congratulations” call from Walter Hagen; the call was made from Little Bohemia. Stop by and take in some great local history!
Reviewed September 2, 2014

Had dinner while vacationing in T.C. Best food we had all vacation. Eggplant appetizer the absolute best! Also, the perch and chips. Excellent service, excellent entertainment, will go back again and again. Thank you to Nancy (the manager) for a wonderful experience.

1  Thank ardemis22

Reviewed September 2, 2014

We went based on other good reviews. Sat in the back of the place, which was dirty and had numerous dead insects laying around. I ordered a steak salad, which was OK. Steak was done perfectly, but salad was somewhat wilted. Had asked for vinegar and oil, and the vinegar had fruit flies in it. One lady was upset with our server for not checking it. They did have live entertainment that night, and she was very good. Overall not a good place to eat for me. I like clean.

3  Thank Laura W
Reviewed August 29, 2014 via mobile

We called ahead and asked if we could eat and be out in 30 minutes to catch a movie. They told us it would be no problem. 30 minutes after we ordered our food still had not arrived and we were getting stressed. I ask after our food and they said the fish wasn't thawed and it was going to take 10 more minutes. The food was delicious but we gulped it down in 5 minutes. I was disappointed the waitress did not inform us of the delays in our food prep and I did not leave a tip. The cook called me back and yelled at me after we left. We will not be back.

5  Thank Cgretkie
Reviewed August 24, 2014

Every year we vacation in Traverse City, Michigan, and ways visit Little Bohemia at least once while we are there. Food is tasty and plentiful. Owner is talkative and very friendly, eager to provide the history of the restaurant, which was the primary "watering hole" of Walter Hagen the professional golfer, and to explain the menu. My favorite is the TC, which is a grilled turkey sandwich with cheese, spinach, and their exclusive Traverse City Cherry Mayo. Pricing is reasonable, and the atmosphere is warm with lots of wood. Evening entertainment is live and enjoyable. Although Traverse City has numerous restaurants, Little Bohemia is one that you should put on your list to visit.

1  Thank Patricia L
Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

I use trip advisor all of the time and it's always very accurate except for this restaurant. Very dark atmosphere and uncomfortable seating. The staff were nice but seemed unable to keep up with a non-busy restaurant. We ordered salads and didn't get them before our food came out - the waitress' excuse was that she hates when they bring the food out without her knowing which tells me she would have rather let our food sit there because she didn't get the salads out. The burger came with nothing on it and we had to ask twice to get what was ordered. The fish in the fish and chips was pretty good so we had one good take away at least. I think management has some improvements to make here...

5  Thank Jennifer H