“Not Group Oriented”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Traverse City
Platte River Campground
Reviewed July 19, 2010

Our site was right off the road so there was very little privacy or gathering space. We had two campsites and there were 9 of us that made the trip together 6 adults and 3 kids. We were warned because we had too many people around the campfire at one of the sites. So even though we had 2 campsites we weren't allowed to gather on one if we had more than 6 people which seems really foolish. The ranger was very rude and handled the whole situation really poorly. We even ended up moving to a different campground because they were so rude. Not a place I would recommend.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
9  Thank pfejulie

Reviewed September 19, 2009

Lovely campground, with spacious campsites. Other campsites are visible from most, but separated by trees and low shrubs. Separate no electricity loop so those of us in tents were not surrounded by RVs. However, campground was pretty full considering that we were there weekdays after labor day. Electric sites were full some nights even in mid-week.The usual variation in noise from occasional barking dog or crying child, conversations at nearby sites, or cell phone calls (why do people talk louder to cell phones???) . One night of late night loud male voices was gone the next after asking park staff to check the next night at posted quiet time hours (10pm). For those wanting more privacy try the walk-in sites or more rustic sites at the campgrounds at north end of the park (less full but smaller sites). Lots to do from renting canoe/kayak to float down the river (small amount of paddling along lake edge), bike on park roads, hike in woods, swim on Lake Michigan beachs

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank a_traveler_too
Reviewed June 11, 2009

My husband and I and two friends stayed at one of the walk in sites - the furthest walk in site, not even a quarter of a mile. I loved it - very secluded and a great spot for the four of us. Fit to smaller tents (one four person, one five person) on the tent pad. Clean bathrooms, fire pit with a grill thing over it. No complaints, if only it hadn't rained, but nothing they can do about that!

Does cost $3 to shower, in case you need that.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jacqs924
Reviewed June 12, 2008

We accepted the responsibility in summer 2007, to drive from our Florida home to serve as volunteer campground hosts at this park for the months of July and August. We had no idea just what to expect, but we stayed on through October, not wanting to leave, until the potential for REALLY BAD weather stared us in the face, forcing our decision to head south.
I cannot say enough about this terrific campground in this amazing national lakeshore! The sites are roomy and nicely wooded. Restrooms are impeccably clean. Late night noise is dealt with immediately IF reported to the hosts or Rangers. Tubing, kayaking, and canoeing are available on the Platte River. Lake Michigan is a short drive, bike ride, or hike from the campground. We are anxious to return as volunteers in summer 2008, and we are expecting another great experience.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank JaxCampers
Reviewed September 20, 2006

I don't live very far from this campground, but always enjoy a weekend camping trip here just to get away. The most stressful thing about the campground is getting the site! Even in mid-September, I had to wait in line at the ranger station to get a spot (you cannot make reservations after Labor Day) the morning I wanted to check-in. That shows how popular this campground is! The sites are spacious and wooded. The only sites that I've seen that I would consider "bad," are the sites right behind the bathroom buildings. My boyfriend and I did have some noisy neighbors in 2005 when we stayed here, but this time everyone was on their best behavior--even the 6 college guys in the campsite right behind us! The bathrooms are clean, the showers are hot, and the surroundings are what really make this place great. My friend and I went on a 5 mile hike (there's a 14 mile loop of trails that you can start right from the campground) and had a great time. I look forward to camping there again soon!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with friends
4  Thank kfreebay
Reviewed August 30, 2006

