“What a great find!”

Phil's On Front
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Wow. Wow. And Wow! What a blast, in a really civilized way. This place had a cluster of tables up front surrounding the live entertainment that brought many to crowd around and dance. And it wasn't embarrassing even though many of them did not come together but were just having fun! The back section seemed a bit empty given we were there around 10:00 on Saturday night. All good. Very good!

Reviewed August 27, 2012

The food at Phil's on Front is excellent. I was really impressed with how delicious everything tasted. (Culinary Expertise).
Although the food tasted excellent I think the dishes were overpriced.
Phil's on Front is more of a special occasion kind of place. One of the most expensive
restaurants in town!

1  Thank adrianna24sings
Reviewed August 23, 2012

It is a real shame to have to post my first review ever about a place that was so highly recommended. While the service was pretty good (even though the waitress had not tried some of the dishes), the food was not good at all. The chicken special was drenched in sauce and covered with a large amount of garlic that I can still taste days later. The side was bland and had no seasoning on it (and was drowning in the sauce at the bottom). In addition, the "famous bread pudding" was a very small and comparative to a pile of mush. The rest of my party also had subpar dishes and the only good thing I can mention is the salad was actually the best part of the meal (sad as that is). Did I mention the food was WAY overpriced? Perhaps they should call Gordon Ramsey have him feature them on an episode of Kitchen Nightmares... It might help...

1  Thank Rick B
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Probably the worst dinner we have ever had in TC. Steak was undercooked, the quail was overlooked and stuffed with what I'm guessing was supposed to be risotto but tasted like rice a roni (or what I would imagine rice a roni would taste like). Calamari fries had a very strange taste and texture. The mushrooms appeared to be from a can and the vegetables frozen. Extremely disappointing given the fact that there are so many other quality restaurants in the area to choose from.

Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

As a family who eats out often we expect our family to be treated with the same respect as any other diners. My children are very well behaved but as with all children, sometimes they ask for something plain or a substitution. We have been at far finer restaurants who are happy to accommodate small requests. Our waiter was generally rude and acted put out to be waiting on us at all and when I asked for a simple vegetable substitution he told us they were far to busy to accommodate substitutions. He avoided our table, never smiled once and acted annoyed when I asked for another minute to review the menu initially. I did not feel comfortable there and to be honest, we ate better meals and were treated gracefully everywhere else in TC and Charlevoix...even for fine dining.