“Scrumptious”

The Underground Cheesecake Company
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch
Description: Dessert Boutique and Savory Cafe ; In the Grand Traverse Commons.
Reviewed July 2, 2013

If anyone wants delicious cheesecake, this is the place. I don't go as often because of their move to the Commons, although the parking is very convenient in their most recent location. They also have frozen soups which are great to keep frozen and serve to unexpected company.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

A little out of the way but worth finding. We were told that they make about 50 kinds of cheesecake so the variety changes daily. We went there twice and tried four different kinds. They are a little pricey for a single piece but we were not disappointed in the taste. Will try the sandwiches on our next visit.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Best grilled cheese ever! My favorite is the butternut squash gilled cheese, my partner and I grabbed a couple sandwiches and hit the trails south of The Commons for a picnic. It's a little expensive but totally worth it. I haven't had any dessert items there... yet. Will have to try that next time.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

This cute little shop can be a little hard to find. Look for a small, quaint yellow building tucked around the corner. There are not many tables inside, but there is an outdoor patio. Or, if there is no room to sit, just get your meal to-go and enjoy it somewhere on the surrounding grassy area of The Commons.

The one-room shop combines a tiny dining area with two large glasses cases filled with all their beautiful desserts. You place your own order by lining up at a small counter and marking your selections on a menu form, then handing it to the clerk. There are no stairs, but the tiny space (which includes people standing around waiting for their orders) would be difficult for anyone using a wheelchair or walker.

The soups and sandwiches are "comfort food" done right: meatloaf sandwiches with a red pepper spread, veggies on multigrain bread, grilled cheese on sour dough, stews and bisques... Yes, meals are rather pricey, but so are all the restaurants at The Commons.

But the desserts are probably the star here -- and it's more than cheesecake. Cookies, bars, cakes, brownies, caramel corn... I must confess that I almost prefer their other baked goods to the cheesecake. My only complaint is that the sales clerk never seems to know the product ingredients when questioned (important info when dealing with allergy issues).

And then there are the cheesecakes... You can order them by the slice or take an entire cake home. There are always a large selection -- turtle, cherry, blueberry, almond, chocolate, etc - and each are a masterpiece! But expect to pay for a masterpiece. As of this writing, a 6" cake is $36. A 9" is a whopping $46! The cakes are very thick, so each will serve several slivers, but man...that's a LOT of money for dessert.

All in all, the Underground Cheesecake Company is a great place for a delicious meal if you are flexible about seating (I'd hesitate to arrange a lunch date for fear of not getting a table). And while I love their cheesecakes, I personally find it hard to justify the cost and end my meal with a lemon bar or brownie instead. Yum!

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Cheesecake and Traverse City - we had to visit!
We had a red velvet cheesecake that was wonderful. Price was probably a little high, but not unreasonable.
We bought the cheesecake to go, but they do offer food. We wanted to get drinks, but they didn't have any diet soda - a must with a diabetic in the group.