“Always good...”
Review of Red Ginger

Red Ginger
Reserve with OpenTable
Red Ginger is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 320 Restaurants in Traverse City
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

I've always had a decent meal here. You can't go wrong with the sushi...I like the lobster sushi...yum. Cool drink list. Definitely a place to see and be seen. Reservations a good idea.

2  Thank Wife2Foodie

Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Overall very good place! Great vibe, great atmosphere! Asian is a tough subject for me as a chef, because it tends to be so typical, almost cookie cutter, in America. With that said, its still high quality and very cool!

1  Thank Mike R
Reviewed February 26, 2013

A friend and I chose to dine at Red Ginger as part of the Traverse City Restaurant Week promotion. We secured 5:30 PM reservations a week in advance. Upon our slightly early arrival we were greeted in a friendly manner and asked if we would like our coats taken to their coat room. We opted to keep them and were taken promptly to our table.

This is my third time dining at Red Ginger and the first time I realized the dining room has an “L” shape. During my previous visits we always sat in the booths in front of the kitchen. The table to which we were ushered was on the window but tucked into the corner. My dining partner commented on what I did bad to deserve such a table. It was a little cramped and a little narrower than I would have liked, but I knew seating would be at a premium. I had my back to the window and had a full view of the dining room. It was nearly full by 6 PM.

As is the custom at Red Ginger you are served by two members of the wait staff both of whom introduce themselves to you. Both were very pleasant and efficient. At times our primary waiter felt a little too attentive, but I’d rather have that then no revisits during our dining time. He was very willing to answer any questions we might have had, but we couldn’t come up with any.

We ordered two small plates prior to placing our Restaurant Week order. The Crab Rangoon actually tasted of crab rather than cream cheese! They were shaped like Mexican Taquitos, and in a light spring roll wrapper. The two dipping sauces (a sweet & sour and hot mustard) were not your typical sauces. The sweet & sour was a little fruity and the hot mustard wasn’t the ‘clean your sinuses’ type rather it had a hint of sweetness in its own right. The other small plate was a nice portion of steamed Edamame that was lightly salted. We opted for the small plates in lieu of beverages as water worked just fine.

For Restaurant Week you pick three courses, an appetizer, entrée and dessert. I chose to do Sushi with a Spicy Tuna Roll for an appetizer, and then a Red Dragon Roll and California Roll for my entrée followed by Thai Coconut Rice Pudding with a Coconut Mango Rum Sauce. All three of these items are on the regular menu. My friend chose the Lamb Springrolls with rice noodles, shiitake mushrooms, fresh basil, scallion-chili dipping sauce; Char Siu Pork Lo Mein which was Chinese roast barbecue pork, fresh wheat noodles, carrot, bok choy, soy; and Chocolate Sorbet house made dark chocolate sorbet, Mandarin tuille.

I loved my sushi choices. The tuna was dark red and rich in flavor; it was a little less firm than other ahi tuna I’ve had in the past, but still quite enjoyable. My only complaint was that it was thoroughly lacking any spice whatsoever. My dining companion who has little tolerance for heat didn’t detect any either. I just added a bit of the accompanying wasabi to add a little heat. The California Roll was the typical preparation with crab, cucumber, and avocado. The Red Dragon Roll was lump crab meat, spicy mayonnaise, avocado, scallion, tobiko (flying fish roe), and unagi (eel). The sweetness of the Red Dragon roll paired beautifully with the saltiness of the available soy sauce. The dessert was just a tiny scoop of rice pudding and very much the perfect size. A fine sliver of mango was over the caramelized top with artfully presented sauces puddling around the pudding.

I was able to try a little of my friends items as well. I typically do not enjoy lamb, but was quite pleased with the spring rolls. I found there to be a mild orange flavor to them. The Pork Lo Mein was served as a little nest, but once mixed about the plate was a rather large serving. The meat wasn’t overly tender and had a sweet BBQ flavor. I personally thought there would have been more ‘topping’ to the noodles as the meat and veggies seemed lost in the noodle nest once spread about the plate. The chocolate sorbet was a unique experience. You were expecting the creaminess of an ice cream, but instead you got this awesome dark chocolate flavor without the richness of a typical frozen treat.

Throughout the meal my water glass remained filled and several new pieces of silverware were brought out to accompany the different courses. Our check was brought in a timely manner and we were never made to feel rushed. I was pleased to see they added more choices to their restaurant week menu as the past two years it seemed to be awfully similar from year to year. This is definitely a place to visit for the creative offerings, elegant atmosphere, and classy service.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Another wonderful pre-Comedy Fest Happy Hour. We had a tray of the spicy tuna rolls and one of the California rolls. A Cosmopolitan for Cinderella and a Hendricks up for me. Perfection !
We love this place. Dan and his staff are top notch !
Jim and Linda Munro
Korner Kottage bed & Breakfast
Suttons Bay, MI

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Great bartender, wonderful menu and chef, service outstanding, very fresh and delicious . Will return whenever in town.

1  Thank Jim S