“Nice trip and very helpful, friendly staff”

Tall Ship Manitou - Day Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Join us aboard the 114' SCHOONER MANITOU as we ply the sparkling waters of Grand Traverse Bay. Sailing out of Traverse City, MI, Manitou offers three two hour sails per day as well as an adventurous "Floating Bed and Breakfast" package.
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We took a family trip,on the noon boat and really enjoyed it. The crew was super friendly to adults and children and it was a lovely view. The kids got to drive the boat,help with the sails and talk to the crew. My son has special needs and the crew was super kind and patient, giving him equal turn and answered his millions of questions with a smile. The had wine, beer and soft drinks for us to purchase. Highly recommend it as a nice afternoon in Traverse City.

2  Thank Noel G
"great sailing"
"available for purchase"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed June 24, 2013

A beautiful day capped off a two hour sail in the
Bay. While the sail itself was rather tame, the crew made the whole experience enjoyable. As the sail got underway, passengers were engaged to help hoist sails. The different types of sails were explained and watching them being raise was intriguing. After the sails were raised sodas, beer, and wine were available for purchase. One member of the crew brought out a fiddle and entertained the passengers with old time and
Irish tunes.

1  Thank WestSideGal
Reviewed June 19, 2013

While not cheap, the trip was a 'good value.' The crew worked hard with the sailing and invited the passengers to assist in raising the sails and other minor tasks. They (the crew) also talked with all of us informally - about where they were from, how they ended up on a sailing ship, and so on. They also learned about where we were from and what we were doing in Traverse City.
The sailing under wind power is very quiet (no motor) and relaxing. We certainly enjoyed it. Clear, calm weather probably helped. :o)
If you go, take a windbreaker as it can get cold on the water.
Highly recommended.

1  Thank Jim F
Reviewed June 2, 2013

My wife and I set sail for their 3 o'clock sail and it was a little chilly, but that was expected for the time/season. Check in is right behind the children's museum at a little cabin and instead of using the provided chairs and shade tent, we chose to stand in the sun while we waited for our shuttle to take us to the dock. The shuttle bus driver was quick in making her rounds to get all the passengers over to the ship and I didn't feel I had to wait long after check in. I was thankful that I didn't have to cross that busy road where there is no cross walk and the driver did mention that its some highway regulation for the business, so I didn't mind at all.
The safety speech the coast guard makes the crew give to us all was done in a lighthearted manor and was informative enough so that I knew where I could safely walk around once on the water.
I'm fairly content to just sit and sail, but my wife likes to ask a lot of questions and the crew didn't seem to mind one bit. We were able to see some of the quarters below and the area that is reserved for dining and the woodwork is kept in great repair and clean.
I knew, before going out, that we would be staying in the bay and I wondered how I would stay entertained for two hours, but it went by very quickly. On our sail, the passengers helped raise the sails and got to eat some ice cream. Each cup had two flavors and I liked both. We asked if they had other options to eat since we would probably want to bring my son and he can't eat ice cream and they said we could ask for their sorbet when we schedule our next trip. Overall, I would recommend this trip for people that want an experience that you can't just find in any old tourist town.