“A rainy day surprise!”

Little Bohemia - Family Tavern in The West End
Ranked #64 of 304 Restaurants in Traverse City
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: LITTLE BOHEMIA, Traverse City's 2nd Oldest Tavern, was built as a hot dog stand in 1932, with Curb Side Service and outdoor seating, an annual ritual of making sauerkraut, and a Speak Easy in the basement. Folks would knock on the back door and go directly to the basement. One evening while closing up the owner was paid a visit by a couple of Al Capone’s men. They held him at gunpoint, warning him he’d better get his liquor from Capone or else! The men were chased off by an employee who was able to sneak out to his truck and get his shotgun; he surprised them; fortunately they never returned. Located in the heart of “Little Bohemia” as the area was known and being of Bohemian descent, the original owner named his business in honor of the Bohemian community that had settled on the west end of the city. Little Bohemia immediately became the gathering place on Saturday nights. At the end of prohibition, the building was expanded to include a tavern and its popularity continued to grow into a Traverse City landmark, now an icon and a premier destination in the city’s West End District. This traditional Michigan tavern has stood the test of time and still maintains its original name. Little Bohemia is blessed with fame in its own right, as the 2nd oldest tavern in Traverse City, but basks in the glory of the late Sir Walter Hagen. The golf legend, who settled on Long Lake after he retired, made a daily stop to “hold court” or play a few games of bumper pool and of course have a few drinks. Mr. Hagen lovingly referred to Little Bohemia as his “home away from home” and often spoke of it during his travels. In 1961, just as he walked off the course from his 1st British Open win, Arnold Palmer received a call from Walter Hagen; a call that was the beginning of a lifelong friendship. “The biggest thrill I got when I set a British Open record of 276 strokes at Troon, was to have Walter Hagen phone me from Little Bo’s in Traverse City to congratulate me,” said Palmer. “I didn’t even know The Haig knew I was alive until then. So when I went to Traverse City to honor him near the end of his life I had to go and visit this place he called his home.” The actual interview can be seen on YouTube; just search Arnold Palmer.Stop by for great home cooking and fast friendly service.
Traverse City, Michigan, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A rainy day surprise!”
Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

The feel of a friendly neighborhood tavern with the food and service to please a broad range of customers. As first time visitors, we enjoyed a late lunch that included the olive burger, perch sandwich, and the extraordinary cherry bread pudding. We can't wait to return and try the Bohemian dinner.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank John Y

Columbus, Ohio
“Off the beaten path in Traverse City, worth the walk!”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The food was great - my son and husband had the meatloaf and said it was the best they had ever had, and I had the Bohemian platter. The pork and sauerkraut were amazing. This was a nice little place with great food and ambience. They have live music at night - just a really nice place with great service at a great price.

1 Thank OliveDog2011
“My husband & I love Little Bohemia!!!”
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I went to Little Bohemia for lunch today. It was our last day in TC for our honeymoon & I read good things about this cute restaurant. The food was amazing! The cherry mayo on the turkey sandwich was delicious! I will be craving this sandwich until we return! My husband loved the olive burger! Best he ever had! The owner was SO friendly & even showed us old photos of the pub. Very interesting & historical! We will definitely be back!!! :)

Orlando, Florida
“Great local meals at a resonible price”
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

Try the cherry bread pudding!!! Yum :). Great olive burger! Try it! Great for family's. Ranay and the manager were great talking to!

Ashland, Oregon
“Best Perch sandwich in years”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This is a small restaurant, very unassuming, with great food and service. My wife and I are on vacation here in Traverse City, Mi., for the 8th year, and this is the first time at Little Bohemia, but will not be the last. I have eaten Perch for years, but this is by far one of the best yet.
I would highly recommend this nice little spot as a must go, if you are visiting.
We are here for 2 weeks and plan on coming back a few times.

ENJOY!!!