“Nice setting, attentive staff, limited menu, expensive”
Review of Cooks' House

Cooks' House
Ranked #56 of 316 Restaurants in Traverse City
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 25, 2014

We went there to celebrate two anniversaries, and were disappointed in the very limited menu offerings. The food was well prepared, but our steaks were tough. My husband loved his poached quail egg, which was served on top of the duck entree. The drinks were top notch, the best Margarita we've ever had! The service was excellent, as was the wine list. We had eaten at their previous place, but this was the first time we were able to get dinner reservations when we wanted them at this location. The meal for the four of us was well over $300, and we'll have to think twice about returning. There are so many good eating places in Traverse City, and we've eaten at most of them, too bad this one didn't quite pan out the way we would have liked it to.

Reviewed August 24, 2014

I compared this to Victoria and Alberts in the Grand Floridian Hotel, Disney World however, only a third of the price. The Cooks House was by far one of the best dining experiences I have had in all the travels I have been to and I am absolutely a foodie! I honestly almost told them that they need to raise their prices as the food was absolutely amazing! It was the best whitefish I have EVER had and you can see the passion in all the chefs in the kitchen. Bravo Cooks House! Cant wait for my return trip to TC to indulge there again!

2  Thank hatmandew
Reviewed August 21, 2014

Read great reviews on this establishment and made a reservation, arrived on time but were kept waiting 15 minutes, standing in the middle of this very small restaurant until they finally set one of the two empty tables for us. From the time we were seated (8:45) til we fist met our waiter was 27 minutes...we started counting. He finally approached the table, not apologizing for leaving us alone for so long, nor did he ask how our evening was going, but instead said "Are you ready to order?" Who knows if Cook's House had any specials or recommendations? This was the last time we saw this gentlemen, our waiter, until he brought us a check at 10:36. To paint a fully honest picture, his serving assistants did whisk in and out to refill water and replaced used utensils...but zero dialogue took place. The owner was in house but was sitting with friends instead of taking care of patrons. We have loved dining in Traverse City but cannot recommend the Cook's House.

9  Thank james b
Reviewed August 20, 2014

I had hemmed and hawed over dinner reservations in Traverse City and finally chose Cook's House. I was lucky there was a cancellation, really really lucky because it was a really splendid dinner. We weren't hungry enough to get the tasting menu, but ended up ordering two appetizers and a salad each. The food was excellent, with distinct flavors and a richness that wasn't heavy-handed. The amuse bouche (pork rillettes) induced my mostly-vegeterian friend to jump off the wagon, and she pronounced it good. The rabbit gnocchi was unbelievably good - rabbit can be dry but not this. The duck salad and sausage/spaetzle were excellent. I was not keen on the cocktails we ordered, but we enjoyed the local wine that was recommended. The service was friendly and attentive - although I could have done without the waiter having to reach behind us for the pepper mill so often. My other qualm was that the small space meant that the party of 10 next to us pretty much monopolized the whole room's conversation. But I've been in that party of 10 in a small space before and I don't begrudge their good time nor do I blame the restaurant, it's just one of those things that other diners should be aware of if they're sensitive to noise. The food was totally worth the visit and I would definitely go back if I ended up in TC again.

Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

Went for dinner with 2 girlfriends and enjoyed every bite of Chef's tasting menu. Wine pairings were fantastic. Service anticipated all of our needs. Food is unique, fresh, inventive, creates an experience you will take with you. Definitely in my top 5 favorite meals of all time! Chefs Jennifer & Eric really have created something special here.

2  Thank baconmj