“Interesting experience”

Journeyman Distillery
Ranked #1 of 14 Restaurants in Three Oaks
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff
Description: Journeyman Distillery is an Organic Distillery, located in the EK Warren historic featherbone factory, in Three Oaks, Michigan. We offer handcrafted artisan spirits with a focus on whiskey. Our products come from the simplest, purest ingredients on earth.We invite you to explore throughout the historic building and take a look through our gallery windows which let you view the distillation process as it happens. We distill, bottle, label, and package each spirit at the distillery. Tours: Monday-Thursday: 12:30 PM Friday: 12:30 PM, 4:30 PM, 8:00 PM Saturday: 12:30 PM, 2:00 PM, 3:30 PM, 5:00 PM, 8:00 PM Sunday: 12:30 PM, 2:00 PM, 3:30 PM, 5:00 PM Please sign up on our web site
Chicago
“Interesting experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

This is not really a restaurant but a distillery which is focused on tours and tasting. This is a young company which I hope works on their marketing and staff so that they will survive.
Their product ranges from clear vodka rum gin and whiskey to several amber whiskeys. We had to hunt for this one. I was curious and glad we went. You can schedule yourself into a tour online which is handy. We were not hungry and no one seemed to be eating although they have a limited menu. There is a bar as you come in with high stools and tables around the bar. The other room appeared to be set up tp accommodate those on the tour. You could chose from two flights with four tastes in a flight- the light was $3 and the whiskey was $4. We were given a paper with the information and a taste and a glass of water to chase. The alcohol was okay- we liked the vodka the best - sorry I do not remember what they used to make it- see what I mean- not much customer service or interaction from the servers.

The good- the place was very clean and totally renovated.
The location is behind the main street in this little town and without mapquest and the little blue dot I would not have found it.
The alcohol-IMO - is all personal taste and I know I am quite particular but it was okay - did not buy anything- thought it was pricy.
Suggestions- need to talk up their product at the bar and offer an incentive to buy. Maybe if you buy, they apply your cost of the flight to your purchase. DH says that the combo of all the tastes would probably be equal to a shot - I think it was pretty scant.
Frustration- I think they have a decent product and I know they are a young company - they had business but people had to ask for help now seriously it was a bar - why else would someone be there - guess they need to brush up their skills and hope they do and that they do succeed.
IMO- give them a try. Maybe I just walked in at a busy time and they are still adjusting to things
Would I go back- probably not because it was a novelty stop for us- wanted to see what a distillery would be like in Michigan and now I know.

• Visited July 2012