“Spring break 2014” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Dayton, Ohio
“Spring break 2014”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

This was a great visit for the family. We had a one bedroom which was sufficient for the 5 of us. The lake was still *frozen*, but we enjoyed the view! I bet it is amazing in the summer when you can open your door and be on the beach. We found the full kitchen to be helpful for a few meals a day which saves money for a family! They even went out and bought a corkscrew for us when we asked for one at the front desk!! We enjoyed the pool daily and found something to do each day in the area. The facilities are a little older, but we found everything to be clean and up to date inside the rooms. The kids brought the wii and had a game room in the bedroom. I was worried about the noise this would cause, but I honestly did't hear any neighbors the entire week! I hope they didn't hear us :)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Rochester Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

We have vacationed at this resort for 30 years. A lot has changed in the area in that time. This resort has kept pace. The units have undergone several updates. All units have a view of the bay. 1st level units have a walkout to a grassy area that is a buffer before you get to the sandy beach. 2nd and 3rd floor units have full balconies with patio furniture to enjoy the view. Units have full kitchens and living rooms with large flat panel TV's. The area is loaded with all the summer activities and a wide selection of quality restaurants.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Commerce Township, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

We had a 3 day family excursion to Traverse City for some wine tasting the weekend before Thanksgiving. The 2 bedroom condo was plenty of room for 4 adults. The place was very clean with beautiful views of the east bay out every room in the condo. There was a severe snow storm on Saturday and the grounds crew were on top of the snow maintenance. The desk personnel were very pleasant and helpful at check in and check out. Looking to stay here in the summer so we can use the beach.

Room Tip: Room 335 highly recommended. Remodeled within the last few years.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Perry S
Traverse City, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

By far the best beach in Traverse City. You can walk forever on a sugar sand beach or swim in nice shallow water that gradually deepens. Plus a great indoor pool for bad weather days. We love to stay off season and enjoy the pool. The rooms are nice. Clean, updated and well appointed.

Room Tip: I like the top floor for a beautiful view of the Bay and no one making noise above me.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank wendyGK12345
Whitmore Lake
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

After leaving the Bates Motel (Sands) we landed at the Pinestead Reef.
Very nice accommodation's with a good last minute reservation.
Clean and right on the water.
Beach was well cared for and parking was adequate.
The frontage road is busy and a bit noisy.

Room Tip: Second Floor Rooms
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank Glenn F
Detroit, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

We had a great time at the Pinestead Reef Resort. It is located right on East Bay near Traverse City and every room faces the water. The facility is a completely furnished condo with good quality leather sofas, 2 HD TVs, complete kitchen with dishes, toaster, blender, pans, microwave and dishwasher. The refrigerator has an ice maker and plenty of storage. Both the main living area and bedroom has sliding doors onto a balcony (or patio on the ground floor) with patio furniture...a great place for an early morning cup of coffee or late night cocktail. There are great common areas that include an indoor pool, sauna, Jacuzzi, game room, fitness center and just lovely sitting areas around a grand fireplace. The staff was very friendly and welcoming. The price during off peak times was very reasonable and included housekeeping every other day. It is a great location for sighting- seeing around Traverse City, the Leelanau peninsula, Mission peninsula, Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore and other quaint towns and cities. Check online for a special internet price.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank michiganman1968
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

First off, I have to say that this place is very clean, very beautiful, and in a great location. The grounds and rooms are gorgeous and the beach has the softest sand I think I have ever felt. As soon as my son and i arrived, we were in awe at the room, which was very clean, modern and well equipped with probably the nicest, newest furniture I've seen in a hotel. However, I have to warn people that the next morning I discovered a bug crawling on the bathroom floor. When I went to kill it with a piece of toilet paper, a large amount of blood came from it. At first I didn't think much of it (except that the bug had way more blood than it should for such a little creature), but then when i went to fix the bedding in the bed I had slept in, I discovered another one crawling on a pillow. I killed this one with tissue as well, and hoped that these were the only two! I had my son check for pictures of bed bugs on his phone and the images he showed me matched what I had seen. I then pulled back the fitted sheet to check the creases of the mattress and did not find anymore bugs...to my relief. I called the front desk to tell them and asked for garbage bags, which I went to retrieve. We very carefully put everything (including my purse) into the garbage bags and closed them tight. We banged out our shoes outside of the room to ensure nothing was in them, and the plastic garbage bags as well, before loading them in our vehicle. When I returned to the front desk to check out, I asked for the manager and informed him of the situation. He was genuinely concerned and understood that this is a real problem for hotels right now. He advised that he had not had any other reports, so I am hoping that it is early and the Pinestead can treat this problem before it gets out of hand. I reiterate that this resort is very, very clean and absolutely beautifully maintained. The staff are excellent and I would love to stay there again with my family, provided the matter of bed bugs is resolved. I understand how easily bed bugs travel and infest. It is always good practice (and always my practice, except for in this instance) to check the bed bug registry and inspect the mattress seams for hotels you plan to stay at. These pests are no longer just located in the bigger city hotels and you don't want to bring them home with you. As for ensuring we don't bring this problem home (an approach anyone else might want to take), I have everything still in my garage (including the clothes we wore home that we changed out of an bagged right in the garage), double garbage bagged, and sprayed with raid for bed bugs (which you can get at Wal-mart). After a couple of days I am going to carefully put everything in the dryer, then the washer, then the dryer again...so basically, suffocate them, poison them, cook them, drown them, then cook them again...I'm thinking extreme measures are appropriate in this case. Sites will tell you heat is the best, so the dryer is the best and most essential step.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family