“Walked Out! Not at all Customer Service Oriented!”
Review of Tuscan Bistro

Tuscan Bistro
Ranked #74 of 299 Restaurants in Traverse City
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Traverse City, Michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Walked Out! Not at all Customer Service Oriented!”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I wanted to take a friend, who was here from out of town, to Tuscan Bistro and was very surprised at the less than warm welcome we received. I typically take this friend to try a new restaurant with me whenever she visits and this time we had seen the reviews, and the restaurant had been recommended to me as being a very authentic Italian restaurant...and being being that I am Italian from a family of food aficionados I was looking forward to the experience. Also, having had more than 15 years in the food service industry (from the kitchen lines at the Golden Mushroom and Restaurant Duglass and Duglass Duglass) I was looking forward to finally having food of a level to which I was accustomed to eating.

Well, we two ladies walked in and the hostess showed us (in an empty restaurant with only 10 cars in the lot) to this table that was not more than 18" X 24" next to a patio door. I looked at the table, the location and said that I preferred not to sit next to a door, which was actually all on it's own..in a very weird location of the restaurant. She then took us to a table that couldn't have been more than 18" X 18". I looked at the hostess and said, umm, we're here to eat, we love food and I don't think you could get two dinner plates and a bread plate and glasses and silver wear on that table...all at the same time. She just stood there and I was so surprised to note that two gentlemen in either Chef wear or possibly that is what their server's wear...just stood there and neither one of the offered any suggestions. I looked at my girlfrend and she said, well we could just go...and no one offered any other words, such as how about the table right next to this one? The place was literally empty and of course they said there was an event later that night (we were there at 5:15 in the evening) but I knew the 4 top right next to the small table she offered us was open...and yet they were happier to see us leave than to have us spend over $100 on food and apps (which we happily spent at Stella Tratoria for 2 apps, 2 dinners and 2 desserts) on a table large enough for us to actually want to sit at and eat..and order more food than we could eat.

I'm dumbfounded to know that this is a Chef owned restaurant and very sad to know that this town remains totally oblivious to what the word Customer Service means, especially in a town which is supposed to be a resort town that caters to out of towners. If this were a restaurant in Detroit, or the suburbs just outside of Detroit, a city that thrives on competition and good food and service, I would never have been allowed to leave without even an I'm sorry from the staff.

Very Sad!!! I may try them at lunch, when there are zero cars in the lot, by myself, maybe then I'll have a chance at a decent table for 1!!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank 143laurab143

New York City, New York
“GREAT”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We ate here for the first time. We ate.....Orecchiette, Bean Soup and Penne al Pomodoro. All were great and we would eat here again. They have indoor and outdoor seating. The service and food both were great.

• Visited June 2013
Frankfort, Michigan
“Tasty and Pleasant”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Good competent cooking and a pleasant staff. I had the Veal Picatta. The veal was prepared well, fork tender, with the mushroom sauce deliciously redolent of porcini - nicely done. The potato pancakes that came with it were plump with a crispy exterior and nice potato flavor (I wonder if they thinned the batter out if they would be capable of making some of the deliciously thin pancakes with crispy edges?) - anyway, they were not the pasted together hash browns that seem to pass for potato pancakes in these parts. A good wine list. The restaurant is well appointed and not noisy, so one can converse easily here.

• Visited May 2013
Loveland, Ohio
“Have Portion Sizes Changed for early Bird?”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We've been going to Tuscan Bistro for the Early Bird special for 3 or 4 years now, but we were disappointed by the size of the entree on our last visit. We'd have gladly ordered a regular dinner if we'd known that you inly get the smaller-sized entree. Food's still delicious, though, as is the atmosphere and service.

• Visited April 2013
Toledo, Ohio
“Great Italian Dining”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Our dining experience at Tuscan was a pleasure. We began our dinner with glasses of wine from Viticcio to go along with the best mussels I have had. If you enjoy mussels, you owe yourself to give them a try. Our entrees were the salmon and rigatoni. The salmon was excellent as was the rigatoni. However, because of the large portion of rigatoni, I would have ordered the half dinner. A very relaxing casual venue with an upscale menu.

• Visited April 2013