“Run, do not walk, it's amazing!!”
Review of Cooks' House

Cooks' House
Ranked #48 of 299 Restaurants in Traverse City
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Brooklyn, New York
“Run, do not walk, it's amazing!!”
Reviewed October 16, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

If you can get in this restaurant for dinner, count your lucky stars. I visited with friends this past sumer and we could not get a dinner reservation for the entire month of August and into September. SO, we went in the afternoon for small plates and wow was it delicious. Some of the best food I have ever had in my life, and I am a very picky foodie. Suitable for vegetarians. Menu changes constantly. You will not be disappointed!

Visited August 2013

Lansing, Michigan
“Amazing food”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My husband and I wanted to celebrate my birthday with something special.The overall experience at this restaurant was wonderful. We ordered the 7 course meal and each part was delicious. It was cozy but decadent at the same time. It was fun to watch our meals being prepared, we could see the kitchen from our table. The tomato gazpacho with goat cheese ice cream was my favorite along with the cheese plate and spicy pumpkin brittle. It takes a while for your full meal so expect to relax and enjoy!

“Just superb?”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

What a great restaurant! Very small and intimate. The service was impeccable and the food, divine!! Great wines by the glass. There were tasting menus but we weren't hungry enough for that. I am a vegan and the chef went out of her way to make me delicious and interesting foods! What fun it was to sample each surprise made especially for me!

1 Thank Susieforthebecki
White Lake, Michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great 7-course meal for special occasions”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We had been told by my wife's boss that Cook's House was the best restaurant in Traverse City and he was right. If you want a great dining experience, this is one of the best in Michigan. I ordered the 7-course meal, which featured probably the best NY Strip and mashed potatoes I've ever had. The steak was cooked medium-rare, which is usually a little undercooked for me, but after one bite, I was hooked. The hubbard squash soup to start the meal was incredibly rich and had remarkable flavor. I had always loved my wife's squash soup, but I don't think it will ever taste the same after this. The 7-course meal also featured a pork-risotto dish, salad, lake trout, a cheese plate and a sorbet dessert. All of the food was cooked to perfection and offered a variety of incredible tastes.

The atmosphere is quaint and unique as the dining room is in the living room of an old house on Wellington St. There are only 6 tables, so you must call for reservations and in the summer you might need to call several weeks in advance. The wait staff was attentive, knowledgeable and friendly. They knew and understood the menu and were able to make suggestions. The chef came out to each table at some point during the night to talk to his patrons. He was very friendly and you could tell how much he cared about the diner's experience.

This is an expensive restaurant, so if you are looking for a deal, go to Applebees. You are going to spend an average of $60 per person for food, plus drinks/wine. The incredible taste and attentive staff are worth the higher costs though. A night out here is reserved for special occasions, but I'm definitely happy we went to the Cook's House. It was nearly a 3-hour meal, but it was a great night out and an experience we won't forget.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Rob H
Detroit, Michigan
“Best Restaurant in Northern Michigan”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

This place is classy without being pretentious. I love that there are only several tables here. The food is delicious and the service was fantastic. This is easily the best restaurant in northern Michigan and maybe all of Michigan. Eat here if you have a chance. You won't be disappointed.