“A Total Waste”
Review of Gaijin - CLOSED

Gaijin
Reviewed June 21, 2018 via mobile

Going, going, and thankfully it is finally gone.
Maybe they will convert it back to the Subway it used to be.

Date of visit: June 2018

Reviewed October 22, 2017

The staff was great! The noodle bowels amazing, the price really good! We have been twice in less then a month we enjoy it so much!

Date of visit: October 2017
1  Thank kalenmith
Reviewed September 20, 2017

Gaijin just reopened and I just had one of the best meals I've ever had in Traverse City. The restaurant has been redone to simulate a Japanese dining experience. There were 4 of us and we ordered the Chef's Choice, which cost us $25 each ($100 total). The food came in an endless stream. We were given three dishes that were grilled skewers (each dish had 4 skewers). One was Chicken Thigh, one was the best Pork Belly I've ever had and one was a combination of Shishito and Apple. Then came 4 pieces of sashimi, followed by a Mushroom Spread with fried rice chips (I'm attaching a picture of this) and an Heirloom Tomato and Corn Salad. I actually thought we were done, but then the main dishes came! There was Motoyaki, an absolutely amazing dish that consisted of a seared scallop, aged ponzu and togarashi aioli. Then came a large bowl of smashed potatoes (I've also attached a picture of this dish) and then a Koji New York Strip Steak (which, I've again attached a picture of). The steak deserves a special mention. The chef takes Koji rice, which according to Wikipedia is "...is a filamentous fungus (a mold) used in Chinese and other East Asian cuisines ... to saccharify rice, other grains, and potatoes in the making of alcoholic beverages such as huangjiu, sake, makgeolli, and shōchū." He takes this saccharifyed rice and grinds it up and rubs it on the steak. This rub In 48 hours ages the beef to a flavor that is normally obtained only with 30 days of aging. It produces a deep, rich flavor that if you like aged beef, you will love. Finally, the meal ended with a pear sorbet. Now we did not know what we were going to get when we ordered - it was the Chef's selection, but every dish was outstanding. I don't know whether we got so much food because it was the night of their reopening and whether what we received will be the standard going forward. but we were amazed.

To top it all off, and I'm not kidding about this, our waiter was a forager who is licensed in Michigan to find and sell mushrooms. He not only forages the restaurant's mushrooms but also the ingredients they use in their custom made drinks. By the way, there are no regular sodas here. Do try their sumac soft drink, made from local sumac foraged by our waiter! By the way, the rest of the wait staff were wonderful too.

So, run, don't walk, to get into this redone restaurant. Once the word gets out my guess is that the wait for reservations will be long!

Date of visit: September 2017
2  Thank Robert A
Reviewed September 15, 2017

I am late submitting this review and I see from their website a new menu is coming, but in July I must say the old menu was pretty doggone good.My daughter and I were excited by how different than many asian restaurants it was. The selections were nothing like anything we had before. The presentations were unique. It was fun PLUS the food was great. My daughter avoids gluten and it was easy there. It was truly a dining experience.

Date of visit: July 2017
1  Thank crystalhaven
Reviewed September 6, 2017 via mobile

Go to Walmart and get a box of Ramon noodles.
You will have a better meal and save a whole lot of money.

Date of visit: August 2017