We just returned from a camping trip to the Platte River Campground. I was anxious to see what the campground was like since the last time I visited there as a child, I was there for 3 weeks & loved the heavily wooded sites & the beautiful area. We were happy to see that not much had changed with the exception of pads to park your camper on..not able to be in the back of your site unless in a tent but all in all still secluded. Unforntunately, there is little oversight into what is allowed to go on in the campground. Their rules state that noise is to kept at a level that would not disturb other campers. What a joke. We were across from a family with a rottweiler who barked constinately at every person or animal that went by. Everyone got to know this dogs name very well. The family was extremely loud & brought plenty of sports equipment to play with in the street and in others camp sites. They finally quieted down at about 1:30 a.m. There were several sites down from us who had children screaming & playing hide n seek in the woods around the campground all evening. Needless to say, it was a zoo. No ranger or camp host ever drove around to do anything about it.
On day two, a family with relatives in the sites from the previous night, pitched a tent in the site next to ours. They all decided to gather there and proceeded to put on a musical play in the woods on top of our site. They sang at the top of their lungs for well over an hour, it was so loud that we couldn't talk to each other while we were trying to eat our dinner. (Mind you, we have four children ourselves, who were not allowed to disturb other campers). After sitting there listening to this over and over again, my husband yelled out to be quiet. Next thing we knew, the camp host approached out site and said he had gotten a complaint that we had yelled at other campers kids and that we were not allowed to do that. He said that he was in a site down the road and didn't hear a thing either night. What was he doing...sitting there in his RV with his t.v. & headphones on? We tried to explain that we did not confront anyone...we yelled out from our screen tent in our own site. He wouldn't listen and told my husband that he would get the ranger if we couldn't come to some agreement. My husband said fine and let it go. Quite honestly, why couldn't we yell out whatever we wanted since everyone else was free to do so? After he left, the family started right in again. We packed up and were out of there by 10:30 p.m. We ended up driving all night to get home. My husband went up to the ranger station and told them we were leaving out of principle. Why were we repremanded when we did nothing wrong? He did get an I'm sorry from them but then was told that neither the rangers or camp hosts knew what was going on in the campground. They should know whats happening by making rounds and overseeing it.
After speaking with other people we know who have camped there, we found out that it's common at this campground. If you are looking for a relaxing escape in the woods, this is not for you. If you are looking to camp around others who respect other campers, don't go here. We spent time in both Ludington State park & Hoffmaster State park this summer and can honestly say that as jammed as these parks get, you can hear a pin drop at 9 p.m. and rangers or staff make constant rounds overseeing the park. You won't get the seclusion you do at Platte River but then you have to weigh that against the draw backs.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
13  Thank camper123456
Reviewed July 23, 2006

Okay, the good parts about this campground are that it's beautiful. The campsites are decent sized for a single or even 2 tents, and the bathrooms are pretty clean. Lake michigan is a short hike away, or drive down the road. The downsides to this campground are many however when camping with a group of people. Every single rule they tell you about is STRICTLY enforced. They have rectangles in the ground that you MUST stay within with your tents. 3 tents or 2 big tents is a very tight fit. They will make you move them if they see you have them outside the lines. They also strictly enforce parking on the pavement. I was woken up my first morning to find a ticket saying I had to move my vehicle because one tire was a few inches off the pavement. Yes, literally only a few inches. The worst part is the noise enforcement. The quiet hours at this campground are 10pm-6am and are also strictly enforced. If you like staying up by a campfire and talking in anything above a wisper, then this isn't the campground for you. The sound travels pretty well through the woods and you'll hear SHHHHH from nearby campers quite regularly if it's past 10. The other part was that the camp rangers are not very friendly if any of their rules are broken. Even though we were quiet by 10pm if you had made noise earlier apparently they have the right to issue noise violations (a 120$ fine) which one of our campers received in our group. Even though they were perfectly quiet after the quiet hours began, simply because of an irked nearby camper who complained about noise at 8:50 pm. Two other drawbacks to this campground are that you have to pay for showers, a decent one being 3 tokens which amounts to 1.50$. The second one is having to get up at the crack of dawn and wait in a line for a site since this campground is generally very busy during the summertime. If you plan on using this campground, also make sure you get to the campground and unpacked before the quiet hours start as the noise will definitely be too much for their strict noise rules. All in all, a nice campground with unprofessional rangers (at least the 1 we met who was very rude to us) and campers who like a noiseless campground. have fun!

Stayed: July 2006